1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

:cheers:

2. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

:) Did someone once suggest "chief enabler" for your custom title? I now support this movement.

Thanks B. Not sure if you saw when I mentioned earlier that your post was the one that first got me interested in this watch. I was looking at an older Airking (w/ stick markers) or something similar before this as a versatile watch, but then I saw your post and read about the Sinn. Got hooked.

No one I know is going there soon, but I have a couple friends there. What's the adv. of getting it there? Would love to go myself, but it'd be more likely that I visit Taiwan, Singapore or HK this year, which might also be good options.

What are the other two iyo? (Ay, do you see how you're sucking me in?)

3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

While we like to think otherwise, I've come to the conclusion that you can't escape the marketing image when assessing a watch. I realize that it's cockeyed on a technical level but it's also unavoidable.

You can appreciate the aesthetic and technical aspects of a Daytona, but if you choose to do so you'll have to deal with the baggage of its association with mafiosi and celebrity culture. With a Speedy, you get astronauts instead.

4. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

If the speedy had a screw down crown and pushers, there would literally be no reason to go with the Daytona, as the Speedy is the markedly sharper looking and more robust of the two.

5. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

you forgot to add Oyster case as well :laugh:

6. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at a sandwich dial.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. no frills

no frills Senior member

What is all this talk of the Daytona somehow being unappealing?

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

Someone should talk to her about the excessive wear caused by that slackness.

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

It is indeed somewhat loose.

[​IMG]

10. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

The twisted lugs of the Speedy are far more interesting and classy.

As for precious Daytonas, its Everose or bust:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you are going to get a gold chronograph, might as well have it be one with character, presence, and history, like the rare Gold F1 Carreras:

[​IMG]

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I'd wear my Speedy today, but I can't stop wearing this. Totally violates most my rules, too.

[​IMG]

12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

check my sig line. :)

well, hard not to include the speedy, even though i really dont love the metal bracelet, a croc strap is an easy switch.

truth is, i did not have 2 others in mind, but i try not to speak in absolutes, as when i do, its almost inevitable to find a foot in my mouth.

1 person likes this.
  13. mimo

mimo Senior member

It's definitely a violation. But I like it. It's such a monster of a thing, and somehow so..Japanese. I can really get the "Tuna" love. The Landmaster is awesome too, really distinctive and appealing as an unusual casual beast.

I can't quite get into your dressier GS Spring Drive, to be honest, for reasons you've heard a dozen times, and quite justifiably decided you don't give a shit about. But for a dressier Spring Drive, I rather like the original:

[​IMG]

It's still got a 3 o'clock date, which is a pet hate for me on a dress watch in particular, and the power reserve is probably too big and almost randomly arranged. But there's a balance in that imbalance, the lack of superfluous text really makes it more classy, and I like the case too.

I think I get your fixation with these things.

1 person likes this.
  14. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Ha ha! A spring drive with the power reserve going in the right direction.

15. bings

bings Senior member

i 100% agree with the fabricated hype, fabricated supply issues and also the boner-inducing gorgeousness of the Daytona, especially in any gold. it's a kool-aid i'm fine with drinking.

and as much as i hate it, i will have to shell out the monies to buy one eventually, just not while value plays into the equation.

i've been wearing the two-tone speedy on leather for the last day or so and when i look at it and think "this is roughly $8k less expensive than the equivalent daytona" it makes me feel smarter than i really am.

also, the wind-up movement on the speedy pro is a deal killer for me... expensive watches are already impractical... now i have to remind it that it's a watch every day? no thanks.

i think this piece being automatic, white dial, some 18k involved (though not enough of it) and then having all of the other features of the pro (proportions, dial arrangement, domed hesalite crystal, etc.) make this an under appreciated piece and a total bargain being that they are readily available for $1,800 - $2,500 all day long.

i've had to stop typing this post a couple times to admire it in fact.... okay i'm done now.

16. bings

bings Senior member

figured i should throw a pic in since the other one is a coupe pages back now.

[​IMG]

these things MSRP'd around $6k 20 years ago...adjusted for current MSRP and then comparing to current market pricing is an interesting exercise and probably supports the argument for Daytona ownership if you're buying new or near new.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I love the old Sun/Moon! Great watch! I came close to buying one years ago as my first dress watch, but went with a square VC. I'm happy with my choice but still adore the original manual wind Sun/Moon. One of these days I have to add a Reverso to my collection.

The so called hype, was not originally fabricated. When it used the cal 4030 based on the El Primero, Rolex was dependent upon Zenith for movements, so they only had a limited supply to use in their watches. With the released of the 4130 the supply issue eventually became a non-issue once production was up to speed on the new watch & movements. However, the watch still carried the hype of being ultra difficult to source for several years.

Its a very versatile watch and one of great quality. It has a great deal to offer, and for many years they were very under priced. I bought my steel Daytonas both 16520s and 116520s for between $4350 and $6500. Back in those days an IWC with a basic Val 7750 was $5,000 on a steel bracelet. Breitlings used ordinary movements in most of their watches. Most Speedys other than the Speedy Pro was used Val 7750s, and the Speedy wasn't using the more collectible Cal 321. AP and VC chronos were 2-3 times the price. BPand Breguet were also more expensive and had relatively crummy resale value.

Today, other brands have become more competitive, but the Daytona still holds its own. In its price range and for less, there just isn't much that I were choose in its place. For me a Speedy Pro would be nice to have in addition, but not in its place.

Each are great watches. As for images are things we live with regardless of which brands we choose. Omega has tarnished the Speedys for me with far too many stupid commemorative editions. A freakin Peanuts Snoopy edition Speedy? WTF. Then there was the Michael Andretti Speedy, that was ugly. A How about the I know how to parallel park edition. Maybe they can release a 46th year landing on the moon, and then a 47th, 48th etc. Sorry, great watch, but too many pointless limited editions dilute its image. I also find it bizarre that Omega essentially makes a Speedy that looks sort of like a Paul Newman Daytona.

Sorry couldn't disagree more. I don't think anyone specifically goes with a Daytona over a Speedy simply because of screw down pushers and crown. For everyday wear, its more practical, a 72 hour power reserve, sapphire crystal, greater water resistance, blue parachrom hair spring making it largely unaffected by magnetic fields, a tad more dressy than the Speedy so I think if you have to it looks better with a suit, and personally I find it the more attractive of the 2. In addition, if you want to talk about robust, after cal 321 was replaced, several of the parts became plastic rather than metal...so you don't actually get the same watch they made in 1969. I also bashed the heck out of an old Daytona 16520, and it never had a single issue. It was dead on accurate no matter what I did with it or to it....I eventually sold it for twice what I paid and bought another brand new one, for about half of what I got for it, and had the same watch with a brand new warranty, and extra spending money...you sure as hell couldn't have done that with a Speedy.

The Speedy is very nice watch, but there are other reasons beyond screw down pushers and crowns for going with a Daytona. I can hardly wait for your next statement, what will it be, "The only reason people choose and Patek over a JLC is because they prefer Patek deployant's over that of JLC's style of deployant.

Again I disagree completely. The twisted lugs are fine, but not my favorite styling element of that watch.

And if you want to live in fantasy land, why not choose manual wind Paul Newman Daytona in gold with the Cartier signature on the dial. It doesn't get much rarer or have more presence than that.

1 person likes this.
  18. bings

bings Senior member

i agree with all of this.

to me there are two reasons to go speedy over daytona.. one is the subjective 'feel' on the wrist which is impacted by the less subjective budget issue. the watch has to FEEL the difference in price and the Daytona looks it and has the image to justify and then all the technical mumbo-jumbo but it just doesnt wear that much better to me.

your commemorative editions of the speedy argument is as good a counterpoint as can be made however. i cannot argue that.

19. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Dino, we need more pics of that Vacheron. It's a beautiful watch.

20. no frills

no frills Senior member

So I'm in this bar in NYC and this one guy walks in with these two commonplace watches. Ho hum. I wasn't impressed at all.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.