1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

you realize that is a stupid question right? why would anyone pay 1 mil for an old stamp? why would someone pay 100k for a $5000 US treasury bill from 1936? the obvious answer is..... it has nothing to do with engineering. engineering is not the be all end all of why someone should or would buy a watch. different things appeal to different people for different reasons, and judging them for that is highly pretentious. as if because you dont care about that watch, therefor no one else should either.

1 person likes this.
  2. no frills

no frills Senior member

^^^ Seems like a bargain compared to the black RCO Daytona that sold late last year for $1.1 million...

But to stitchy's point - we do a fair bit of "I like it," "I don't like it" commentary here in TWAT. This is Styleforum, after all, and we are free to express our likes and dislikes. We always welcome a fair, well elaborated argument advocating for timepieces that most TWAT members frown over - and we always say "good luck on your purchase and enjoy, however you decide."

But a bunch of us do frown on statements that veer towards the simplistic, absolutist or sensationalist. You will most likely be ignored, laughed at - or taken to school (usually by Dino). Hah hah.

3. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Absolutist and sensationalist statements are the only thing that drive forum discussions, especially in watch forums. Every thread on WUS is the same rehash of "WEAR IT IN GOOD HEALTH" and then dies after six posts. With the exception of a few threads where there is some honest, opinionated discussion, everything else is just people clapping each other on the back repeatedly. Yawn.

Its one thing to argue about whether Rolex's current market prices are justifiable, but the whole vintage Rolex circlejerk is something beyond it entirely. It is, to me, a clear example of something being "awesome" by the sheer virtue of its alleged "scarcity" and nothing else!

There are watches you can buy for those kinds of prices that advance the art of horology and keep innovation alive, that are even rarer or more unique. That Newman Daytona didnt kill Nazis, and it wasn't even owned by someone famous!

When you can buy a 200+ year old Japanese sword that was painstakingly handcrafted by a team of men over several weeks, forged by the sweat of their brow and the blood of their hands, which has not only seen but physically made history, for less than half as much, its a wonder to me why someone would pay that money for a 40 year old Rolex dredged from the bottom of a lake.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yawn.

1 person likes this.
  5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Yeah, I think we're heading into the realm of hyperbole here. The Daytona auction is not as ridiculous as this auction on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261508138227

A well weathered Tudor Sub, head only, for $15,000.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1

7. DerangedGoose

Dont you understand? Thats a Tropical Dial! And a ghost/vapor/whatever bezel!

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Why don't you try this before going on yet another extended diatribe about features, brands and assorted phenomena that you passionately detest - posts that only serve to make many of us think you're some wanna-be who simply wants to show off your supposed knowledge of fine detail and horology? Post watches you actually own and love. On your wrist. Tell us about your collection parameters, and why. I'm trying to help. Really.

2 people like this.
  9. DerangedGoose

I dont own anything that would be anywhere near the minimum price range for this thread. I dont know if this thread actually has a price range, since it says "Watch Appreciation Thread", but there is a "Poor Man's Thread" too. I tend to go for stuff that offers a lot of "value" for what I can afford (a vintage Longines as my dress watch, a Seiko Shogun as my diver/tool/daily) or has some kind of interesting connection to me (some vintage Soviet/Russian watches, despite being a child of Jewish parents that had one hell of a time under Communism). Id post those if you guys were down to see em.

I wouldnt make serious "shop-talk" assertions because Im not a watchmaker and haven't really been into the intricacies of the technical side of things for long. I can only talk about how my personal consumption philosophy dictates my choices: I try to line up what I am getting for my money compared to what I can get elsewhere. Ultimately, I am a person for whom form should follow function, and I will freely admit that even if I were a person of the means, Im not sure I could bring myself to drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on a car, much less a watch (and I love cars). Some people are just way more into it than me. Even watching from the sidelines, however, I would find more reasoning in common with someone spending that money on "haute horlogerie" than a vintage Rolex. Ultimately it doesnt matter since both choices are subjective and substantiated by their own reasoning anyway, and I am just some dude on the outside.

Here is my question, though: Is the issue with my opinion one of degree or of kind? Is it inherently wrong to question the reasoning of dropping this kind of money on a beat up Rolex with no provenance, or is it the fact that my post was so polarized? Or is it literally the kind of thing where if you dont have praises to sing, keep your mouth shut?

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

^^^ A far more interesting and engaging response, for me. I am not aware of any price limits on timepieces posted here, or anywhere. I am interested in what interests you.

Far be it from this thread to become just about the positives and none of the negatives - we certainly don't keep our mouths shut about stuff we don't like. But it is the tone of some of your posts and the way you - perhaps playfully - engage with some of us that I personally found off-putting.

Tell us more about what you like. What pieces excite you.

Stop ranting like a madman.

3 people like this.
  11. no frills

no frills Senior member

And tell me more about the Shogun.

1 person likes this.
  12. bings

bings Senior member

not entirely true. dino goes after the person, not the opinion.

in any event, something i've been keeping an eye out for is an IWC Tribeca version of the 5001 Portuguese.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or the GMT II Coke bezel...

[​IMG]

owing largely to a current black/red theme in the wardrobe / driveway

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

+1

I too have found many of your posts in this thread off putting, Deranged. We're not the only two either. I echo Frilly's thoughts in this matter. Share with us more of your watches and of yourself, rather than what your posts have been about up til now.

14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Stupid.

15. ncc1701d

ncc1701d Well-Known Member

I guess now's not the time to show these photos [​IMG]

Ever since I saw Mr. Frills post the SD4000 I've needed to compare it to the watch I thought I wanted. I recently had a chance to do that and... I catch myself still being drawn to the JLC. With my stupendous lack of knowledge, I at least realises (I hope!) one is sports watch and the other a dress watch. But that makes little difference to me. Whatever I get will be worn all the time, because... it is a watch... and i can't afford both!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Get what you are drawn to. You'll only get it later if you don't now. I happen to think that JLC is beautiful... so is the SD.

1 person likes this.
  17. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Both great choices, but extremely different.

Seems like this should be a fairly easy choice once you give it some thought.

1 person likes this.
  18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Well if you want me to spend your money for you, I'll go with the JLC.

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I agree. Totally opposite ends of the spectrum. I guess it depends on what you mean by "wear all the time". If you mean 'never take it off for anything' the choice would be clear for me. The Rolex. No doubt the JLC is a gorgeous dress watch if that is what you are looking for. You can't really compare them so it really comes down to what you want to wear more.

1 person likes this.
  20. no frills

no frills Senior member

It's the perfect time to post this! +1 to dddrees' comment above. JLC if I was in your shoes. Get a good price for it and enjoy it. The SD4000 will be around if you want it in the future - with more discounts and mint pre-loved options available too.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.