1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

What a beast!

Saw one of those in the Omega boutique at The Galleria recently.

Was actually wanting to check out the Speedy Mark II update, but they had not received any yet.

They told me mid-July.

2. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

With all the Rolex "value" discussions, I think folks have pointed out in the past that if you are just looking at the value of the materials or the movement, you are rarely getting a "good value/deal" with a Rolex. But with that said, I think you are getting a very handsome watch, that have usually a pretty solid resale value over time, and are fairly liquid (easy to sell) due to the generally good demand. I'm sure most would agree that spending the money on one is worth it. Just my one cent (since I haven't been in the game long enough to have two pennies).

1 person likes this.
  3. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

I thought I was the only one here.

4. 518aata

518aata Senior member

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't know the proper nomenclature. The piece I'm talking about is the last link in the bracelet that fits in between the lugs.

Anyway, when I bought it, I had only ever seen a few of them, and I thought it was the most beautiful watch in the world. (Hey, I was 25.) I then moved to Atlanta, where I saw one on every third wrist. Eventually, I got so tired of seeing them everywhere that I stopped wearing it. Then, while on a trip to St. Barths about 15 years ago, I saw the large, stainless Tank Francaise for the first time. (I don't think it had yet come to the States.) It was love at first sight, and I traded in my Rolex for one as soon as they became available.

The TF has obviously become very popular as well -- not quite every third wrist, but there are lots and lots of them. But I still have it, and still love it.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Honey Gold. They claim it's about twice as hard as regular 18k.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Ah, I believe the piece you are speaking of is the end link, and on those old watches in steel or steel and gold it is often referred to as a clam shell. It was hollow and not much gold on the tutone models. I haven't seen one like that, but I really haven't followed steel and gold DJs in quite some time.

The TF is a very nice watch. Its dressy enough for a suit, yet casual enough for jeans. I have a few friends who have owned them over the years. Actually, since they are not that large and my wife really liked them, she got the large automatic size model, about 12 years ago. Its been a great daily wearer for her and she bangs the hell of out it and it just takes a beating and keeps going.

Below is a picture of my Tank XL with Mrs. Dino's Tank Francaise in the background.
    [​IMG]

7. alpyigit

alpyigit Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

A few recent pix..

2 people like this.
  8. alpyigit

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

That's high up on my list of favourite watches. How are you enjoying yours?

10. alpyigit

I have tried almost all variants all Royal Oak series. Nothing beats the original..

1 person likes this.
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Agreed, I love my 15202!

12. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Since I am not an expert in all things RO, I have a question for you experts..
    This doesn't appear to have the Petite Tapisserie that I am used to seeing on the 15202.
    The face looks more akin to the Grand Tapisserie on the 15300/15400
    Can someone help me out here and drop some knowledge?
    I am sure @Dino944 can offer some expertise.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The new 15202 (Dino's) has the petite tapisserie dial, whereas the older 15202 has a slightly larger tapisserie dial. The new 15202 has a dial that mimics that of the original RO, whereas the iteration prior to the most recent version had a slightly larger tapisserie dial. I hope that helps!

If you notice, the version that alpyigit owns also has minute markers around the dial, as well as a white rather than slate blue date wheel. The location of the AP logo is also different.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

That model is a bit older than the current 15202. The current version does not have the minutes track behind the markers, either. I believe the current Jumbo is a "40th Anniv." edition.

Dino?

15. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Perhaps this is a totally foolish question, but how the screws in the RO bezel end up perfectly flush and aligned? Or are they not really screws?

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

The "screw part" that turns is in the back. There is a hexagon shaped hole in the bezel which holds the tops in place.

17. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

As others mentioned below, Alpyigit's RO is in fact a 15202 Jumbo. But it was the model in production prior to 2012. If you look below there are several differences mentioned. I prefer the petite Clou de Paris, but the slightly larger is very nice also. I think the one thing that held me back from purchasing the previous model was I didn't really love the Arabic 5 minute hour markers around the dial and the corresponding shorter stick markers.

All correct. In addition, the older version also has a white outline around the date window, and the hour markers are a tad shorter than on the current model. It also has a different shape rotor with a skeletonized "AP" that is more rounded and maybe decorative. The current model, the AP on the rotor mimicks the AP logo and the outer edge of the rose gold rotor has a petite Clou de Paris. In addition, the old style like Alpygit has was offered with a dark gray dial, white/silver dial, salmon color dial, and a blue dial (but a different shade of blue than the 2012 15202). The 2012 15202 has only been offered with a dark blue dial and the color has changed to a different shade of blue within the last year or so. In addition, the bracelet of the 2012 models is something like 1mm thicker, which I prefer. Some people lament the thinner bracelet as having a more mesh like velvety feel around the wrist, but I prefer the thicker bracelet for durability. In addition, in terms of beauty, he has the more elegant sculpted folding AP symbol inside his clasp, mine is the simpler flat butterfly clasp with double pushers as a safety mechanism. The old folding AP symbol while more elegant, was never as comfortable for me, and I wasn't as crazy about its single pusher safety mechanism.

It was released in a form very similar to the original 5402 "A series RO, to celebrate the 40th anniversary. Some people call it the 40th Anniversary RO, although I do not believe AP officially calls it that as they are still making it today, although the dial color changed at some point in 2013.

Here is a brief glimpse of the 15202 model that was released during the 40th year anniversary of the RO

[​IMG]

18. mimo

mimo Senior member

I know this one! ^^

They are the nuts, just slotted to look like screws. If you think about it, a hexagonal screw could not turn in a hexagonal hole. The (round) screws are screwed into these hexagonal nuts from inside the case.

I think.

Edit: too slow. :)

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

^^ They go through the entire case. You can see them from the back.

Dino, BK... have a back shot handy?

20. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Are there any comparison pics of the colour difference floating around?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.