1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Distinguished Member

Because TWAT loves a good story to accompany pics (of a watch that doesn't cost 6 figures)…

I had never been a Tag Heuer fan, mostly because of memories of all the fugly Link watches I saw in the 90s. However, I've recently been drawn to vintage (pre-Tag) Heuer dive watches, spending many hours looking at their old divers online. One blog led to another, and before I knew it I wasn’t looking at a diver anymore, but a chrono. More specifically the CS3110, a re-edition of the 1964 Carrera 2447D*:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one for dopey; the movement should look familiar...
    [​IMG]

The pics above, along with some good info and specs of the watch can be found here:
    http://www.calibre11.com/heuer-carrera-1964-re-edition/
    http://www.chronomaddox.com/heuer/articles/carrera_article/_carrera_pt5.html#The_1990's
    http://www.onthedash.com/docs/CompareCarreras.shtml

Everything about it is awesome and I think the dial/subdials layout looks as well balanced as the more frequently discussed Speedmaster Pro and Daytona.

Of course, it could have ended there, with me just adding the above links to my Favorites and looking at pics of the CS3110 from time to time, but a casual comment to a good e-buddy great e-uncle (or 'some shady guy I met on the interwebz', as he refers to himself) changed all that…

It just so happens that he has a minty one tucked away, purchased new in 2000 and worn only a handful of times since. A sort of outcast among his awesome collection of IWC, Rolex and Panerai pieces. The case is a bit small for his liking, something that would actually suit me fine.

An amazing offer was made if I wanted to purchase the watch. Still, there was some hesitation on my part because I had already been considering ridding him of another one of his not oft-worn watches (hopefully, that'll be the subject of another TWAT post in the future). In the end, the Heuer won and I'll be picking it up next week.

Finally, this is something I wasn't aware of, but thought could be of interest to others: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/someth...important-watches-the-carrera-and-the-Daytona

*As the name implies, the Carrera re-edition was a faithful reproduction of the original 1964 Carrera (at the time, TAG Heuer believed that the Carrera had been launched in 1964 not 1963- it was only recently after earlier materials were found in the archives that the date was confirmed as ’63).
    http://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuer-carrera-series-overview/

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Good luck, TC. We look forward to seeing it when you buy it. :)

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

wow....TC needs to get out of my head. I havent checked the thread in ages and came in to post a question about a couple APs im looking at....Any thoughts on the 15300st vs the 15400st? I cant decide on the size...the 15300 is 39mm and the 15400 is 41mm. I really wish they had something in between at 40mm. Anyone have experience trying on both? I recently cleared out a lot of my watches and want to fund one special piece.

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

Wes Bourne - congrats on that very cool looking Heuer!

post pics when you get it..

5. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

That Tag is nice looking. The word that actually came to mine when looking at it was "refreshing". The blue on silver dial is a nice touch.

Disclaimer: Most of the stuff I own is blue. Wardrobe is mostly blue, new watch is blue, pen color choice is blue, car is surprisingly graphite but doesn't come in blue.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Glad to help. If you aren't happy with your AD, send me a PM and I'll give you the name of the AD I used. I have only purchased my 1 AP from him (he is the owner), but he has a great reputation and is a pleasure to deal with. He was very straight forward, and there was none of the jerking around that I got from a few well known NYC ADs.
    The Split seconds chrono function is very specialized, no doubt about it. However, I just don't think I could find enough joy in having one if I already had a 3970P. Besides, I would rather have a platinum case than SS. I love the heft of platinum and knowing that as a metal it's rarer than steel or gold, its tougher to mine and work with, than gold and again I just can't get away from its heft...love it!

7. rnguy001

Actually "refreshing" is spot on!

I also am of the cool color persuasion - blues, greys, and my previous two cars have been graphite, but my current one is black..

Most of my watches complement what I usually wear I suppose (for better or worse..)

8. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

thanks a million D. Looks like ill be checking them out saturday. Also getting a little tempted by the Scuba too.

9. Hayward

Hayward Distinguished Member

It's hard to describe the Spring Drive experience without video.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

My pleasure, Bro. The Scuba is a handsome piece also. It's the only Offshore model that I really like. Its only downside is its not as versatile as the 15300/15400, but depending on your job and life style it could be the right choice. I would probably go for something from the original Royal Oak design, and then...if you can add another AP later then maybe get a Scuba. But that's just me. No matter what, you can't go wrong. Every time I look at my RO I am truly impressed with the workmanship, and I can see why these watches are so expensive.

11. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

Wear in good health although that dude sounds sort of creepy.

12. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

LOL. Nice Tag, I really like the blue tachy numerals.

13. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior Member

I bought my Flieger Chrono at the precise time when IWC had just updated the model to a larger 42mm dial, added a pointy hand to the hour and introduced some sort of red into the dial. But I didn't care for any of that....I wanted the old design which I feel is so pure and simple why would anyone want to mess with it just for the sake of change. Luckily they had one last piece available.

14. rnguy001

Great Caesar's Ghost - That's perhaps the smoothest I've ever seen a sweeps seconds hand move!

15. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Yes indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.