1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

I'm with Dino and JB as well.

I was close picking up SD4000 after I sold my SubC Date but decided on a 116520 Daytona for many reasons. The way it looked on my wrist, 4130 movement, it's racing heritage, almost cult like following :happy::nest:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Its annoying when sellers cancel your transaction in order to accept a higher bid from someone else, but I cant really blame them for doing so. Ultimately, money is the name of the game here and these are all luxury/discretionary purchases; they arent gouging air conditioners in July or something. I have had it happen to me and I have done it once or twice (I am paying off student loans and when it comes down to it, I will do what I have to to get them paid off. Its nothing personal).

If you spent some time in a dealership talking down the price of the car, and then went home to sleep on the decision and someone else came in and offered them their asking price, do you think they would hold it for you? Ebay can say whatever it wants about what constitutes a "transaction", but until money changes hands, nothing is bought or sold. If it really ticks you off that much, you can deny the request to cancel a transaction and it puts a strike against the seller.

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

No, it's total bullshit if a seller ACCEPTS your offer, tendered in good faith, then reneges on that contract to get more money from someone else. There's a 900 page thread somewhere around here regarding a pink tie that sums up the feeling of what I think is the majority.

If the offer is not accepted or an agreement to sell not reached (like sleeping on a dealer's offer to sell you a car without accepting it) then it's no harm no foul.

When I used to sell on here I probably could have cleared a couple of grand more by breaking contract to accept a higher offer and I don't think anyone would ever know, short of an admin reading my PM's. But that is never cool and these kinds of sellers should be shamed

3 people like this.
  4. bings

bings Senior member

this is the best thing that happened to me all day

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Congrats! Looks very nice.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Frills, now that was a watchgasmic collection. The lunch pic, not the scantily clad femme.

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

For me it's real simple. The SS Daytona was my first grail. This is the first watch that I coveted and I couldn't just buy it. It didn't take too long however and I eventually got it. I also bought an SD, but not the SD4000 but an SD. It's a beast and it's not the Deep Sea, but it's still a real divers diver. The problem for me however is it's also got a hump on the back of the watch. It's certainly not as comfortable as the Daytona, because it's heavier and its got a hump on the back of the case. I found it uncomfortable after a few hours and I eventually traded it for something else. I still have the SS Daytona, and I no longer have any desire to own a SD. The Double Red would be really cool, but then again that would also have a hump on the back of the case. The 1680 Red is a different story however, it doesn't have a hump on the back of the case.

Oh, did I mention the SD has a hump on the back of the case? LOL

2 people like this.
  8. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

9. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Note to self: never do business with DerangedGoose.

3 people like this.
  10. DerangedGoose

It is what it is. Ive never ripped off or defrauded anyone, and I wouldnt deal with the hassle over a difference of a couple bucks, but if the difference is significant, I would be upfront, apologize, and address the more pressing needs in my life.

11. in stitches

It is very simple in my opinion. If someone makes an offer, and you explicitly accept it, you are a total ass if you go ahead and take a higher offer from someone else after the fact. If you can't keep your word, you suck.

If the offer was a maybe, and you told the person you would give them x amount time. Keep your word.

If you want to allow for higher offers, you have to make sure you potential buyer knows that until payment is issued, there are no guarantees. At that point, its the buyers fault if he delays.

Why is simple decency and honesty so hard for some people?

4 people like this.
  12. DerangedGoose

That is the idea; that until money changes hands, the item is up for sale. Ive never refunded someone through paypal because another offer came through during the transaction process. The second I receive payment, I take listings down. But once or twice a bigger offer came right after confirming a smaller one, and the other party was understanding and said they didnt want to match it.

I dont think I am a piece of shit, but I suppose thats what most supposed pieces of shit would say about themselves. When it happens to me, I dont really think twice about it, but I can see how in the world of high value/unique/exclusive items, when the desire for acquisition extends way beyond simply getting a cool thing at a good price, feelings would flare much more. Thats not a realm I have experience in.

Its not my intention to create ill will or pull the rug out from anyone. To me, its the real world equivalent of having someone come up to a bargaining session at a flea market and offer a greater price for the item in question. The first customer might find the situation awkward, but its still the sellers item and they is free to engage all offers until money changes hands. People do this when they are selling their house and cars fairly often.

13. in stitches

If you confirm an offer, the right thing to do is, to not take other offers unless you make it clear in your offer acceptance that until payment is made, the acceptance is not complete. If you made that clear, its still fair game.

But if you tell someone that you accept an offer, and thats all you say, that implies the deal is done. At that point, if you get a better offer, you just have to suck it up. Or be dishonest. Reputations are built and crumbled in things like this.

6 people like this.
  14. DerangedGoose

I look at it the same way Ebay sellers do when they require instant payment for a "buy it now" option -- you cant just "buy" it to hold it for yourself. My paypal address is provided; if people lag days on payment and a better offer comes in, I let them know and ask them to match it. Perhaps I should be more explicit when I say payment is expected immediately, but I dont think its indicative of a dishonest nature.

15. in stitches

Well, eBay is its own animal, but if you list a BIN and someone does the BIN, thats that. They may pay in 5 min or 2 days, but unless the listing states that payment is required immediately or the BIN is not valid, you have to suck it up, and Im not even sure eBay allows that.

We could go through every situation but I think we all know in our hearts when we are being honest and when are being plain greedy.

As the saying goes, pigs get slaughtered.

Also, clear communication of intent is key. If you have that, and you keep to what you outline, you will generally find yourself in the right.

1 person likes this.
  16. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

We blacklist people who accept job offers and don't show up for whatever reason (including taking a new offer/counter offer).

I tend to agree with stitches here. Other forums have rules where first person to publicly post "I'll take it" is obligated to buy and the seller is obligated to sell. Shrug.

2 people like this.
  17. kaizo

kaizo Senior member

18. no frills

no frills Senior member

It was a fun lunch gathering!

19. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I think if you take a better offer after closing then you need to accept the fact that you've created ill will as a seller. A close is a close.

My own practice has been to require immediate payment on BIN, and payment within 5 bizdays on winning auction bids. If on a forum buy someone asks for time to make a transfer, I'll honor it so long as the time is reasonable. If those conditions aren't met then I feel free to reoffer, either to the next highest bidder, or to a late offer, or I relist.

1 person likes this.
  20. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Just weighing in on the recent discussion. I guess I echo what Stitchy said. The offeror is the master of his offer. In other words, the offeror may specify in detail as to what behavior he requires from the offeree to accept his offer.

If the offeror states, I will sell x to you for $100, and the offeree accepts that offer, the deal has concluded. If the offeror states that the deal is revocable, or if he states that the acceptance must be received in writing, or that acceptance is contingent upon payment, ALL OF THESE are modifications to the basic principle. DG--no offense, but if you offer something to someone for $1,000, and that person accepts, the deal is complete. If someone comes in ten minutes later, and offers $1,200, you cannot backtrack. Offer + acceptance = complete. Money does not have to change hands.

Now, a minor exception. If the offeror owns a Paul Newman Daytona, and offers it for $500 (clearly unaware of the price), I give that person a pass. That person is ignorant of the value, and I really do not think it is overly fair to take advantage of that person.

Although I have to say, DG, I do respect your candor.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.