• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
See, I have to say, I kind of disagree with the 'fix' becoming more and more difficult to maintain.

I'm not sure it's necessary to get ever more expensive watches to be stimulated, but it does seem to be necessary to get new ones, different ones, etc. Either way, the fix is required it seems. And I see where you're coming from (just looked up the "Bambino"): but mine is not an Orient. :)

Did not like the blue strap mod so much, though, to be honest.

Waiting to see what you throw on next.
I don't have anything orange, bar that. And the strap is kind of a greeny-blue for maximum contrast to the orange, but yeah I'm not totally sold. Put it back on the bracelet and wore it out and about with a polo this evening. Which I wasn't planning. But I didn't want to put it away just yet.

"Satan" toe

Incredible looking thing. A nice lady at the Corthay shop in Dubai told me that they'd dropped the name "Satan" after complaints, and were calling it "Casanova" (if I remember rightly) now. I don't know if that's generally or in certain markets. Either way it makes chisel toes look very tame.

Patek: lovely watch, and nice strap too.

MZ: congrats!

Last edited:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's necessary to get ever more expensive watches to be stimulated, but it does seem to be necessary to get new ones, different ones, etc. Either way, the fix is required it seems. And I see where you're coming from (just looked up the "Bambino"): but mine is not an Orient. :)
Yes and no. The high from getting a new watch is always awesome (I'm basking in that glow now so maybe I'm a hypocrite) but I think you get to a point where new watches aren't needed, you can just enjoy the collection. The only reason I got this was because I traded an RGM EOT that I couldn't fall in love with. Otherwise my collections pretty much set for the next few years... unless I see a Black Bay on sale
mwink[1].gif

Uh oh, maybe there is a "fix"

Congrats MZ - I used to own that very watch. I hope the OE strap came with it - it was an exceptionally nice tan croc.

Thanks, sadly the OEM strap wasn't included but I got 3 other straps with it. First time ever with a Longines, surprisingly nice finish IMO. It wears significantly larger than my other watches (36-38mm) so it will take some getting used to but I wanted a black faced chrono that would look good on a brown band for that casual shirt and jeans watch and I'm pretty sure I found it.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incredible looking thing. A nice lady at the Corthay shop in Dubai told me that they'd dropped the name "Satan" after complaints, and were calling it "Casanova" (if I remember rightly) now. I don't know if that's generally or in certain markets. Either way it makes chisel toes look very tame.

Yes. They renamed it "Casanova." Funny. Corthay also had a model they used to call "Belphegor," which the NYC shop described as a "Parisian take on the Scottish ghillie." Pic from Corthay's website here:

More pics here:

http://theclassicgentleman.net/tag/belphegor-corthay-style/

Except Belphegor is kind of a demon. One of the princes of Hell or something like that.

So now it is named "Fantomas."
fing02[1].gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks good, hammer.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking a supermodel out today...

still my favourite VC from the fleet...

58 years and still the thinnest movement ever made.

That's a beauty! I love vintage watch ads!
I've never owned anything but a PMW, so I guess I can't compare. When I first had my old Omega (true PMW by virtue of age and scruiffiness rather than brand I suppose) fixed up and posted (fatally!) here, it gave me great satisfaction too. Just that simple thing of making it work and finding a strap I liked - which, as of yesterday, now has a deployant clasp in the hope that I will stop dropping it on the floor and breaking the glass every few months. I still enjoy the way the whole thing looks. But what I suspect, as with any junk habit, is that the hit gets harder to maintain: I have seen all manner of wonders over the last few months and understood to some degree how they are what they are. It's hard to go back from that, just as I don't think I can ever buy a pair of glued-together shoes, even if I like the look of them. Once you know what's "better", you can't ever go back.
First Mimo, I've been away and didn't realize that you bought a Monster. Belated congrats! I am sure you will enjoy it. Its a very cool watch.

I think we learn more and expect more from certain brands. However, certain watches, shoes, cars are intended for different purposes. I see a need for good but not crazy expensive shoes for rain and snow. So I can appreciate and enjoy a good but reasonably priced pair of shoes for bad weather just as much as I need or can appreciate a beautiful pair of EGs etc.

When I bought my first VC I was enamored with it. To have such a beautifully crafted, finely finished, and rare piece (one of 600 in rg), it made a tremendous impression on me. It was certainly more finely finished than my Rolex watches. However, when I got a call that my 50th Anniversary Green Sub had arrived, I was very excited about it and I adore that watch too. Its a different design, purpose, and price point, yet it fits into my collection well, and it doesn't compete with my VCs. So I think its possible to choose pieces in different price and finish categories and still be excited about them and enjoy them.

Wore my old vintage JLC Master Mariner from circa 1958. This thing keep excellent time. Solid gold case, 883 movement, newer gator strap (not JLC). I had a hard time finding a solid gold JLC buckle that was the right size so I had to settle on a Blancpain one. Just realized that I forgot to set the date.

Very Nice!!!
There is no doubt that Corthay's patination is awesome.

See the sculpted toe?

Perhaps a better angle here:
Love the color and finish of those shoes! Wow! Not sure if the toe is normally my taste but it really works beautifully in that color.

New one came in! On the topic of whether you can go back down the scale this watch is, arguably, a step down from my Nomos, Cartier and Omega but it's no less exciting for me. I'm not in the same price point as you gents but I agree that there's a threshold that you reach where certain quality isn't acceptable but anything above that is enjoyable in its own way. This hits my threshold
bigstar[1].gif

Congrats on your latest addition!

More pics here:

http://theclassicgentleman.net/tag/belphegor-corthay-style/

Except Belphegor is kind of a demon. One of the princes of Hell or something like that.

So now it is named "Fantomas."
fing02%5B1%5D.gif
Pure AWESOMENESS! I guess I'm lucky there are no retail sellers of Corthay near me tonight ...it could be very dangerous for my wallet.
wink.gif

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Bill - welcome to TWAT. I myself came out of lurker status earlier this year, and benefited enormously from the many, many awesome perspectives (and pictures) that knowledgeable, thoughtful and opinionated members share.

Thank you sir. I look forward to eventually making one modest and financially responsible'ish contribution to the thread. In the meantime, yes, this thread has been a learning experience.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I bought my first VC I was enamored with it.  To have such a beautifully crafted, finely finished, and rare piece (one of 600 in rg), it made a tremendous impression on me.  It was certainly more finely finished than my Rolex watches.  However, when I got a call that my 50th Anniversary Green Sub had arrived, I was very excited about it and I adore that watch too.  Its a different design, purpose, and price point, yet it fits into my collection well, and it doesn't compete with my VCs.  So I think its possible to choose pieces in different price and finish categories and still be excited about them and enjoy them.  

Very Nice!!!

I was not going to post till tomorrow, but your mentioned "green sub" while complementing my vintage time piece. This baby was waiting for me when I arrived home today. I have never been a "Rolex person" but I fell in love with the green in the green sub. Found a NOS one that I unfortunately had to pay a premium for. The last of the 50th anniversary's (unless you are a purest and only consider the 2003 the true 50th).

Will post more pictures tomorrow but I have to say I LOVE the green!

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wearing these on a somewhat rainy day.

bu4eramy.jpg

Bill - welcome to TWAT. I myself came out of lurker status earlier this year, and benefited enormously from the many, many awesome perspectives (and pictures) that knowledgeable, thoughtful and opinionated members share.

This is making me rethink my current watch acquisition plans - I was still thinking FP Journe or Laurent Ferrier (I know, very different), but maybe better to stick with the classics...

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, somebody please get this. I'd go for it myself, but I'm a broke college student.

JLC Master Control Ultra-Thin, listed by someone with no idea what it is!!!! (How do you screw this one up?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190923082960?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

If only I had money... I would have gone for it in a heartbeat :(

I'm passing it on to you guys in the hopes that someone who will love it as much as I would can grab it. I figure it'll still get up to a couple thousand at the least, but you'll definitely end up saving big.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not that great a deal. No box or papers and pretty scratched up.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not going to post till tomorrow, but your mentioned "green sub" while complementing my vintage time piece. This baby was waiting for me when I arrived home today. I have never been a "Rolex person" but I fell in love with the green in the green sub. Found a NOS one that I unfortunately had to pay a premium for. The last of the 50th anniversary's (unless you are a purest and only consider the 2003 the true 50th).

Will post more pictures tomorrow but I have to say I LOVE the green!

Congrats! Its a beauty. It is definitely one of my favorite sports watches. I personally don't worry about whether it was made in 2003 or later. FWIW, mine is a 2005, that I got new from an AD at a good price, so if mine is actually a 52nd anniversary Sub it matters little to me. Great watch enjoy it and mine says hi !

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long does it take for the sharp edges to dull out? I find the case edges to be a little sharper and what I would like.

Love the green though. Mine is a 2007/2008. Couldn't really get in any newer condition though. Original owner never wore this thing. Still had the plastic protector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads