1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Dude, it looks like you can pick them up on the cheap. I saw one for ~$8,500. Not too shabby at all.

I enjoy when watch companies pander to the purists. VC has a knack for doing that, which I appreciate. I would not exactly call that watch a commercially viable watch. Same with the Mercator. Or maybe commercially viable is not the best term, but I think it gets across what I am getting at! I put those watches in the same realm as the 34mm JLC Master Ultra Thin. Not exactly the hottest of commodities for most folk.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Yes, VC does have a knack for creating watches with dramatic lugs and cases. Being the oldest continuous watch manufacturer, with more than 250 years of rich history, allows them draw inspiration from some amazing pieces of the past. I remember that watch when it was new. Great quality, but they were not that quick to sell. It was a reasonable sized watch. I'd have to check my reference materials, but I think it was around 35 or 36mm IIRC, so it wears quite nicely. Today they are often a bargain, compared to offerings from some of its competitors.

3. Dino944

Maybe a good way to describe it, is that VC's often appealed to a select few. VC often goes out on a limb to produces things that have significance, and quality, even if it is not always something that will have tremendous commercial success. That's not to say they haven't had a few mistakes along the way. The VC Saltarello, has been described at times of having all the beauty of a bathroom scale, and even that might be on the kind side IMHO. However, they have built some of the most beautiful and special watches over the course of their 250+ year history.

4. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Snap judgment: major watch-crush on the lugs! Very Vacheron. Totally agree, the case is a winner.

Interesting day and date treatment. Also like the rail along the outside. Good overall balance to the dial, in my opinion, but:

Not in love with the numerical treatment, specifically the shrunken 6 and the mixture of Romans and dots.

Where'd you find it, Nuke? Any other details or pics?

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I like it all. All of it.

Sadly, even ~8500 is beyond my reach at present. Ive never even passed the 4k mark on a watch.

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Yes, it was 37mm. A very nice size! And it is good to hear from you, because you know a heck of a lot more about VCs history than I do!

Yes, I think that is a very nice way to say it. I lol'd at the comment about the Saltarello. That is a great way to put it.

And I think you are right on point when you say that they have very beautiful and special watches. I like how they appeal to the select few. It amazes me that a watch like the Mercator even found its way to market. It is so... obscure. And who would it appeal most to? Cartologists? I think it is beautiful and romantic, but I think many people would find it a bit too "out there." I hope that VC releases some more interesting watches in the future. I love the 1972, but I would love to see more quirky watches from them.

Yes, I think that the roman numerals and dots are not to everyone's tastes. Personally, I think they are very unique. They make you take a double take. I like it, but I can see how it can also been seen as overly sporadic?

And it was one of the first stories on TPP today. Here is a link to the full story!

http://vacheron.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-14/pi-6004823/ti-880478/s-0/

Yeah, I completely understand. But for a ~$27k watch, it sure has hit it hard on the second hand market! And you have some amazing watches for what you have paid! Jeez! I am very impressed!

I am glad we are on the same page :slayer:

7. Hayward

Hayward Distinguished Member

And now, for something on a completely different page:

[​IMG]

8. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Holy hunk of steel, Batman!

9. Dino944

Quote:Hey Nuke, thanks for checking on the size. I knew it wasn't one of their small 33 mm watches, but the exact size escaped me. Its definitely and interesting and often forgotten/overlooked watch. I think the retrograde date was really something that made the watch special in addition to its beautiful lugs and case. As for the mix of sticks and Romans, VC does it with some degree of frequency, and I think they are usually quite successful with it. I think the dots and Romans works quite nicely here. My big issue when mixing hour markers is when it involves a chronograph. For instance I've always found the use of Romans, Sticks, and Arabics just too much on the AL&S's Datograph...hence I prefer their 1815 Chronograph. As for the price then vs. now...one has to consider that these were made at a time when there was very deep discounting going on with all brands other than Rolex. When this watch was in production, you could buy any VC or Patek from an AD with a discount of approximately 33-35%. So the original buyers didn't pay anything close to MSRP. Its only been in recent years that discounts shrunk or even became non-existent with some brands.

10. coxaca

coxaca Senior Member

I just thought it would be nice to share some shots of interesting watches. They are posted simply for the viewing pleasure of forum members.

All the photos are mine. A couple of the watches are mine, but most are beyond my reach financially.

My work here is done. You can all go back to talking about Rolex Submariners now.

11. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

Not cool. [​IMG]

Goodbye.

On the cool as sh*t side, great discussion of that lovely VC, Nuke and Dino944. I always pick up interesting tidbits and points of view when you guys share your thoughts. And I have no problem with timepieces that are 37mm or less in terms of case size. But then again my wrist is only 6.25".

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

12. apropos

apropos Distinguished Member

No need to get your panties in a bunch now...

It's not that the photos are bad/useless per se. It's that they are less good and less useful than they could potentially be. A bit of context would help, even if it is just disclosure that they are work-related photos. Anyone can go to watches by SJX for great photos of various watches with bland or nil commentary. Or manufacture websites. Or flip through the 10s of watch magazines available at any airport kiosk.

Adding single photos of multiple watches adds next to nothing to the thread, people scroll through, ho hum, maybe someone might comment on 1 watch out of 5 or 6. It is a pretty poor way to start discussion on a forum.

This is TWAT and while some folk may initially come for the photos some stay for the discussion. We have some knowledgeable folk here, and even the opinions of those who are not WIS matter, as they at the very least open my eyes to another POV - which may very well cause me to pause or rethink my perceptions. Tumblr-ising TWAT is not a good thing, IMO.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

13. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

Completely agree.

And in case I haven't mentioned it lately, I enjoy reading your posts very much, apropos.

14. Hayward

Hayward Distinguished Member

Titanium, actually. I decided that I needed a watch that would break all my usual watch wearing rules. I like it so far.

Oh dear. You know, I mentioned this in the moderation thread. All of cloacas pictures are stegged. I decoded one of them and it contains links to terrorist training videos such as this one

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

oh hell yes its a great bargain, thats for sure. and i am a sucker for a well executed retrograde. i just like everything about that watch. and ime, these things only look better and more luxurious in person.

thanks, man. i try and buy smart cheap. i am jewish after all. :p

apologies for trying to help. dont be a baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.