• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm interesting in buying a pre-owned sub, don't mind either no-date or date versions. This one caught my attention, but wondering if $5700 (less 10% tax) is a good deal for a circa 2002 model.

http://clockmaker.com.au/w/k3853.html

Ari, if you buy from an Australian site, you will always pay more - often considerably more - than buying from overseas.

The upside to buying in Australia is, of course, that if the seller is local, you can try it on and have a look at it to make sure you're getting what you want. The downside is that you'll pay a lot of "Australia tax".

Of course, if you order a watch costing more than $1000 from overseas, you'll most likely have to pay tax on it, particularly if it is sent via a courier service as the courier service will collect the tax/duties on behalf of Customs and they'll kindly charge you a fee for doing so, too!

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my Tudor from Nicholas Hacko recently, Ari and can therefore recommend buying from him wholeheartedly.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need to catch up on the last two pages. But, trying Tapatalk tonight as per stitchy's recommendation. Gave a talk at a public school this morning in nearby Brooklyn. But was I "Brooklyn-hip" enough? I don't know.

Anyway, mimo, here is one of those hats. Fedora by Borsalino, made of hemp. Lightweight, durable and as breathable as straw. Useful since summer made a return appearance today here in NYC.

ujuqavy3.jpg

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frills-
The 5035 has been calling my name for a while. Giving it some serious thought again. Curious as to your (and anyone else's) thoughts on that one.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest addition to the family; JLC Grande Reverso Duo, shown in verso:

And recto:

I suppose they are "cousins", as the movement in my AP was developed by JLC, and is currently in use by AP and in the VC Overseas dual-time...

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ nice! :nodding:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Frills-The 5035 has been calling my name for a while. Giving it some serious thought again. Curious as to your (and anyone else's) thoughts on that one.

Hi, Flake - the 5035 is great, Patek's first foray into the annual calendar space, and depending on the model you want I think it's a relatively great value for a "base complication." It can be had in the low $20s in the secondary market, which is the retail price of an entry level Calatrava currently in production (the 5119) with no complications.

I also like its classic "calendar" design with the subdials, versus the more modern 5205 with day and dates in apertures. The 5205 has its fans for sure, and its pierced lugs offers its own special appeal, but for $49,500 retail and in the high $30s or low $40s for a pre-owned piece I can get two 5035s for one 5205.

I have a former student (now a high flying lawyer) who is thinking of getting his first Patek and I am encouraging him to get the 5035 since he likes its aesthetics too. For its look, level of complication and secondary market price the only other consideration is maybe a platinum 5056 in the low $30s since those are even more rare and I love the slate grey dial. The legibility of a white dial 5035 in white gold is superior though.

My two cents!

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no frills: I absolutely love your Patek. I never really "understood" them until I saw one in the flesh. Stunning piece.

academe: Your AP is gorgeous! What is the ref # if you don't mind me asking?

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks bawlin. It's ref 26120ST.OO.1220ST.01 if I'm not mistaken. Still in the current catalog. As you can tell, I like dual-time watches!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
academe and zippyh - good lookin wrist wear.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is an accomplished jewelry and home decor designer from Paris. Last year he opend a retail store in the Rockridge area of Oakland called Le Kube + Studio. We stopped in today and he had these beautiful watch bands. These are just a few of the different colored suede, NATO, leather, exotics, etc. If you are ever in the area check him out.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I have a friend who is an accomplished jewelry and home decor designer from Paris. Last year he opend a retail store in the Rockridge area of Oakland called Le Kube + Studio. We stopped in today and he had these beautiful watch bands. These are just a few of the different colored suede, NATO, leather, exotics, etc. If you are ever in the area check him out.

The suede strap is rather cool...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads