1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

If the choice were between those 2, it would be the DJ. As others have suggested, maybe you should look at a Milgauss or a 39mm Explorer.

I am not a fan of the current IWC products, which is a shame because I like several of their older pieces. Sadly, today most of their watches do nothing for me and I find their "Limited Editions" a really tiresome marketing exercise (so in general, I'd rather have a regular edition). They have so many limited editions, that I find nothing special about them at all....lets see off the top of my head they have or have had the Top Gun Miramar Edition, various St. Exupery edition watches, Cousteau editions, Boris Becker Editions, Prada Editions, AMG Editions, Darwin Editions, Galapagos Edition, and the Tribeca Film Festival Editions. While I think its great if a watch company supports various causes (by donating to them and sponsoring events), making numerous so called "Limited Editions" every 6 months or so, waters down the significance of a watch being a limited edition. I can hardly wait to see some of their next limited editions, .... next year there could be a 35th Anniversary Big League Chew Bubble Gum Edition, complete with a pink rubber strap (maybe they can make it smell like bubble gum), special presentation container consisting of a Big League Chew pouch and instead of a pillow or other item to hold the watch in place it could be wrapped in strips of Big League Chewing gum. Or perhaps with the 40th Anniversary of the film "Smokey and the Bandit" coming up in a few years they could have a "Burt Reynolds Smokey and the Bandit Edition" watch with a "Screaming Chicken" engraved on the case back.

I'm not completely against limited editions, but I think some companies over do it and its tiresome.
    I think its a fun watch. Perhaps I'd look into the availability and cost of an original, before deciding to go with this one, however, it seems like a good watch for a very reasonable sum. I know there are many things from the 70's that are best forgotten...but I do think some of the 70's watch designs are very cool. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

2 people like this.
  2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Given the choice between those two, I'd stick with your Speedmaster, as it's a better-looking and cooler watch. The other two are a bit try-hard for my liking.

2 people like this.
  3. forex

forex Senior member

I think it is a pretty cool watch, I actually ordered one couple of days ago. I like Speedmasters a lot and this one was interesting enough for me, I did go with the orange racing dial. Did you actually handle it at the store? Also, $4K is a good price if it is new, retail is $6250 on these.

4. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

You know what I haven't had in a while? Big League Chew . . .

5. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Yea, I tried it on in the boutique and really liked the way it looked and felt on my wrist. And yea, that price is for brand new from an AD, I have a good relationship with.

Dino, you are totally right re: the vintage route - unfortunately, I just don't think I am a vintage guy. Too neurotic (and uneducated) to truly be confident about provenance, originality, etc. I am drawn to the vintage designs, however, which is why I like these faithful, yet modernized, tributes.

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Back to the grind. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

speaking of which...
    Is the RO still hitting you, or has that subsided?

8. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I think I'm going to take a step back and re-evaluate all the other options out there as well. There are a number of watches that are catching my eye, so I'm going to take my time. :)

10. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Nice.

11. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Of those two, I'd choose this

[​IMG]
    Inge 3227

or this

[​IMG]
    Series 1600, I believe

;-)

Like Dino, I don't think IWC make anything now that they didn't do better at an earlier time, and (unlike most, I think) I feel the same way about Rolex. If it has to be a current production model, I think I would look at the Explorer, but even here I'd rather go for the older 36mm model. Your Speedy on the other hand, is one of few current models I've seriously considered.

3 people like this.
  12. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

1 person likes this.
  13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Ah yes, the 3227-01 has been on my radar for a number of years. If I could find a minty fresh one I would seriously consider it.

I cannot do 36mm watches, at least not Rolexes. They look really small on my wrist.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  14. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I ran my Zenith through Crown and Caliber's new app featured on the 'dink last week.
    (Valuation, Selling, or Consignment service)
    I think it may be fine for more common watches, but watches like the one I submitted, they seem weak on valuation.
    The concept is sound, though.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  15. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I was hoping you'd said you didn't like the Inge, so I could post this. Oh, well - shame to waste it.

[​IMG]

Would probably fill the role of a OneWatch better than a vintage Rollie, though it might be too sporty to sit beside the Speedy (for some, I just have two sports watches now and no need for something dressier).

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I have no need for a true dress watch. No way on disliking the Inge... it is fantastic.

2 people like this.
  17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I can totally understand that. When you get something that is brand new with boxes/ papers etc from an AD, its easier and cuts out any potential drama or unpleasant surprises. Wishing you luck with it.

18. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

3227 is a great watch, especially considering the Genta heritage.

I'd be proud to own one of those, and you could say it's on my short list for "one of these days...." (Right time/right price).

Re: the Speedy Mark II update, I'm also a fan, although I think I personally favor the non-orange version.

I finally was able to see one in the flesh a couple weeks ago, and it is a nice, modernized piece.

You either love that case shape, or you hate it.

Certainly the Co-Ax movement alone would justify the additional $$$, but I have also found myself looking at vintage listings on evilBay.

19. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

True but where's the fun in that.:p

20. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Like a ton of bricks. But I have been unable to put together the requisite cheddar, by legal means or other.

Disliking is not the same as losing the burning desire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.