• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I have got to say, I think that the individual pieces that you have acquired are much more horologically interesting than the ROC.

^^^This.^^^

Tie yourself to the mast!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:nodding:

On the other hand, if it was for something like this:

ClymerRO01.jpg

then by all means :)

The original is a beauty, but most that come up for sale are beaten all to hell, and parts are very tough to get. Still its a beauty.

The AP ROC is nice and I remember watching that episode and noticing the watch!  I have not tried on a gold sport watch but think it may catch my eye at some point in life.  I enjoy when other TWATers post them as YG tends to be in your face loud and I may not enjoy that once on my wrist.

I remember that episode also. There are some watches I like in all gold, but IMHO the RO is one of those watches that looks best in steel. All gold watches are an acquired taste. They can also be too over the top on younger collectors.

Anyone have any input RE: mother of pearl dials on men's watches?

Leave the MOP dials for women.
MOP dials are overpriced, they add nothing to the design, and if you ever go to sell or trade it, you won't get your money back on the upcharge for the "Fancy dial."

Although I have yet to warm up to the all-gold 5980/1R, both in terms of MSRP (over $90K!) or just the all-gold thing.  And yes, I've seen several, put some on my wrist, had other friends singing its praise.  Still not doing it for me.

True dat.  However, as with fake **** I think there comes a point where it gets too big... even for a self-confessed mammary worshipper such as myself.

I really like most Nautilus models, but the 5980 is completely unattractive to me. I don't like the subdial within a subdial, I don't like its pushers, and I find it top heavy and lacking the balance and versatility of other Nautilus models. IMHO the 5980 is a a watch that if I got one for free, I'd sell or trade it for a different Patek.

As for the other topic, too big??? It's possible, but rare.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am (once again) contemplating selling a bunch of watches, including an IWC Portuguese 7-days, vintage nipple dialled 18k GMT-Master and original Jo Siffert Autavia, to fund an Audemars Piguet ROC in rose gold.

Am I crazy?

Or am I Ari Gold? :slayer:

tumblr_mrqtq9SqbL1ryv722o1_500.jpg

WOW. I am not crazy about gold but ****. That is ridiculously amazing.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

MOP dials are overpriced, they add nothing to the design, and if you ever go to sell or trade it, you won't get your money back on the upcharge for the "Fancy dial."

this could not be more true. i see it all the time with women who want to sell their dia dial and or MoP dial watches. they pay upwards of 3k for the up-sell, and it ads maybe a few hundred bucks on the resale level, and the pool of people looking for them is smaller. and thats ladies models. mens fancy dial/bezel models will generally bring less on the resale side than plain dial/bezel models. it actually devalues the watch for the most part. even with original factory upgrades.

NonServiam

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Haters and enablers alike :slayer: I love getting this kind of feedback, any discussion here in TWAT is taken (semi)seriously, gotta love it! Regarding the RO Jumbo, new or old: Yeah, gotta love that one. I used to have a 15300, but never took to the bracelet. The Jumbo is much more like my Nautilus, like a cat's tail around my wrist. But then there's that, I have a Nautilus. The PP wins every time, sorry. With this purchase I was wanting something frivolous, the watch for an evening on the croisette in Cannes with one shirtbutton too many unbuttoned. I have a couple of serious watches, and want something ... fun.
I actually like rose gold for the ROC, but prefer the hour markers and sub dials on this one.
I have to respectfully disagree! I think both the new 41mm ROC and the new 39mm ROC lack the faboulousness of the old dial. But it's just my taste, I can only tell you that I find it more interesting.
To paraphrase PG (remember him??) - Exackery. On a related note, the new 15202 (different colour date window to example above) is IMO superb, and I may have started saving already for it... :) Honestly do not think it is a good idea to trade 3 watches, each superb in their own right, for (IMO) the watch equivalent of baconaise, or a hot pink Ferrari. Think about it - IMO as a "design icon" it fails (a PG version of a luxury steel watch??), as a sports watch it fails (croc strap), and as a chronograph, well, for $50k MSRP there are plenty of other options out there. If you are after this sort of "look" the VC Overseas chrono comes to mind.
I have never heard about baconaise, but I think I get the pictures without googling :D Yeah, it's a pink Ferrari. I think maybe I want a pink Ferrari. I think a pink Ferrari is perfect for a man with one too many racing green british sportscar in his garage. (Or some other appropriate analogy.) It is not a design icon, granted. But I never went for the icons on that strength alone. That's probably why my Nautilus is a 5712, and my IWC Fliegeruhr a 3717. They are not the classics, but still the ones I liked the best. Wrists don't lie. (Unfortunately, I have yet to try this particular old dial ROC on my wrist. Major drawback.) I do like this look, and have certainly tried on the VC Overseas chrono. The VC is cool! (Also a F.Piguet caliber 1185 based movement. I wish the movement was more interesting thought.) But the VC is a 42mm case, much larger on my wrist than the old 39mm AP ROC.
The AP ROC is nice and I remember watching that episode and noticing the watch! I have not tried on a gold sport watch but think it may catch my eye at some point in life. I enjoy when other TWATers post them as YG tends to be in your face loud and I may not enjoy that once on my wrist.
I have a couple of gold watches already, two nipple dialled Rolexes and a JLC MC Chrono. Gold is cool with me. Not easy to know that until you try.
Logically, this is unassailable. But precious metal sports watches are by definition an indulgence, a guilty pleasure, the fake **** of the watch world. If you're going to go for it -- go big!
Hm, I am by nature a natural ******* kinda guy :satisfied:
I have got to say, I think that the individual pieces that you have acquired are much more horologically interesting than the ROC. However, I have no doubt that the massive chunk of rose gold that is the AP ROC would be very satisfying to look at.
I cannot argue with the horological interest angle. But there are mitigating circumstances: Regarding the Heuer, I have three Heuer Autavias, the Siffert, a silver dialled auto and a manual (cal 72) in Siffert colouring (heard it referred to as "No Siffert", awesome!). Somehow I always prefer the three register manual Autavia. It is the one I wear. The Siffert represents the highest monetary value (Man, have they skyrocketed!), without representing the hightest "wrist value". That makes it a candidate for selling in my book. I have two nipple dialled 18k Rolexes. 16808 and 16758. The GMT is slightly redundant, although cool as hell. The Sub always wins in my book, it was the first precious metal sports watch as far as I know. So ... The Portuguese is the one that will hurt the most. I do find it incredibly cool, and for a larger watch, it fits me very nicely. But between that and my two JLCs, it does often loose when it comes to dressy. It's also really too big for formal wear, and has fierce competiton for more casual settings. But yeah, I dig that big dial! Anyway ... Hoping to persuade more enablers, here are more pictures that I've stolen :slayer:
tumblr_mrxberBBm51ryv722o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mrqtnhVwSe1ryv722o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ly9w2m4CF61qgcwvdo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ls79mkLbgT1qgcwvdo1_1280.jpg
Seriously guys, we're talking Kate Upton levels of photogenic here. Which I imagine is representative for the experience on the ... wrist ... never mind ... sorry ...

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dood. that watch is so damn beautiful. gots to be careful tho, i heard that brushed finish takes scratches just by looking at it. that ish is so hot.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I don't wear gold, but I totally get your image of when to wear such a beast. If you love it, you'll enjoy it, if you enjoy it, you'll wear it, and if you'll wear it, it's worth it. Not my choice, but not my watch. And I admit it looks very special in those pictures.

Your Portuguese might look better on me.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
You're going to get more devils on your left shoulder with those pics, NS.

But trust the angel on your right :D

And if mimo is calling dibs on your Port, I'm calling the Siffert!

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NS, thanks for providing a bit of backstory. It makes a bit more sense. You have already ticked the boxes; clearly there is no obligation to adhere to what we think as you are sort of at the medtech level of watch collecting.

I misread the nipple dial as a Sub, not the GMT - fair enough. I would rock a nipple-dialled Sub for giggles, but the GMT is sort of like a younger Kardashian I guess - i.e. who really gives a f*ck?

Good gracious, three Heuer Autavias? In your situation it would be a tough call as to which I would let go. Probably the silver dial but those silver dials do look fantastic with brown punched "racing" leather straps...

Still think you are a bit nuts, but a tasty sort of nuts I guess. :slayer:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have a very, very hard time giving up vintage Autavias, particularly if they had some historical significance to them. They're just such a nice watch (although, having said that, I suppose that one would be enough!).

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously guys, we're talking Kate Upton levels of photogenic here. Which I imagine is representative for the experience on the ... wrist ... never mind ... sorry ...

Oh right - forgot you have the 5712. Moving on then. Yes, those photos you posted are really, really lovely! Kate Upton levels of photogenic - BOOM!

Awesome reasons behind your choices for managing your collection, thanks for sharing.

Headed on a business trip today. Cold settling in. Felt fedora weather. My impression of James Bond villain Oddjob about to inflict some serious hurt with the hat in this picture, although technically speaking I believe he sported a bowler hat.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys! Haters and enablers alike :slayer: I love getting this kind of feedback, any discussion here in TWAT is taken (semi)seriously, gotta love it!.....

This; +2. This is really a great place to get some views.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How apropos that Town & Country decided to run this shoot with Scott Eastwood (Clint's son) wearing a certain timepiece......

Can't make it out very clearly, but he could well be wearing a Patek World Time in this pic from the same shoot:

I suppose that, given our TWAT-centric discussion, his fine taste in watches was the only attribute that gave him the opportunity to hang out with this young woman.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kid seems like a cool cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads