Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiddler

Fiddler Senior member

Snapped a pic of my second stellar piece....I have neither the budget nor the inclination to own any more. Between the JLC Master Calendar and the Flieger I think they cover a lot of ground pretty well.

[​IMG]

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ One solid dress watch and sports watch is all anyone needs and more than most have.

3. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

This is a beautiful watch, but for some reason the fact that the minute hand comes to a point and the hour hand has a blunt end bugs me... is there a functional reason they did that?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The squared-off hour hand was a signature feature of IWCs flieger watches for a long time. I'm sorry they abandoned it - I always liked it. It made them instantly recognizable in a sea of black dial pilot watches.

5. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Beauty. Congrats and please don't ever let this classic go.
    Amen
    I know it's boring, but still wearing this one. FRILLS - a little something in the background for you ;) [​IMG]

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

My Mark XV with those same hands is my easiest watch to read at a glance (ironically much easier than a 6mm larger PAM).

Also, that generation IWC Flieger chrono is together with a plexi Speedy probably my two favourite chronographs.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

A great duo you have there! I think that is more than enough to take you any where you need to be. I love the older IWC fliegers as well.

You know, I find myself being more and more drawn to this kind of thinking. I am very content with my Speedmaster and MUT Moon. Which is why I think that my next piece will be a good while away. However, it will be a bit more Frillsy :).

8. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

For what it's worth, my wrist — which is proportional to my height, not my girth — is generally 7 3/4" around, and I'm fine with wearing a sub-37mm watch when it suits. I feel far more comfortable erring toward more compact than too bulky for watches. In fact, one of the very rare occasions that I've received a comment about a watch was when I was wearing a simple 35mm manual-wind from the '60s, and the words were, "it's nice to see someone your age wearing a normal-sized watch for a change." It was rather encouraging to hear, considering it was coming from my boss' boss.

The squared-off hour hand certainly was a recognizable feature, but it wasn't IWC's signature, it was the British Ministry of Defence's.

IWC certainly wasn't the only company to make pilot's watches to the rather specific MoD 6B/346 specification:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    photos from markeleven.com

IWC's Mark __ series became somewhat conflicted in design following the Mark XV. Later watches retained the British MoD case and naming convention, but changed to the fashionable German B-Uhr-style dial and hands popularized by the Big Pilot — thus creating a bit of a clash for those that appreciate pilot's-watch history. Sadly, coherent design doesn't seem to have been much of a priority since Richemont bought them out, but I doubt they suffer many sleepless nights over it.

Don't forget that this is the same company that simultaneously produced "Mercedes-AMG" and "Climate Change Action" editions of the same watch. I'm beginning to suspect that they do this stuff on purpose as some sort of in-joke.

9. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Hey guys, long time no talk. I've been getting the AP itch again and I think I really want one of these. Model 15400ST.OO.1220ST.02. Anyone have a feel for what kind of discount might be available? I think it retails for $16.9.

[​IMG]

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i have seen a number of them in person, you should endeavor to do so as well. it is well worth it. trust. thanks, man! :embar: being in the industry does have its perks. oddly enough, the JLC has the highest MSRP of all my watches, and it cost me less than my others, and i got it BNIB from an AD with my name on the papers and everything, while the others i bought in the secondary market. the ToG and the PAM were the exact same price. to the penny. i just realized that the other day.
    great pic.
    no sure on what discounts are available off hand, but you can get it from prestige time for 20% off retail. that being the case, you could probably find B&M places that would go to 15% back. whatever the price, its a great looking AP.

11. djh

djh Senior member

I was offered the same watch for $14 with 12 months 0% interest financing recently. That was the first number they threw out; I've seen them for mid-13's new and in the 11's used.

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I don't think your photos angered anyone. However, I thought your comment that "Your job here is done, so we can go back to talking about Submariners"...seemed a bit condescending and snobby.

The name's Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis...an I'll kill Ya! Great movie reference Scott.
    There are often trade off that go with newer versions of watches, that sort of "Correct" perceived flaws...however, what some owners or designers see as flaws other's perceive as adding character or an endearing quirkiness. The Datograph has a beautiful movement, but I've never really loved the overall watch. A friend had one for a few years. He eventually sold it (not sure why), but he doesn't miss it at all. He has since focused more on VCs and Independents.
    Love it. I prefer the 3706 to the revised versions.
    Me too! I really prefer the squared off hand to the pointy hands on the modern versions.
    I know there have been numerous debates large watches vs. small, and also discussions relative to a person's build so I don't want to rehash that. However, I agree with your boss that its nice seeing people wearing normal sized watches. For me the sweet spot for watches seems to be between 36 and 40mm (+/- depending on the watch).

Thanks for the info on the origins of the squared hand design. I agree with your comments on IWC post Richemont. Its sort of sad, as I used to want an IWC for my collection at one point. However, none of their current offerings really speak to me enough that I'd pull the trigger. For IWC fan's I'm not saying they don't make anything nice...just their older designs were more appealing to me. Hence if I decided to get an IWC, I would probably try to find a vintage piece that called to me.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sounds about right to me. If possible, I'd go for a new one with a full warranty. Repairs/service is expensive on these pieces, so savings can quickly be lost if a watch has been mistreated or something goes wrong.
    I think he could get 20% off at B&M places if he shops around. Its a nice watch, but not one of their really tough models to locate or obtain (other than the purchase price [​IMG]) I'd go through an AD, and want a full warranty, without any questions about it. I know a guy that bought a RO Chronograph through a gray dealer, saved about $1,000 more over his AD's best price. However, he had problems with the watch and then b/c not purchased through an AD, AP would NOT honor his warranty even though it was a new watch. By the time he was done with servicing/repairs it was beyond any savings he got through his gray. I believe he said the repairs/service was about 1,800 so he would have saved money had he purchased through an AD and had a warranty that AP would honor. In addition to the 2 year warranty, if your register your watch with AP and you bring it in for (what I believe is a free service/inspection) before the 2nd year warranty ends they will extend your warranty by an additional year.

14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I think you've convinced me to go the AD route. We only have one in Houston and I have not dealt with them before, but now that I have a baseline for what's doable I may venture in. I guess if they're not competitive I can start making some phone calls. Thanks again!

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

I saw that post from TPP. That's a 5004 in stainless steel: a perpetual calendar split seconds chrono powered by the CH 27-70, a Patek-modified Lemania based-movement. Limited to just a few pieces, so it regularly trades - if you can even find one - in excess of a quarter of a million dollars or so.

Pluses:

1. The split seconds chrono complication is supposedly one of the most challenging complications to execute; I don't have one in my stable, but I don't feel a deep yearning for one at this point (wallet thanks me profusely).

2. I do like the baton markers for this version of the 5004's dial. Most 5004s come with Arabic numerals like this:

[​IMG]

Which for whatever reason works for the 5070 but doesn't quite work for the 5004, at least for me.

On the con's side:

1. Mentioned the crazy pricing already. The TPP post noted that the 5004 isn't simply a 3970 on steroids, but aesthetically the 3970 (for me) matches the 5004 point by point (and exceeds it, in my eyes, if the 5004 dial came with the Arabic numerals above):

[​IMG]\

2. The 5004A is in stainless steel - and it's priced at $200 to $250K or more if you can even obtain one (Patek manufactured it in such limited quantities and actually engraved the owner/buyer's name for many of them). That's a six figure or so premium versus a 3970 in platinum.

I get that the split seconds chrono complication has its merits, but versus the 3970 in platinum, I just can't get over the six figure premium to obtain a 5004... in stainless steel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.