1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

Yes, exactly. We have an 11 month old and she is very careful about jewelry and anything dangling but she will wear a watch to work to accessorize when appropriate. Or something like that.

Thanks on the Cartier recommendation, will check that out.

2. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Sure, but not much to look at. Unfortunately, they chose an automatic movement for this chrono, and it has a rather basic finish (for a JLC). So they went with solid caseback ...

[​IMG]

3. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Nah; I like the steel bezel. It's when you add the shiny links, lugs and subdial accents that the reflective surface area starts getting noticeable. It works, although my preference in an everyday watch is for understatement. It's really not that bad; the classic size and shape keeps it from being too obnoxious, especially when it slips under long sleeves so easily. I tend to not to think about it once it’s on the wrist — it goes with everything.

Although an aftermarket bezel changes the look, as a chronograph on a steel bracelet, I see it as an inherently casual watch in the first place. If the steel bezel’s not your thing or you just want to keep it from getting dinged, it’s possible to swap it without too much hassle. I’m not into modified watches, but I've seen black acrylic bezels for Daytonæ and it can work, depending on the watch.

I think it looks goofy on a stainless 4130-movement model:

[​IMG]
    photo: dhh on trf

However, it’s definitely a viable alternative for 18K, which shows marks more easily due to its softness:

[​IMG]
    photo: matdaytona on tz-uk

And it looks pretty good on the steel Zenith ones:

[​IMG]
    photo: concepta on trf

The polished links are fine on either the 4030- or 4130-movement Daytona, but I also like the look of the first few years of 16520 production with the all-brushed 78360 bracelet. The porcelain-dial version is really something special:

[​IMG]
    photo: hennabav.blogspot.com

I’m happy with my 116520 just as it is, though.

My pleasure; glad you found it to be of use. I don’t think either requires special treatment, and they should be about equally robust for regular use. The Daytona will show scuffs more easily, but it sits closer to the wrist and should be a bit less likely to get knocked around in the first place. The clasp is going to be the part that generally shows the most wear on any watch, not that it’s a big deal. As far as the current Submariner goes, I've had it on the wrist enough to know that it's not quite for me, whereas the Sea-Dweller suits me just fine.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts after checking them out! Make sure to try out that Explorer of his, too. I certainly wouldn’t mind having a simple 36 mm model in all-brushed steel. As I’m covered for black dials, the 17000 Oysterquartz, the 16200 Datejust or the 116000 Oyster Perpetual would be ideal as a normal, chilled-out watch. They’re often overlooked in favour of the sports models, but they’re equally suited to anything that you can do with a Submariner, save for actual commercial diving. Even then, it would be fine well past its extremely-conservative depth rating.

3 people like this.
  4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Even if seeing a quarts kills you a little, do yourself a favor and buy her what she wants. First she will have a much greater selection of watches if you go quartz for her, second ladies watches really aren't as collectible as men's watches so on some level its not as relevant quartz vs. mechanical, and third but most importantly - its what she wants.

There are lots of great options be it from Cartier, Chopard, or countless other brands.

Funny thing is my wife has heard so much about automatics and manuals vs. quartz watches, that she has become a quartz snob and won't wear one even though one of my own watches is a quartz from Rolex, the ref. 17000 Oysterquartz. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Here is a quick shot of a very respectable, but out of production quartz.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Why not just get a winder?

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

While that is a valid argument, I assume she may not use it. My wife does not complain about her mechanical dying but if she did and I bought a winder, the watch would sit NEXT to the winder...not in it.

The Chopard Happy Sport watches are nice. My mother-in-law has one of the square ones and I have never noticed it being quartz.

7. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

ahem..pretty obvious solution here. Buy Dino's quartz.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  8. TC (Houston)

LOL so funny. It's part of my daily routine . . . every evening when I'm changing into my sleeping clothes I pick up the watch my wife wore that day from her dressing counter and put it on the winder so it will be running next time she decides to wear it.

Last week I was SHOCKED when I noticed that the Panerai she was wearing was actually displaying the correct time (which means she not only wound it herself but bothered to actually set it). I wonder whom she was trying to impress . . . LOL

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Many years ago I got my wife a nice Orbita winder. She has never used it.

She will set the time but setting the date seems to be a bridge too far.

Taken on the morning of the 12th.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. TC (Houston)

11. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Hey guys, need some advice.

When we were in Paris last year I bought my wife a Cartier at "the" Cartier store. About 6 months ago she noticed it was running slow - this is a quartz watch, mind you. We took it to our closest Cartier store and they sent it in to have the battery changed. It seemed to fix the issue for a while, but about a month ago it started doing the same thing. At this point we kind of think that Cartier needs to make this right - this was a brand new watch from their premier store in Paris, but all of that aside it's a brand new Cartier and it runs like crap (and it's a quartz so it's supposed to be very accurate). What would you do? I am worried they will just want to change the battery again, but to me it seems like something is wrong with the watch... would love to hear your thoughts.

12. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

^^contact them. I'm pretty certain they will make it right. bought new from a boutique a year ago? Still under warranty id assume too.

1 person likes this.
  13. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

thats awesome. I sold my wife's panerai a couple years ago..... she STILL hasn't asked where it is. True fucking story. I bought it for her before we got married, and when we moved in together I found it shoved in a box that was stored in her attic. :facepalm:

2 people like this.
  14. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

The crown on my 18ct GRAFF/Chopard watch has fallen off!!

I think the watch is about 50 years old so not really surprising as it depicts the Sultan of Brunei and wife no.1 when they were very young, but I hadn't planned on this expense...I'm being charged £90 just for a gold crown!

But it doesn't go without it, so I agreed to the repair:-(

15. Flake

Flake Senior member

I really enjoy it when my wife asks me to change out the strap on her Panerai or to set the time/date on whatever watch she wants to wear. I keep her complete calendar and her moonphase on winders but even then they will need the date adjusted.

The solution to that of course would be to convince her she needs a PP3940 (with an additional strap in my size, naturally...)

1 person likes this.
  16. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Buddy was asking about yellowing of tritium on dials so I took some quick pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

"Give the lady what she wants!"~Marshall Field

1 person likes this.
  18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]Hahaha...thanks for the laugh!
    Bring it back to Cartier, they will make it right. Several years ago a friend of mine got a 38mm automatic Cartier Pasha GMT/2nd time zone watch as a graduation gift. I can't remember exactly what his issue was with it. He brought it in they serviced it under warranty. He continued to have a problem with it, and it was either on the 2nd or 3rd time he brought it back under warranty, that it was sent to the Flagship store in NYC, and they installed a new movement. I wish I could remember what the hell the problem was, because recall him saying later on that he later realized he had been doing something to the watch that screwed it up, and that there was probably nothing wrong with the original movement, but he got a new movement anyway.

Now that's funny!

These things happen and sometimes you just have the bite the bullet and move on. Unfortunately, when a part gets lost on a gold watch, its far more expensive than on a steel one. However, once its fixed and you've been wearing it and enjoying it, the cost will be a distant memory.

19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Hey Dino, from a while back, I did not realize that the previous iteration of Daytona (the Zenith Daytona) did not have a brushed bracelet. I was confusing the PCLs with the polished lugs.

With that said, I love all forms of the Daytona. One of the greatest sport chronographs. When I put the black dialed version on my wrist, I certainly felt the draw. I can't help but feel it is a bit duplicative in my small collection though, with my Speedmaster and all. Not to say that they are even remotely similar. But at least in my small collection, two black dialed sports chronos may be a bit too much. Nonetheless, I would love to add a Daytona to the stable one day.

20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.