• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I think there are many ways in which one can take this journey. Yes it would be best not to waste too much money, but it's even more important to have a good time and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually I think there are many ways in which one can take this journey. Yes it would be best not to waste too much money, but it's even more important to have a good time and enjoy yourself.

This is definitely excellent advice! This is such an interesting hobby, with really no correct direction. The only important direction is the one that you take.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if the BLNR were not purchased for me as a gift, I think it would be on my radar as something I would want to own. It is a very attractive watch and lets be honest....I only got it because John Mayer mentioned it was an awesome watch on Hodinkee
wink.gif
. My fiancee has said if I take the watch off she gets to wear it. She also has a soft spot for the Cartier Tank after seeing another woman wear one while out shopping.

But the watch that got me interested in finer time pieces was a IWC Big Pilot 5002. It is just so simple and while usually I do not enjoy power reserves, the BP pulls it off nicely. The sad news is that after trying one on, my wrists get dwarfed by its presence.

Geruvah

Reaction score

SevenFriday

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Truly a special moment!

So glad you shared this with us, Nuke!!!

MAZAL TOV!!! great news, newC!!

Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you. I'm sure you are thrilled and your parents must be very proud. Well done my friend!

Nuke, that's brilliant news.  Hearty congratulations, TWAT-bro.  This is a thread of superior intellect as well as manners, nobody doubted you I'm sure. :)

By the way, thank you all for your kind words. I was out of town at a wedding this weekend, so I was unable to properly reply! Cheers, amigos.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I saw this watch yesterday, and I thought I would post it here. What do y'all feel about it? Personally, although I cannot stand the "since 1738" branding (Citizen purchased A&S ~2 years ago), I really like the direction that A&S is going. I think that the finishing could be improved upon significantly--particularly the anglage, which looks machine applied--but the movements they are coming out with are really quite impressive.

On a similar tangent, I find it astounding how fast they are coming up with new movements. Within the last year, they have come up with the Ultra Thin Tourbillon above, the Time Period:

The Metiers de Art watch:

The HM Perpetual Moon:

And the Sidereal Time watch:

Citizen is pumping a whole lot of money into A&S, for them to develop five new movements within the last year. Or at least to have released these five movements. Not sure what my thoughts are on it yet, but it is interesting.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys. Question for ya'll. In the past I would list steel Submariners on eBay for 4995 and they would sell within minutes. Literally. As of late though, they have not been selling at that price, and even at 4795 I am getting no bids. Pristine condition, late model, full box and papers.

We spoke to a watch guy in Florida that we do a lot of business with about it, and he said that he had noticed the same. He said he believes that with the uptick in interest, particularly in Asia, in PP and ALS and what not, that a lot of the people who used to buy Rolexes now view them as peasant watches, and it has depressed the market.

Anyone here have similar experiences? Any thoughts on the matter?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I have read something to that effect on TRF. Those guys have noticed that the used Rolex market has dropped substantially over the past few months. Of course, this is 100% anecdotal, but following some of the posts on that forum since around June or July, I have noticed a thread every week or so that has noted this shift. I do not know if I would chalk it up to any particular reason, I think it is more likely a combination of many factors:

• "Asian" markets drying up (probably the #1 reason--and drying up is of course relative);
  • Summer / fall doldrums, I feel like things are always slower before Christmas;
  • Supply / demand--when you are pumping out close to a million watches a year, supply will inevitably catch up with demand (really have no empirical evidence on this);

And just generally, and this is just my own personal theory, I feel like the "watch renaissance" has really reached a new peak. Just a general observation, it will only be a matter of time before watches become more less trendy. Further, with the information available on the interwebz, I really do think that many buyers are not just walking into their local jewelry store and picking up the first thing that catches their eye.

Once again, this is all just guesswork.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yes: I need to make more money, then I will buy it and in doing so correct the buyer shortage by one unit. I also now know to offer $4500. Thank you.

Any suggestions for a rapid boost to my business/income over the next few weeks would be welcome, and now I see, mutually beneficial.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool thoughts, newC, thanks for the reply. I would 100% agree to the lull before the holidays having to do with it. I have always found that September/October and early November are slow selling months as people know they have a lot of shopping to do coming up.

As to your last paragraph, thats an interesting idea. I guess only time will tell.

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

You know, I have read something to that effect on TRF. Those guys have noticed that the used Rolex market has dropped substantially over the past few months. Of course, this is 100% anecdotal, but following some of the posts on that forum since around June or July, I have noticed a thread every week or so that has noted this shift. I do not know if I would chalk it up to any particular reason, I think it is more likely a combination of many factors:

• "Asian" markets drying up (probably the #1 reason--and drying up is of course relative);
  • Summer / fall doldrums, I feel like things are always slower before Christmas;
  • Supply / demand--when you are pumping out close to a million watches a year, supply will inevitably catch up with demand (really have no empirical evidence on this);

And just generally, and this is just my own personal theory, I feel like the "watch renaissance" has really reached a new peak. Just a general observation, it will only be a matter of time before watches become more less trendy. Further, with the information available on the interwebz, I really do think that many buyers are not just walking into their local jewelry store and picking up the first thing that catches their eye.

Once again, this is all just guesswork.

As an incredibly passive observer, I've noted a similar trend. I first started getting real interest in buying an Explorer I about 3 years ago, only to see prices steadily climb since then. About a year ago I made the decision to hold off on any watch purchase for a couple of years to see how things shake out. At least for me, I hope that these trends continue. However, if the Rolex downswing does continue, it makes for an easier decision in the Rolex vs. IWC tussle (which is my current internal debate).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads