• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Dino: it was indeed those models we were comparing, and I remember talking about how much cheaper the Les Historiques chrono was (and is!) for a handsome platinum "Big Three" chronograph. As I said, I actually like the platinum Perpetual Chrono above a great deal - pushers and all. The size, shape, dial, even the pushers, add up to something with real personality. I have neither the knowledge nor the wisdom to explain why the look of the movement didn't quite sing to me as much as I thought it should have: for $150k, it's no longer cheap next to a Patek or Lange. But perhaps the dim light and recent Lange-excess skewed my perspective! Either way, it's a peach. The tourby..yeah, probably too big. But I just loved how the movement was built for the case shape. Integrated design philosophy...I like.

Frily: Hello Kitty needs a bigger bucket! But Nauti looks just perfect. :)

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone would give their opinion of this watch by Ebel. There were only 1911 of them made and I believe it was priced at ~$2K when it released in 2011 and is now available at Jomashop for half of that. My other choice would have been the Hamilton Intra-matic for about the price-of-a-pair-of-Allen-Edmonds less. I realize that the $ amounts are modest by the accounts of some in this thread, but this would be the 'introductory' watch of a working man.

http://www.jomashop.com/ebel-watch-9120r41-6430136.html

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hey Bill,

Personally I always hate to see that odd date hanging there at three o'clock, especially on such a simple dial. There are a million watches with the same layout, so perhaps it's just me.

That's kind of the issue I have with this, though: there are an awful lot of watches that look an awful lot like this. My choice would be to find something in that price range with a bit more character - Stowa would be my $1k choice - or look to the used market for something equally simple, but from a more distinctive and iconic brand. The thing is, as you mentioned, that so many perfectly decent watches are around that are just like that one, from Hamilton, Tissot and a dozen others.

On the plus side, I like the hands, and that the second hand is blued. I like the slender stick markers, very understated and classy. It's on a nice dressy strap and the dial is very clean, date notwithstanding, which makes it rather smart. I like it. I just wonder if, even for a grand, it's long-term lovable. I think I'd go up a pair of AEs and get a no-date Nomos Orion. But it's not my watch. :)

Last edited:

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
mimo, sir...

Thank You again, really, and I very much do like the look of that Orion. Like yourself I do prefer that the date not be at the 3 (I don't mind it at the 6 so much but what do I know, I actively admit to thinking that Navy trousers can look good).

And of course there are so many options in or around that range. My hesitation with 'Iconic' is that the Camry is iconic? Actually I drive a 'vintage' Corolla so I aspire to the Camry, though I'm moving to downtown Toronto where a lot of people don't have anything for a car, so screw it, I'll buy a watch...and, eventually, a radiator (priorities).

While my avatar is probably still associated with snark inducing jeans and clearance sale shoes I promise you I'm doing the reading... the homework. Oh Yes. Part of the attraction of that Ebel, apart form the pluses you mention, is that in all of the obsessive reading I've been doing lately I only found that Ebel by tripping over it where as Nomos, Stowa, Sinn, Frederique Constant, etc. seem... popular. I mention that there were only 1911 made (the watch is commemorative) with purpose. I like the idea that I'll never run in to someone with the same watch, and if I did, we'd probably end up bonding over our uncommon watches before becoming Facebook buddies.

I won't end up with the Ebel I posted, I'm sure. It's too quick, too easy. There's no 'hunt' that goes along with that check-out-now button.

So, where does one find the Used Market? I know that I can find used watches on the net but I wonder if WUS or someone has a B&S thread that is known here?

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I'm not enough of a watch fan to know anything beyond eBay and Chrono24. And actually, I disagree that there's anything wrong with "easy"! Taking your time is, I suppose, normally a wise move with a big purchase, but taking ages to find something doesn't necessarily make it better. Perhaps you'll value it more,but it won't otherwise be more valuable just because you waited months for one to pop up on a watch forum.

It's a fair point about "iconic". It can just mean "common as hell" I suppose, but what I really mean by it is two things: distinctive and enduring. A Rolex Submariner has looked the same for fifty-odd years, more or less. It's probably the most imitated watch design around, or one of them, and it's still fantastic. It's not rare, not even individual, but I think it's still gorgeous. AP Royal Oak. Even an Omega Seamaster (used, in your price range incidentally), is much-copied, distinctive, and I think pretty. A Camry is a great car, even if it's not a striking design. Inherently good, very successful, but not yet iconic because it's not yet romanticised, perhaps. A VW Beetle or Camper is iconic. A Mustang is iconic - even if it's a new one. Not rare, no longer original, anachronistic in concept, and now one of many. But if you like them, it's never wrong.

I wouldn't read too much additional value into limited editions, though: every maker seems to have new one every year, so although "THE limited" edition might be uncommon, "A limited" edition is not a rare or special thing in itself. Because almost everything is limited one way or another.

If you love something and the price seems OK, do it. Even if it's from Jomashop. So what?

P.S, We're probably a similar age and I'm a bigger bum than you are. I certainly don't have any expensive watches.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a similar design I think I would prefer the Tissot Visodate for about half the price of the Ebel:

Tissot-Visodate-Poster-maxdart.net_.jpg

Lucan

Reaction score
I got the Visodate for my birthday earlier this year and love it. The strap was a bit poor that came with it (bit thin and shiny) so I'd recommend getting a new strap for it - which is no great sweat bearing in mind the price. The silver/white suits brown or black straps so you could get both and have a really versatile watch.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

For a similar design I think I would prefer the Tissot Visodate for about half the price of the Ebel:

Tissot-Visodate-Poster-maxdart.net_.jpg

That is a stunner for sure. I wish it was a manual wind so the case would be a bit thinner.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bill, i like a date at 3. more so than at 6 usually.

i think that ebel is ok, and that picture i am sure is not doing the watch service, its a very flat looking pic. i do think though that the tissot kaplan posted is a much more interesting and prettier model. prettier case, luge, dial, hands and markers.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a fair point about "iconic". It can just mean "common as hell" I suppose, but what I really mean by it is two things: distinctive and enduring. A Rolex Submariner has looked the same for fifty-odd years, more or less. It's probably the most imitated watch design around, or one of them, and it's still fantastic. It's not rare, not even individual, but I think it's still gorgeous. AP Royal Oak. Even an Omega Seamaster (used, in your price range incidentally), is much-copied, distinctive, and I think pretty. A Camry is a great car, even if it's not a striking design. Inherently good, very successful, but not yet iconic because it's not yet romanticised, perhaps. A VW Beetle or Camper is iconic. A Mustang is iconic - even if it's a new one. Not rare, no longer original, anachronistic in concept, and now one of many. But if you like them, it's never wrong.

I wouldn't read too much additional value into limited editions, though: every maker seems to have new one every year, so although "THE limited" edition might be uncommon, "A limited" edition is not a rare or special thing in itself. Because almost everything is limited one way or another.
+1

Well said Mimo. In my mind iconic items don't have to be rare, but they are often ground breaking in design, durable, and something that stands the test of time. In addition, its often the first model/item one thinks of when you mention a brand name. As you pointed out if there are several items that aren't rare but they are iconic. If you asked average people what model first comes to mind when you say VW, I'm sure lots of people would say the Beetle, ask about Porsche many people will say 911.

Limited edition's are the most over used marketing tool, and rarely have much meaning in the grand scheme of watch collecting. It can be nice in the sense of not seeing it on everyone else's wrist, however often times a limited edition just means a different style of dial and hands. Then once a company finishes making one version, then just change the dial color and make the next "Limited edition" and that happens over and over again. If someone really loves the watch they should get it, but the entire limited edition thing is often over done and meaningless.

mimo, sir...

Thank You again, really, and I very much do like the look of that Orion. Like yourself I do prefer that the date not be at the 3 (I don't mind it at the 6 so much but what do I know, I actively admit to thinking that Navy trousers can look good).

And of course there are so many options in or around that range. My hesitation with 'Iconic' is that the Camry is iconic? Actually I drive a 'vintage' Corolla so I aspire to the Camry, though I'm moving to downtown Toronto where a lot of people don't have anything for a car, so screw it, I'll buy a watch...and, eventually, a radiator (priorities).

While my avatar is probably still associated with snark inducing jeans and clearance sale shoes I promise you I'm doing the reading... the homework. Oh Yes. Part of the attraction of that Ebel, apart form the pluses you mention, is that in all of the obsessive reading I've been doing lately I only found that Ebel by tripping over it where as Nomos, Stowa, Sinn, Frederique Constant, etc. seem... popular. I mention that there were only 1911 made (the watch is commemorative) with purpose. I like the idea that I'll never run in to someone with the same watch, and if I did, we'd probably end up bonding over our uncommon watches before becoming Facebook buddies.

I won't end up with the Ebel I posted, I'm sure. It's too quick, too easy. There's no 'hunt' that goes along with that check-out-now button.

So, where does one find the Used Market? I know that I can find used watches on the net but I wonder if WUS or someone has a B&S thread that is known here?
If you like the Ebel, its a nice watch. As mentioned above I agree with Mimo, don't get sucked into the limited edition thing. If you love a watch buy it, but often times the fact that a watch is a "Limited edition" has very little meaning.

Also, I don't think the Camry is iconic. They are durable cars. However, its not an enduring design that has evolved the way a VW Beetle or Porsche 911 have. Those are cars with designs that evolved with time, and the changing market place, yet still maintain much of their original DNA (at least through the years they were air cooled cars). The Camry is basically maintaining a name and attaching it to a different car every time the company releases a completely different midsize/full size car.

Good luck with whatever you decide and have fun!

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I like the Ebel more than the Visodate from those pictures, even though I always cite Tissot as a model of good value (and bought one not so long ago). The Ebel's hands are prettier - the blued second hand is something I like too. And the dial is cleaner with no text under the logo and those subtle markers. I'm still after the Orion, though!

But, Bill, there's plenty good about navy trousers. If you happen to have a grey jacket and some brown monkstraps. Just a thought. :)

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Finally posting a pic of my Speedy with my new strap and deployant all assembled!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Nice work, Tif, I'm going to cite this to my beloved as the kind of thing I'd like if she gets a bonus(!) Perfectly expressed here I think!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I am loving this strap. I'm not a huge fan of the Speedmaster bracelet in the first place, but I don't think this strap is ever coming off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads