1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Because it's fantastic at 40. Frills was nice enough to bring it along tonight to the NOMOS event to let me try it. Fantastic. As is the Metro. I did not like it in pictures but it is fantastic on the wrist.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

There are also a few BLNRs out there for sale, for over a year now! Try getting them with a big discount!

At the Nomos event today. DLJr took the train up all the way from his whereabouts to visit the founder of TWAT, our OP; have dinner with me at Shake Shack; brave the subways of NYC to check out my SD4000; and hang with Ben Clymer and the Hodinkee guys at the Nomos event downtown.

Here's DLJr wearing his 35mm Orion rose with accents (bottom), chatting with Mark Braun, the designer of the new Nomos Metro (on his wrist) with the new escapement.

[​IMG]

A fun TWAT-worthy event!

6 people like this.
  3. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Dilemma: Beach season is approaching and after getting my Speedmaster Sapphire Sandwich tested today at my local watchmaker, I was advised not to bring it anywhere near a beach.

Opportunity: Looks like I'm in need of a knock-around watch for the beach, active sports and rugged adventure travel (spending a month in S.E. Asia this October).

Anyone want to recommend something sub-$1,000 that fits the bill? I was told GShock (ooh, a compass!) would work, but the darn things look like transformers. And then there's Luminox, but they have that whole Navy Seal fetish thing going on. I'm liking the idea of solar powered with a screw-down crown.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. dappertimes

dappertimes Well-Known Member

My question is; How do I wear a classic watch with a smart watch taking up all the space??[​IMG]

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I never said it would be exclusive. In addition if they made it as a 42 that wouldn't make it more exclusive.

Rolex is known for making watches in large volumes. If you thought it was going to be a limited edition or exclusive, you were sorely mistaken. However, exclusivity or lack thereof doesn't detract from the beauty or well thought out details of the SD4000.

As for its size, its truly IMHO, the ideal size for a sports Rolex. For those that want a 42, there is the Ex2 for those desiring a 44, there is the DSSD. If Rolex thought there was a larger market that they were not capturing by only offering the Ex2 at 42 and the DSSD at 44, then I'm sure we would see additional professional model Rolexes that are over 40mm.

6. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Looks like a good time! Nomos is getting a lot of love lately. I'll have to check out the 'dink tomorrow a.m.

And was Greg wearing his 210, perchance?

7. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Okay, I spoilered your Glycines only because I much preferred your Hamilton pic over those two. And to be honest, I don't know much about them aside from the Airman watch-- apparently a fairly decent option for military servicemen who needed to track a second time zone back in the day.

8. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Seiko "Monster" watch? Orange seems to be all the rage but I think they come in a couple of other colors as well. This is the Mimo go to for the beach and it fits the bill at well under $1,000

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks! I was at the event and the Sales Rep was telling me that "how is it possible that I never heard before about Glycine!" I was going to answer, I haven't read about them on TWAT so... [​IMG]

But he would not know what I was talking about. [​IMG]

On the other hand, @mimo told me about Stowa's... dammit now I want this one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  10. d4nimal

d4nimal Senior member

I wanted to share my new (pre-owned) watch - my in-laws-to-be wanted to buy me a watch of my choosing for my wedding present (within a certain budget). Prior to this, the only watch I owned was a Tissot PRC200 (and some godawful Kenneth Cole watches in my younger years). I spent the last few months on watch sites and in watch stores in PA and NY figuring out what was important to me in a watch, what appealed to me, and what I could afford.

I ended up choosing this and meeting up with a guy from a watch forum up in NY to pick this up - I'm in love with it.

My new Jaeger LeCoultre Ultra Thin Reserve De Marche on Camille Fournet midnight blue alligator strap.

[​IMG]

The Ultra Thin Moon gets a lot of love (and justifiably so), but for me the RDM on the wrist was one of those "love at first sight" situations.

9 people like this.
  11. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Glycine has produced some great stuff in the past, and they have a legitimate place in pilot's-watch history, but the only one of their current offerings that would interest me is the classic version of the Airman, and I don't exactly need another pilot's watch at the moment. I much prefer the German chrono. It's a relief that they didn't mess up the dial with an eyesore of a date window afterthought like so many watches do, and the version with date is better-integrated than most, too. I like Stowa in general; they're a solid company and they offer some distinct designs. I can't think of any independent German companies that don't offer good quality and value for money, in fact. Speaking of no-date two-register chronos, I'm going with this one to begin a cloudy office day... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    6 people like this.
  12. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Congratulations - that is an absolute beauty. Does your fiancee have a sister?

1 person likes this.
  13. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Lovely sunny day in London today = no socks + Ex2 + espresso...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. andy9

andy9 Member

[​IMG]

Early 70's Seamaster over my hairless Asian arm ;)

3 people like this.
  15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Quite the expert, I see.

16. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

piker post, but my newly acquired Laco.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

your JLC looks incredible.

18. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Great watch! I love the Reserve de Marche. I have always been partial to the dial on the initial, 37mm variant (still on my bucket list), but the 39mm really is a spectacular choice. Plus, you get the beautiful MUT 39mm case, which is just gorgeous! Being a MUT Moon owner, I have really come to appreciate the multi-faceted case.

Wear your new RDM in the best of health. I saw it in the flesh not too long ago, and it is a spectacular watch!

I echo the sentiments vis-a-vis the sister.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, here is a watch I have really grown to appreciate. At first, I liked it, but did not understand it. Now that I understand it... it really is spectacular.

[​IMG]

*Neither watch nor picture mine.*

2 people like this.
  19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Also, great B-Uhr Type B. I have always been a fan of the Type A and B pilot watches. Laco does a great Type B. And it helps that they are one of the originals!

20. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I agree, that is why I chose Laco instead of the many others out there that are new additions to the market. A good stop gap until the IWC falls into my price range, the A. Lange will be out of it for a long time. I went with the Japanese movement, instead of the more expensive ETA. I have the manual wind Panerai for the movement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.