1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

1. i hate gruewballs foreplay. technically impressive, sure, but so ugly and OTT unnecessary. i recall their quadruple tourbillon. i love a tourb, but one is enough, dont get me started on 4.

2. we have a customer coming in to potentially sell the following:

• Ademars Piguet Gents Royal Oak Automatic Chronograph 18K RG 26022
    • Cartier Mid Size Ballon Bleu 18 Kt WE9004Z3
    • Breitling Bently 6.75 Automatic Wristwatch/chronograph 18 KT RG H4436312
    • IWC Da Vinci Chonograph 18 KT IW376402
    • IWC Gents Portuguese automatic perpetual calendar 18 KT IW502119

3. more on why i love the 15400 the best, later.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. Patek

Patek Senior member

Nothing special, but my way of showing support to Brazil during their World Cup game yesterday against Mexico.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

And now for something that will bring average watch price on this page plummeting down, new Seiko Monster in da house.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The bezel is very cool - it's a glossy gunmetal grey that seems to colour shift with changing ambient light from near silver to near black. Lotta watch for a little dough, IMO.

2 people like this.
  4. mimo

mimo Senior member

My local AD has some Greubel Forsey...I thought they might be a little silly for the TWAT fraternity, but if there is interest I shall go forth and finger and photo them for the common good.

In the mean time, I have to say I am in deep sympathy with Brother Stitchoid over the 15400. I thought it was a bit too big, but in reality that white, or more correctly, silver dial, is simply magical. Every angle creates an optical illusion and a new face to that intricate tapisserie, every facet of the case and bracelet is an exquisite perfection. It is a magnificent beast and a worthy grail. I hope you get it, Stitchy..but I don't think you're a one watch guy, so wait a little. Here is some real life 15400 from my own unconsummated visit to AP:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

That is very cool - way nicer than the "shark tooth" version that followed the original. Presumably this keeps the later movement with hacking seconds and hand-winding when the auto has wound down? The styling with the solid batons is way better, and although I am not fan of the red and grey on more expensive watches e.g. Tag and upwards, at this price point it seems like a really neat sporty variation. I love my OM and I could definitely love this. Only downsides are moving the crown from 4.30 to 3, and the lesser depth rating. Small details, though, I like. Congrats, Roger!

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

All are great watches, just for different people and different taste. I found the 15400, not really too large, just the proportions never looked right to my eye. I know everything was increased proportionately, but it just doesn't look right to me. Also, seeing excess metal around the sapphire back because they used 3120 which was intended for the smaller 15300 bothered me a bit. But for many people it would be the right choice.

The 15300 is a very nice watch...although the second hand always bothered me. I just don't like the tail on it. I know its an incredibly small detail, but at that price point, I feel I can be picky. Interesting that you felt the 15202 felt smaller next to the 15300. To me the 15300 was a good fit, but I felt the thinner 15202 sat differently on my wrist and seemed like it wore larger than the chunkier 15300, even though they are the same diameter. Another RO owner I chatted with felt the same way about how the 15202 wears, but maybe the 2 of us are crazy. I'm also a sucker for the petite Clou de Paris, and other aspects that show its lineage to the original 5402.

However, as previously mentioned each Royal Oak is a great piece and as long as its puts a smile on its owners face, its the right watch! Its always tough comparing degrees of greatness!
    Sounds like a fun lunch and its always wonderful to hear from people with a true passion for watches, and their vision for the brands they design, represent, manage, or own. I think the globe looks really interesting, but its not a brand that appeals to me and I find that design lumpy and unappealing. Thankfully its well outside of my budget so I'd never need to consider one. Still glad that you had a fun lunch.

I'm always amazed with feats of thinness. Anyone can make something that is gigantic and put tons of complications into it, as they have plenty of space to work with. However, pairing things down to their essentials and working within very confined space is incredibly difficult. Sadly, and maybe it makes me a "Brand Whore," but I just couldn't spend Tourbillon money on a Bvlgari.

7. in stitches

hmmmm, the 15202 is not for me, but i am wondering about the 15300 and i have just read comparisons til my eyes glazed over.

ye TWAT brethren, please lay out your thoughts for me.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very nice! I love my Sub LV.

Congrats! Very cool version of the Monster. I like the lugs a lot. They give it a very cool industrial look. What are the dimensions of this watch?

9. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

great casual piece Roger! Congrats!

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Congrats, RP. That Seiko is really awesome. Love the color scheme

11. in stitches

yes, its a point i am agonizing over. :(

not to mention i cant really see myself not having a rolex. again.

15202 is not for me. as of now i am stuck between the 15300 and 15450. obvi trying them on in person would be nice. also, should i go 15300, that would require going pre-loved, yes?

12. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

DO IT

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Yeah it would. I think Dino and I share the same reason for the preference, just the proportions to our eyes aren't as appealing as the 15300. It's very personal. If you look at it after having that pointed out, and still don't get what we're talking about, then clearly that won't be an issue. Obviously try both if possible. If you want to come for a visit, I know where there is a 15300 waiting to be tried on haha.

14. in stitches

:drool:

would you indulge me with clasp and case back pics?

yeah, from the pics i have seen, the 15400 looks just as good to me, and i am not of the faint wristed.

where is this 15300 you speak of?

15. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

16. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Here is the business side of the 15300.
    Please ignore the wood "like" desk. ca. 1970

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. in stitches

location, price and dial color?
    gorgeous, obvi. ao as it stands, size wise its a wash for me, movement is the same so essentially case back is the same, besides the movement perhaps looking smaller on the larger back of the 400, a non factor for me. however, regarding the dial, the 300 has the larger AP applique at the 12 whereas the 400 has a double hour marker and a smaller AP applique under it. though i like the small hour bar preceding the date on the 300. second hand is a non factor for me. slight edge to the 300. the 300 has the skeletonized "AP" mini folding clasp whereas the 400 has a boring bridge that says audemars piguet. all in all, the 300 wins right now for me, simply based on some branding components. brand whore 4 lief, bitchezzzzzz!!!!!

18. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks very much gents.

@mimo - yes, the movement hacks and can be hand wound.

@Dino944 - 43mm by 13mm

This was a total impulse buy, but it had a historical motivation.

Back when I was about 16 I had a Seiko sports watch of some kind - quartz - in a gunmetal grey finish with red and white markers for the dial. Something I would find a touch garish now, but back then I thought it was as cool as could possibly be. My grandparents were living with us at the time, and one sunny Sunday morning while my grandpa was having a nap, I decided to wash and wax his car for him. Having done that, I then vacuumed the carpets and seats and wiped down the dash and door panels. All of which made the hazy windows stand out, so I cleaned those, too. The car hadn't looked that good in months. Gramps was so tickled he decided to take it out for a drive right then and there. He was gone about 10 minutes when I realized - almost simultaneously - that I was not wearing my watch, and that I had last set it down on the rear bumper of his car.

How it didn't fall off in the driveway I'll never know, but like most seniors Gramps took things nice and easy behind the wheel. The watch rode out on his bumper, but never rode back. I didn't have the heart to tell him what had happened.

Anyway, I was scrolling through this watch site looking for an inexpensive mechanical dress watch that someone on another forum had inquired about when I stumbled on this. It brought the whole memory back, and made me smile. Because what I remembered first and best was not the lost watch, but how pleased my grandfather was with how shiny and clean his car looked. And with the fact that his grandson had done it for him. His smile is what stands out.

I suspect that when we depart this life we never wish for more watches, but for more smiles like his.

7 people like this.
  19. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, we are definitely in agreement regarding the proportions. Its something I only noticed when I tried all of them on in person. Pictures just don't convey the proportion issue, as I never notice it in anyone's pix be it here, on the net, or in magazines.

Definitely, try them on. The proportion issue is something I only notice in person. If you are just going by pix, you won't see it. I don't notice any proportion issues from pix on the net or in magazines. Either way, both are great watches, but I'd suggest you try them on before taking the plunge! Wishing you luck on making that grail happen !!!

20. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Great story, Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.