• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:nodding:

On the other hand, if it was for something like this:

ClymerRO01.jpg

then by all means :)

To paraphrase PG (remember him??) - Exackery. On a related note, the new 15202 (different colour date window to example above) is IMO superb, and I may have started saving already for it... :)

Honestly do not think it is a good idea to trade 3 watches, each superb in their own right, for (IMO) the watch equivalent of baconaise, or a hot pink Ferrari.

Think about it - IMO as a "design icon" it fails (a PG version of a luxury steel watch??), as a sports watch it fails (croc strap), and as a chronograph, well, for $50k MSRP there are plenty of other options out there. If you are after this sort of "look" the VC Overseas chrono comes to mind.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I am (once again) contemplating selling a bunch of watches, including an IWC Portuguese 7-days, vintage nipple dialled 18k GMT-Master and original Jo Siffert Autavia, to fund an Audemars Piguet ROC in rose gold.

Am I crazy?

CRAY-CRAY.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am (once again) contemplating selling a bunch of watches, including an IWC Portuguese 7-days, vintage nipple dialled 18k GMT-Master and original Jo Siffert Autavia, to fund an Audemars Piguet ROC in rose gold.

Am I crazy?

Love it. This one is currently on the top of my wish list.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NS - beautiful watch. If you have the itch, then you might just have to scratch it
btw for what it's worth I like it on that brown strap. I wouldn't be as big a fan of it on a gold bracelet, though I'm sure it would be buttery comfortable.

+1. man that is a beautiful watch. i usually prefer the RO on the bracelet, but i think here its better in strap.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To paraphrase PG (remember him??) - Exackery. On a related note, the new 15202 (different colour date window to example above) is IMO superb, and I may have started saving already for it... :)

Sure, PG was most exerent. The one in the pic above is the original '72 RO Jumbo ref. 5402 and the most beautiful of all ROs IMO. But I can understand saving for the new 15202; it's probably the only current production watch I could see myself doing that for.

NonServiam, as I dislike any and all coloured gold for a man's watch you should take my opinion with the appropriate chunks of salt ;-)

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think about it - IMO as a "design icon" it fails (a PG version of a luxury steel watch??), as a sports watch it fails (croc strap), and as a chronograph, well, for $50k MSRP there are plenty of other options out there. If you are after this sort of "look" the VC Overseas chrono comes to mind.

Logically, this is unassailable. But precious metal sports watches are by definition an indulgence, a guilty pleasure, the fake **** of the watch world. If you're going to go for it -- go big!

850csi

Reaction score
Anyone have any input RE: mother of pearl dials on men's watches?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have got to say, I think that the individual pieces that you have acquired are much more horologically interesting than the ROC. However, I have no doubt that the massive chunk of rose gold that is the AP ROC would be very satisfying to look at.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Personally, I prefer the 15202.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What do you mean by "input." Personally, I do not care for MOP on the dial of watch. Pearls are for girlz.

*Edit: buy what you like, just personally I view a MOP face as a somewhat effeminate trait for watch dials.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To paraphrase PG (remember him??) - Exackery. On a related note, the new 15202 (different colour date window to example above) is IMO superb, and I may have started saving already for it...
smile.gif

Honestly do not think it is a good idea to trade 3 watches, each superb in their own right, for (IMO) the watch equivalent of baconaise, or a hot pink Ferrari.

Oh. Didn't realize that MSRP was that high. If that's the case I will most likely consider secondary market options for this "cousin" of the ROC:

Although I have yet to warm up to the all-gold 5980/1R, both in terms of MSRP (over $90K!) or just the all-gold thing. And yes, I've seen several, put some on my wrist, had other friends singing its praise. Still not doing it for me.

But it certainly appeals to Lord Disick!

Logically, this is unassailable. But precious metal sports watches are by definition an indulgence, a guilty pleasure, the fake **** of the watch world. If you're going to go for it -- go big!

True dat. However, as with fake **** I think there comes a point where it gets too big... even for a self-confessed mammary worshipper such as myself.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You said the Submariner has a MOP dial but of the current lineup, they do not. I think you may be thinking of the silver dials on other Subs you have seen? Anyway, the Invicita collection you posted, I am not a big fan the watches nor the MOP dials.

But in all honesty get what you want or at least try an MOP dial on beforehand. We don't pick on anyone here for buying something they like, we just pick on them if they buy something to impress their friends....

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
re: MoP dials for mens watches - i rarely like it, but there have been a few models, cant recall which, that i did not hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads