1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Congrats.

I would buy the bracelet version, then add a strap. I believe it is a $100 difference now, upfront. Omega bracelets are not cheap. I believe the one for the planet ocean is $1,100. I assume the Speedy is around the same. so it REALLY makes sense to purchase it now.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. Sander

Sander Senior member

The one on the speedy looks absolutely black on my monitor, thus absolutel fine. :D

The one on the GS proves my point well in my eyes; well, there is no real use arguing, is there?

3. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Yeah I really don't like the brown on the GS.

And I'm not a PAM fan so I don't care what gets put on them.

4. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Haha, It was quite dark. That is the only pic of it I have left. It was a really chocolatey brown. I thought it looked fan-friggin-tastic!

The GS, a friend let me test drive for a couple weeks. I wasn't 100% sold on the combo, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

5. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I do think that is the way to go on a Speedy for a strap, very dark/rich brown.

6. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

FTFY :D

2 people like this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

this. well, rich yet, but not too dark a brown for me.

---

fools be crackin on mimo? cruiz'n for a bruiz'n.

1 person likes this.
  8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

id agree aside for things like most rolexes, the RO and the nautilus, those few watches that truly look best on their respective metal bracelets.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think it really depends on the strap that is used. I'm not really a fan of light/medium brown straps with black dials. However I love the look of a watch with a black dial on a dark brown strap, as seen on Tifosi's Speedy, below.

Beautiful Combo! [​IMG]

A friend of mine had one of these Seamasters when they were new. Its a nice watch, but it was never really designed to be worn on a strap. Personally, I think the curvature of the bracelet links and the way it looks on the wrist is part of what sets this watch apart from other Omega dive watches (both before and after). Even if you could find a strap that would somehow fit it, to take it off of that bracelet I think you would lose a key element of its overall design.

JB, now you are just egging me on [​IMG] . What can I say, how could I be surprised? At the rate with which they release limited editions, I was more surprised they didn't release a 44th Anniversary Limited Edition. I was going to get a 45th Anniversary Speedy, but now I'm holding out for 45th and 3 month anniversary edition (I think eventually they will resort to celebrating monthly anniversaries like young couples that are dating). My favorite part of the 45th Anniversary limited edition is that hour markers are the only real contrast on the dial. The chrono markings and subdials are basically monochromatic, making it nearly impossible to read anything but the basic time. Looks like a brilliant idea from the marketing department! I can hear them now, "Hey guys, very few people really use the chrono function except for a few guys at SF, so let's lets make a pretty watch and and play a joke on them by selling a chronograph that is even more difficult to read any chronograph of the past. I can hardly wait for this group's next idea when they go to BMW and convinces them to paint the front windshields an opaque pastel blue, so that their drivers always think its a bright blue sunny day outside. If I were an astronaut and I were handed this watch, I'd think it was a late April Fool's Day joke. Cheers.

3 people like this.
  10. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Dino, did I ever say I agree with you and @Keith T ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great color combination!!! Well done!!! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Big +1 .... great contrast stitching on that strap, too...nice and tight.

1 person likes this.
  13. mimo

mimo Senior member

Like this? Delicious, I thought. Grey. And Schwarz, Rot, Gold. Appropriately timed.

[​IMG]

For shoes and belts and the like, I agree that black and brown are incompatible. But on watches, it's something of a classic. Perhaps it derives from the standard for military/pilot watches on which many modern casual and sporty numbers are based: black dials to not catch the light at a distance, plain leather for simple utilitarianism. Either way, I think for a pilot or chrono it's pretty fine. It's just the "utilitarian" part that's redundant: cows' gain is crocodiles' loss!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

What? [​IMG] I would thought that the Protuguese Chrono would be more loved by TWAT! I say the one with the blue markers, it's awesome! But I like the gold tone ones and definitely would change the strap for a mid/dark brown croc.

I hope one day I have these four and the two Omegas and some others. [​IMG] I promise when that happens I will send you a Stowa. [​IMG] Let's hope it doesn't take me too long. [​IMG]

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Hahaha!

Maybe by then we'll have matching Portugueses...my top pick is the same as yours.

1 person likes this.
  17. Sander

Sander Senior member

The Lange looks great, don't know why grey is not one of the three standard options besides black and brown. You cheated a bit with the AP; the rose gold serves as a buffer between the black and brown.

18. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

That's not a Lange. That is a Glashutte Original, but yes it has a similar design to the Lange 1.

1 person likes this.
  19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

20. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Speaking of GO, what is the "panorama date"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.