• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plk7 - that's a very handsome Nomos - thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Good point. Regrettably, I think that for many, Lange and Moser would hold little appeal absent the (somewhat tenuous) historical link between past and present product - even though the present products very much stand on their own merits.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After being on this thread specifically I've come to appreciate the "Genta" styled watches a little more, specifically the RO

Same for Rolex in general. I wouldn't say I've done a 180, but the pointer is definitely moving.. maybe 90 degree-ish?

R

So, I saw a thread on WUS, and I thought it would be more interesting to hear from you guys over here. Have there been any watches that you have made a "180" degree turn on? Since being engaged in this hobby, I can safely say that I have had far more changes of opinion than I would have expected. The watches I liked when I first started this hobby I either dislike or am ambivalent towards, and certain watches that I was originally ambivalent towards I now own.

For one, the Speedmaster. At first I did not really care for it, then I became intrigued by it, then I came to own it, and now it is likely my favorite watch I own.

What is it about this hobby that causes these changes? With shoes / clothing, my *tastes* have not changed that much. I have wavered between liking a chiseled toe and a rounded toe. I have found that I like a fuller cut rather than a tighter cut in relation to the fit of my pants and jacket. But I have not switched from SW&D to MC, etc.

On the other hand... I feel that in many ways my preferences with regard to watches has completely changed.

For example, the first time I saw the Nautilus / Royal Oak, I thought they were hideous. Now, I seriously think they will be my next watch. My girlfriend the other day was looking at the 5711 and 15202 with me, and she was thoroughly confused. Like legitimately did not understand the appeal. Is it because of over-exposure that I have grown to love these two Genta designs? Is it because I know the provenance? Or is it because they just look so unbelievably good on the wrist?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

After being on this thread specifically I've come to appreciate the "Genta" styled watches a little more, specifically the RO

Same for Rolex in general. I wouldn't say I've done a 180, but the pointer is definitely moving.. maybe 90 degree-ish?

R

same here for the genta designs. they all took me a little bit of time to get used to, but as soon as did, i was in love.

plk7

Reaction score
Great question. I once used to say, with much conviction, that I would never, ever buy a Patek sports watch. I thought the Nautilus looked strange, and was as "un-Patek" as could be, given my perceptions of the brand at the time and the Nautilus's unique history.

Then I saw it on the wrist of Rudi Albers at Wempe - and he had me put it on my wrist. And he sold me that very same watch about a week later.

Welcome and thanks for sharing!

Not going to deny this. And when I first came out of lurking in TWAT one of the first things I said was how the information and discussions here certainly helped shape my own tastes and wants.

Love the look of that watch, but I'm confused - isn't that the Orion "Anthrazit"?

Turning it over would settle the issue since Nomos helpfully puts the model name on the case back.
smile.gif

plk7 - that's a very handsome Nomos - thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the welcome, and for the kind words. I'd like to answer Mimo's question. My watch is reference 506, which has been discontinued. The "other" Tangente Sport has a light-colored dial with numerals, and lume on the hands and dial. While my watch looks very much like the Orion anthrazit (almost identical dial), it's not. The giveaway, from photos, are the angled Tangente lugs, as opposed to the long, curving lugs of Orion models. Other less obvious differences: that particular Orion is 35mm with 30m wr, while my Tangente Sport is 36.5mm with 100m wr. Omega Male is correct about the model name being on the case back. I will take a photo and post it sometime. The Tangente Sport comes with standard with a solid case back, but I opted for a display back. It will likely be my only mechanical watch for life (purchased to celebrate a milestone). I chose it for its versatility - I think it can be worn with dressy clothing or more casually (with "nice" wr). I'm a great admirer of Seiko (a true manufacture - and would love a Grand Seiko), but I like that the Nomos is off the beaten path, and I've been quite pleased with it.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

R

I'm not entirely sure about the Nautilus - at first glance I thought it was stunning, but now something about it is bothering me and I'll have to play with it in person to know!

But back to the point, I'm also definitely affected by how this discussion has framed certain watches: I guess I'm a rarity in that I posted in this thread a year ago with only the most superficial knowledge and interest, and that this has been my primary source of information and inspiration ever since. I'm sure it therefore has a disproportionate influence on me. I don't belong to any other forums, and aside from occasionally reading reviews elsewhere when I want to know about a watch, this is really it.

The RO is definitely a good example for me. I didn't like it much when I first saw it, then gradually found it more appealing the more I saw it - specifically I think I took notice more after Dino's evangelical illustration of fine workmanship, etc. And after handling a few, I now like it very much indeed. As I mentioned during my "tyre-kicking" frenzy, my beloved has had a similar journey by proxy: it didn't appeal much to her when I showed it to her - in general she doesn't like the sporty look as much - but this month, the RO started appearing in diamond-decorated form on her Pinterest page. I think I'm in trouble. And it's all thanks to you TWATs.....;)

Thanks everyone for the welcome, and for the kind words. I'd like to answer Mimo's question. My watch is reference 506, which has been discontinued. The "other" Tangente Sport has a light-colored dial with numerals, and lume on the hands and dial. While my watch looks very much like the Orion anthrazit (almost identical dial), it's not. The giveaway, from photos, are the angled Tangente lugs, as opposed to the long, curving lugs of Orion models. Other less obvious differences: that particular Orion is 35mm with 30m wr, while my Tangente Sport is 36.5mm with 100m wr. Omega Male is correct about the model name being on the case back. I will take a photo and post it sometime. The Tangente Sport comes with standard with a solid case back, but I opted for a display back. It will likely be my only mechanical watch for life (purchased to celebrate a milestone). I chose it for its versatility - I think it can be worn with dressy clothing or more casually (with "nice" wr). I'm a great admirer of Seiko (a true manufacture - and would love a Grand Seiko), but I like that the Nomos is off the beaten path, and I've been quite pleased with it.

It's lovely - thanks for the explanation. I never liked the mix of sticks and Arabic numbers on the Tangente, and conversely like the Orion and the Zurich a lot. That's an interesting size, too: one thing that strikes me is how long the lugs are, making it stand up pretty big for a 36.5mm watch. How big (or small!) is your wrist, if you don't mind my asking? Mine's about 7" and I wear a 35mm watch regularly, but was looking at something with more presence. I figured the larger, 38mm Orion might be good, but if the lugs are really so long maybe the 35mm is fine, especially with that very flat, cylindrical case. I'd be interesting on your views, especially if you've handled the Orion in person too. Also, I guess the Zurich might wear very big.

Anyway, welcome. It looks great!

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I personally did a 180° on Panerai.

Never thought I'd own one (too big, too bold, too whatever)... but can't see myself without one now.

At some point, I might consider a different model, or an "upgrade" if you will, but for now I'm loving my 210 and I suspect I'll always have at least one Panny in the watch box.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
^^ Yeah, maybe that's worth a mention too. I thought they were silly. Now I dream of one (among others of course, but not that far down the list)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:slayer: 4 panny. same here. used to be very meh about them, now cant imagine not having one.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I echo the sentiments around Panerai and the AP Royal Oak. I've become borderline obsessed with the 15400. I hope the AD is open on January 1 . . .

kungapa

Reaction score
Used to not feel the reverso. Actively disliked it, as a matter of fact. Having read up on its history and seen some very nice ones with one or two complications in the flesh, one might eventually be in the stores for me somewhere down the line.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I echo the sentiments around Panerai and the AP Royal Oak. I've become borderline obsessed with the 15400. I hope the AD is open on January 1 . . .

:lurk:

BUY 2

one for you and one for me.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you asked me to designate the quintessential "wanker watch", I'd answer Panerai without hesitation. And I don't even really know why -- it's not like some guy wearing a Panny punched me in the face. Just an idle prejudice. Perhaps my Damascene conversion is still to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads