1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Would you guys mind sharing some pics? [​IMG]

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

If you look a few pages back you will see there was a recent discussion about the Milgauss, and several people here seemed to like it a lot.

+1

Belli really raises the bar to new levels when it comes to analyzing the dials on watches!

One of the most important things about a watch is its dial, as we look at it several times a day. Yet its often one of the most overlooked aspects of a watch. Something as simple as going from Arabics to Romans or vice versa can have a dramatic affect on a watch. Years ago there were 2 similar Pateks the 5015 and the 5054 (its successor). Whether one likes the size, bezel, or officers case is a separate matter. To me the dial on the 5015 was far more elegant and whimsical using much more stylized numbers, while the Romans on the 5054 looked a bit stodgy and you lost all of the hour marker numbers on the bottom half of the dial.

I don't agree with everything Patek does with its designs or dials, but they generally get it right with many of their perpetual calendars and perpetual calendar chronos. I'm not sure I'd say Lange doesn't not create pieces that are as refined, unless maybe you are solely referencing their own perpetual calendars. As for the quality of their workmanship, its top notch, and some would say exceeding that of Patek. However, if its solely, about dial design, I agree that some of theirs are just off, at least in my eyes. I don't love their perpetual calendar watches, and many have heard me rant about not loving the original Datographs which had a dial containing Romans, Arabics, and sticks. Lange makes great watches, but some of their dials are hit or miss IMHO.

Does it have to be new or could it be pre-owned. I'd probably consider some of their perpetual calendars if going pre-owned. I've tried the 5170 on and overall its a very nice watch, but I can't say I walked away loving it. Not sure why.

To me the curvaceous applied Arabic numbers seemed a bit too dressy/fussy for a chronograph, and the case seemed a bit too dainty (especially compared to previous chronos Patek has produced). I may have preferred the case if it were used for a time only dress watch. However, overall its lovely watch, and if it makes you smile go for it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Yes, Thank You. I am sorry, I didn't read this thread for several days and just posted the question regarding Milgauss. Interesting time coincidence ..

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I want to be clear about something. When I disagreed with Belli about Arial, I was not trying to say that it was any kind of optimal choice, it is certainly "beneath" many of the specs of the watch in question. As well, I greatly appreciated and enjoyed what he had to say, and the excellent dial discussion it brought out.

All I was saying was, that for me, its not as grave an error as it is for him.

5. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

To me perpetual calendars and chronographs can never look refined as designs no matter who makes them, there is simply too much going on. That is why a Nomos or similar time only watch looks better as there is clarity, white space and clean lines.

I realise this may not be a common opinion but as an older person I can only admire the craftsmanship of such complicated watches as I can barely see what they are trying to show me.

2 people like this.
  6. Flake

Flake Senior member

Downside of Hesalite (@ 11 )
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Imyouricecreamman

Imyouricecreamman Senior member

I think the regular black dialled Milgauss along with the black dial ExpII are the most underrated watches from Rolex

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

do love, but im a sucker for the blue dial/green crystal combo.

1 person likes this.
  9. Imyouricecreamman

Imyouricecreamman Senior member

It's a spectacular looking watch, just a little "out there" for my taste :) Handled the black dial/green crystal in denmark last week and I have to say it had me seriously tempted, but I always go for the boring choice :D

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

nothing wrong the simple sweet awesomeness that is your milgauss!

11. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

You can't polish that out Flake?

12. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

I kind of agree, especially with that jumble of fonts. It gets even worse when they use numerals instead of indices

Its so unique! Its literally the first Rolex (other than the everose daytona) that Ive been visually struck by.

1 person likes this.
  13. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

This Pani is gorgeous!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. mimo

mimo Senior member

Betel, you're in real trouble lately, aren't you?

I recognise the symptoms...

2 people like this.
  16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Yes, I am. :(

(Hoping that recognizing it doesn't make me a watch-holic) :lol:

17. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

You kopping dear friend? :bounce2:

18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Nop, because well I'm not a baller… yet :) and I have to choose one… and then these are contenders…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:lol:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  19. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

@Betelgeuse

Doooooo it

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^^ I love ATs, Betel, but I prefer the previous version of that watch as I've spoken about earlier in this thread. Still a great watch, though.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.