1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

I think that while we all enjoy photos, they have to be in some context to hold an SFer's interest. I would prefer to read what you like about a watch in your photo, how an owner came to choose a particular watch, what is significant about it, or funny stories about your collecting/shopping experience. Without something to support you photos you eventually lose the viewer's interest.
    +1. Well said!!!
    I'm in the same boat, 6.5 inch wrists. I view it as giving me the versatility to feel comfortable wearing watch that is 37mm or smaller, or to go larger(within reason) It simple depends on the watch and the occasion.

2. coxaca

coxaca Senior Member

I don't know what "stegged" means, but I was aware that my server had been hacked a month or two ago and something nasty had been deposited there. My ISP assured me that the problem had already been fixed and the offending materials removed. I'm no computer guy myself so I can't provide any more detail.

I'd appreciate a PM Hayward, if you wouldn't mind, to clarify what you've found. I will again report it immediately to my ISP and try to get it fixed. Depending on what "stegged" means, I might have to take the entire library of photos down and replace it with clean ones.

Apologies if I have angered the regs here. I just thought some people might like to see some nice photos of interesting watches. I wasn't planning to post any more photos anyway at this stage. I just thought my three or four recent photo posts would enrich the existing flow on this site. Really surprised and yes, a little miffed, that this was greeted with such consternation. But there you go.

3. scottcw

scottcw Distinguished Member

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Distinguished Member

Cool - bullhead Seiko?

Deets?

5. Hayward

Hayward Distinguished Member

Seiko SBDB005, Landmaster Spring Drive. I'll have to post better pics.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Couldn't agree more. I am always glad when you come visit us Apropos.

You know, I find it really impressive that your watches fit so well on your wrists, especially your 5711. I would have never realized that your wrist was 6.25". All of your watches fit excellently. Considering the 5711's dimensions, it is almost magical how well it works on darn near anyone's wrist.

Yes, I can only imagine what they look like in person. I have actually never seen a VC in person, funny enough. ADs around these parts seem to be few and far between. And I really am amazed that you found a PAM, turn-o-graph, and JLC Squadra for all under $4k. Those are just phenomenal watches.

You know coxaca, I hope that you did not think that people were being hostile. It is just that you have such beautiful pictures of such amazing watches. With your hands on these watches that I, personally, cannot even find a way of seeing, it would be great to hear your opinions. You seem very involved, and I would really enjoy hearing what you have to say.

I would enjoy more pictures. I have always been curious about the Landmaster.

7. coxaca

coxaca Senior Member

Thanks for the compliment and very reasonable comments.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

8. Hayward

Did you click the link I posted?

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

This is a very good point. I guess that in reality those watches (especially the retrogrades) were probably purchased at sub-$20k. So that certainly makes more sense why they have taken a bigger hit. And in regards to the Datograph... that is a tough one. Let me try to explain further.

When the new Datograph came out (note: I am ignoring the bigger size--I prefer the size of the older version), it really seemed to have "fixed" the problems with the older Dato. It replaced the hodgepodge of differently sized batons and differently sized roman numerals with stick markers, incorporated a power reserve, and was in general a lot more harmonious. But at the same time, I kind of miss the old Dato. The old Dato was quirky, it was different. Something is lost when brands mainstream their designs. I think a great example of this is the 37mm JLC RDM compared with the new 39mm. The new version is much cleaner, symmetrical, etc. But the old version was just such an odd watch. The old version had so much more character.

And I guess that is what I seem to be drawn more towards--character. Character often drives some people away, but it makes a design endearing to those select few.

By the way Frills, have you got your eyes set on completing the 5004 trinity :).

[​IMG]

10. coxaca

coxaca Senior Member

Hang on. That can't be right. All these photos were uploaded to my computer directly from my camera, post-processed, and stored only on my hard drive until they were downloaded to SF's server using the "Insert Image" function. I didn't link to the image files on my server. These images can't be stegged. Unless I'm a terrorist with multiple personality disorder.

So I'd appreciate it Hayward, if you could PM me to clarify the above comment. If I don't receive a PM from you, I'll have to assume that your comment was in jest.

11. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Boinnnng! Chubby.

12. Hayward

Did you click the link?

13. Hayward

Also, if you took pictures of these watches yourself, certainly there's a story behind that you could've shared with us.

14. coxaca

coxaca Senior Member

Oh. [​IMG]

15. coxaca

coxaca Senior Member

Short story is that I used to do a bit of watch journalism as a hobby.

You (or someone) mentioned SJX. I'm a friend of his. More than once I've had my light tent set up on the bench next to his at watch fairs. There's a lot of dry humour in his watch blogs, which could easily be missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.