1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Enabling pic:

[​IMG]

Get together last Friday, which my friends and I have now apparently "hashtagged" as #ManFridays on Instagram. All pics on my skinny wrist:

The Big Boys:

[​IMG]

The Nautilii:

[​IMG]

The classics:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi JB,

Its definitely true that polished surfaces show more scratches and scuffs than brushed links/surfaces. I think that the curved Rolex Oyster bracelet links when brushed and with fewer changing surface angles than a RO bracelet tend to hide scratches better. However, IMHO it truly depends significantly on the wearer, their habits, and activities. I work in an office and I've worn my RO for the majority of the nearly 2 years I've had it. I think its more angled links, with various beveled edges and polished areas would likely show similar scratches quite easily. However, because I usually have worn it with long sleeves it cushions it from rubbing against my desk or other surfaces. I probably wouldn't wear the RO for super rigorous activities, but then again I might take off my Ex2 for very rigorous activities also. I don't wear any of my watches if I'm on the garage floor doing something with my cars, but I've seen guys doing stuff on the ground while wearing Rolex watches and other things and I've heard the sound of steel against pavement. I put a few small scratches in the bracelet of my Ex2 clasp getting out of an in ground pool, so I've heard the sound of metal against cement [​IMG]! However, again I'm pretty careful about my surroundings, door frames, etc, and again at the office I am almost always wearing long sleeves. So I tend to take rather good care of my watches, cars, clothing etc., so I am not saying that this is average wear on either watch. They have both been daily wearers not vault queens, the Explorer II I've had for about 13 years, the RO just under 2 years. If you saw them in person, you would see a few more scratches on the Ex2, its older. I am a firm believer that if you have 2 people gave each the same steel Rolex and the same steel AP, the differences in condition of the watches is going to be based on the wearer rather than the brand.

Hope this helps. (Edit...I just took a photo so you can see the worst scratch on my RO, but photobucket is doing maintenance so I can't get to it. I'll try posting it later.

13 year old Ex2. Its back from service just last month, but it has NEVER been refinished.
    [​IMG]
    A nearly 2 year old RO 15202.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi JB,

Below is the worst scratch on my RO. I have maybe 2 other scratches on another part of the bracelet that are much smaller and far less noticeable. This one would easily buff out, but I don't like the idea of refinishing a watch unless its absolutely necessary.

Best regards,
    Dino

[​IMG]

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Dayum Dino you take care of watches really well.

I just don't know about that scratch on your RO bracelet though. Looks like value has gone to zero. You might as well ship it to me. Box and papers can follow later, thanks.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hey Frills,

It was quite devastating to notice that scratch on the small attachment link. If you caught me at the right time I might have sent it to you ;) Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  6. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

The 6139 was one of the first chronographs in space, perhaps even before the Speedmaster:

http://blog.dreamchrono.com/2013/11/seiko-6139-pogue/

The blue one is handsome as well:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I've considered getting a Pogue; it's a cool looking watch with a great history. But there's no sweep hand unless you use chronograph, right?

Anyone have a line on who else besides Tutima makes a center minute chrono with sweep seconds subdial and nothing else?

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I like the Pogue, interesting design and great history. I've only seen it with the gold dial. The blue dial version is a very interesting variation. How many 6319s do you own? Are there other color dials besides the gold and the blue?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  9. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

Easy summer days. Relaxing in my childhood garden, AP ROC on wrist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    2 people like this.
  10. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

^^^ outstanding. I want one of these so bad.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ditto. After reading this thread, I have realized that there is a whole other level of expensive hobbies. fml. Honestly, though, how do you guys manage to wear these beauties so casually. Maybe it marks me as a smalltimer, but I would be afraid of wearing them, and would only feel comfortable if they were encased in some 3d printed transparent armband, maybe...

1 person likes this.
  12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Just like anything else in life I think that time in a hobby changes outlook. You have the philosophy or wearing shoes and not babying them and I think you would find the same for watches. I don't own one on the level do an AP or Patek but do own a few higher end pieces. I wear them all the time. It is really the only piece of jewelry (besides a wedding ring) that you will ever see on me. I feel it is important to wear it frequently to somewhat justify the thin ROI I have in my head. If I rarely wore them then I couldn't justify the expense as it's hard to even now sometimes. I think once you got over the hump of the cost on your wrist you would be impressed with both the look and the quality of construction and manufacturing and find yourself wearing a piece quite frequently.

13. LA Guy

I'd like to think this. However, there seems to be one essential difference between the two hobbies, which is that watches can actually be considered investments, whereas a piece of clothing, not matter how well made or expensive, will likely never, ever, appreciate in value. It's like a car. The moment you drive it off the lot, it's 1/2 price (yes, I realize that there are exceptions there as well!) So, my philosophy of "wear the crap out of it, and let it show the age and wear", doesn't seem to hold for watches. Also, as you know, I like things like Boro, which were originally a method of salvaging old clothes. This mentality doesn't seem to exist with watch collectors. Or maybe it does, and I just haven't heard about it.

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I agree with this to a point. I see a watch as an investment only to the point if if I truly needed to sell due to unforeseen issues, wanting to trade up to something else, etc that I likely could. I don't treat it like an Apple stock on a 7-1 split that I have for purely financial reasons.
    Furthermore I don't think age adds to the appeal. If you have me the option of a brand new, never worn Rolex vs. a collectible and worn piece from the '70's I take the aged piece every day. In some ways wear on a watch preserves memories for me. I remember this little scratch from this trip, etc. if I were going into it for purely financial reasons I may feel differently but I more see it as a more fun place than a savings account to hold a few grand in case I ever need it

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i have no idea how old it is. :hide:

if it was really running poor;y id sent it in. as is, its just a minor annoyance and i wanted to whine about it to my bros. :)

my center links are also scratched a bit. say lah vee.

16. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Honestly I think outside Rolex and to some degree Pam and AP and what ever rappers are talking about currently, I doubt 99% of the worlds population will have any idea of what or how much that's sitting on your wrist.

I remember kristian Haagen was on tv awhile back talking about exspensive watches, where he mentioned a friend of his, who wears a $350k A. Lange everyday and he takes the bus and metro to walk everyday.

17. LA Guy

For me, the issue wouldn't be that I feel ostentatious, or that I'm afraid of being jacked. No, I'd be afraid of me scraping it against something by mistake. or absentmindedly tapping it on the car door, whatever. Maybe it's just a matter of psychological comfort. I wear all manner of expensive clothing into the field, and don't worry if my sneakers get some mud on them out observing on the fireline, or if my leathers get scratched from brush. I'm sure that there are many other people out there who would freak out. I feel that I'd be one of those, for expensive watches. Maybe I need to start with a basic, and work my way up...

18. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

My dad once left his omega on the top of the roof of his car and drove of, which resulted in it flying of and I believe run over (I was three), and it still worked.

My current watch was thrown 10m threw the air, due to the deployment buckle failing.

The dings add personality and they come with sapphire glass, so it won't get scratch, your car door might though.

19. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

That is correct, there is no seconds counter

I used to have a blue one, but flipped it a while back and find myself growing more interested in acquiring a gold/blue combo.

There were silver and black dialed models as well, but the gold and blue are my favorites for their lively color and pop, and really channel the 70s aesthetic:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f281/h...ronograph-collectors-buying-guide-140803.html

[​IMG]

20. bings

bings Senior member

have an issue that may be best discussed here.

i won an auction for an Omega two tone bracelet, billed as new old stock... however, in my opinion, it is a clear fake... like not even worth discussing that it is genuine... however, the seller, who has perfect feedback, insists with poor excuses that it is genuine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the last pic you can see that at the ends of the bracelet at the clasps the gold color is just that.... colored on.. it is not a separate piece... it's just a faint coating, likely a paint or something. there are no part numbers on the piece and in general it feels like a $15 bracelet from the mall that has been stamped with Omega.

i searched ofrei and didnt find any Omega bracelet with this release mechanism either.

the seller has offered me a refund when i send it back, which i will tomorrow... but i want blood.

what say you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.