1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

thanks DLJr, I think I'm keeping her.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Steel,

I think sometimes the idea of a brand new watch that you haven't owned can be quite tempting. However, I've read posts on other forums (not specifically just Rolex) where people say that once the newness factor that enticed them wore off, even though they got a really nice new watch, the sellers often regretted letting their other watch go. So if you were going to do it, you want to be sure its not simply a newness issue and that you won't regret letting your Daytona go.

Best regards,
    Dino

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Great Advice!!!

4. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Dino makes a good point, as usual[​IMG].

Building on his concept about novelty being deceptive at times-- I think that as watch enthusiasts, in a perfect world, we would all buy "keepers" and never look back.

But sometimes, circumstances intervene. Financial ones, typically.

Or perhaps we just fancy something else. Possibly new in the literal sense, like an updated watch model.....or possibly just "new to us"... so maybe it could even be a vintage watch, the very opposite of "new".

Personally as an enthusiast, rather than a collector, for me it would probably come down to actual wrist time. Past, present, and future.

There's plenty of sadder things known to man (cue Smokey Robinson) but when great timepieces just sit on shelves and in boxes, unworn.....me, I think that's a minor tragedy.

So.....have you worn the Daytona a lot over the years? If so, there's a reason. You likely would miss it.

Are you currently wearing it much, or has it fallen out of favor, or out of your rotation these days? Then ask yourself why.

And finally, picture yourself in the not too distant future....say 3 years or so....and when you glance down to check the time, which one do you really want to see ticking away?

1 person likes this.
  5. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Thank you everyone,

I have some food for thought now. I think Daytona design is timeless. I just got it recently and it would be like trying wo wear a new watch for a few weeks, get your money back and move onto another new piece (BLNR) since I'm getting back what I paid for it. Now, I think I'll keep it for now.

Whew, feels better now gentlemen, thanks for the therapy time :)

6. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Always remember, if the BLNR is something you want, nothing is stopping you from saving for it down the road. And there is certainly nothing wrong with having both in your collection.

7. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Well it seems like you have made up your mind, but . . . have you tried on the BLNR? It has a lot of wrist presence and feels a bit more substantial than the Daytona IMHO. If I were choosing between the two (and I had a white Daytona for several years) I'd go with the BLNR. It would be very easy to replace the Daytona should you ever change your mind . . . :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  8. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Hi TC,

Yes, I have tried BLNR multiple times. I like it but would be happy with it as a second watch. I feel like Daytona can be dressed up and down and just feels amazing on the wrist. I think it's class a bit above GMT. Nevertheless, BLNR is very classic two tone Rolex that will do great as history already shown (Coke/Pepsi).

cheers

9. no frills

no frills Senior member

Well, this probably won't help Steel28's cause with the whole new watch thing and all, but... How do they say it on other forums?

"Incoming..."

[​IMG]

Wrist pics tomorrow morning EST.

4 people like this.
  10. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

hahaha, nice one Frilly! Congrats on the sweet SDc!

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

None of these are very hard to obtain. The dealer where I saw the BLNR in the showcase, told me if I wanted a fresh one that hadn't been in their showcase they can have one for me in about 6-8 weeks, or if I wanted the SD4000 their first should be arriving in about 6 weeks. The Daytona isn't as tough to get as it was years ago, but it most places it still takes longer to get a steel one than any of the other models. The BLNR is very nice, but IMHO the OP has only had his Daytona a few weeks I think he should give it a bit to time and get to know the watch.

12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I knew that was coming...

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Very Nice!!! Can't wait to see wrist pix tomorrow! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

I agree that the Daytona is more versatile and if the watch is needed for dress up as well that it would be the more suitable of the two.

15. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

16. no frills

no frills Senior member

17. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Dear Frills:

You are a Rolex-kopping-animal. I can't wait to see pics and impressions.

Love,

Newk.

18. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I really, really like the new 1815. However, for a little bit more, you can get yourself an aub/auf. Personally, I don't think that I would choose the 1815 small seconds if I could spend another $1,000 and get the aub/auf. I guess I would have to see both in the flesh to really make that determination though!

1 person likes this.
  19. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

True, true. It's all hopes and dreams at this point. The new SD has outpaced the BLNR in my personal quest... although I've yet to see it in person. I have seen the BLNR though. House first, watch next. :foo:

20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

If I go back to Rolex, the SD4000 will be the one. House first, watch next for me too.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.