The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Mah brother! Wearing one on this chilly Southern Hemisphere winter evening too. It makes me happy.

[​IMG]

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Its possible, but a true GMT or world time watch would be a lot easier than using a chronograph as a make shift GMT, especially if one has to do that for an extended period. If I were out of the country for a long time with a significant time change I would probably prefer something with a day night indicator.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks man! You aren't kidding, it was all packed up nice and tight when it arrived. My TWAT friends have been so much happier for me than my real life friends...

Thanks Dino! The power reserve problem is definitely fixed. The only problem I see now is that it is running a bit slow. It lost 16 seconds in the last day... We will see if it settles down though. No use worrying yet.

Completely worth the free service :). Thanks man!

4. no frills

no frills Senior member

Late to the game here but crazy busy at work. Glad you got your beloved back so quickly, Nuke!

Great discussion about the merits of activating the chrono function. I tend to switch on the chrono for a few minutes every few weeks or so, but I do agree about liking to see that "sweeping seconds hand." Not enough for me to get a Patek 5960 (annual calendar chrono with a sweeping seconds hand), and not enough for me to think that the classic 3940 with no sweeping or small seconds hand feels somehow "incomplete"... but the pieces I have that do have a sweeping seconds hand does offer its own charm.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i find that is almost always the case with my watch goings on as well, lol.

:cheers:

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Thanks Frilly!!

Haha amazing how that works, huh? Just found out that one of my IRL friends is a bit of a watch nut, so that is nice.

And in regards to the chrono conversation, I find it kind of funny that people do not really use their chronograph very frequently. Whenever I wear my speedmaster, I use mine VERY frequently. I use it for billing clients (great for taking breaks), I use it to time pasta (of course), for cooking in general, to time how long it takes for my girlfriend to get ready, etc. Probably not the best for the movement, especially since it is a CAM chrono with a horizontal clutch, but if you can use your watch as a tool... you might as well!

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ lucky you! i have very few IRL friends, outside of work connections, that share my watch passions. ^^

i dont have a chrono, but i do have OCD, and unless i really NEEDED to time something, id prefer all the hands pointing up and in order. :embar:

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

There are watches that need a sweep seconds hand, and ones that don't. Something sporty like a Rolex, IWC, or Breitling generally needs a sweep second hand, as they are more tool watches. I can't really picture a Sub without a second hand. Something kind of in between can look good either way (the early Nautilus Jumbos look good without it, the current 5711 looks good with one). Funny thing, the shape of the sweep seconds hand kind of bothers me on the 15400 and 15300...hence I negated that issue going with the Jumbo which has no second hand.

However, sometimes, I prefer the clean look of just 2 hands and hour markers and nothing else to clutter the design, particularly on a dress watch. To me a sweep hand would detract from the clean lines of say the VC 1972, and it might distract one from noticing the way the Romans/hour markers are on a slant and the bottoms continue to mirror the shape of the case. Adding a second hand might be the equivalent of helping out a famous artist by adding a few extra brush strokes to an otherwise perfect painting. They came up with a beautiful design and stopped.
    [​IMG]

I used to use the chronograph function of my Daytonas more frequently years ago, particularly for keeping track of billable hours, travel time, parking meters etc. Now I use it occasionally, but not that often. I have a friend with a Speedy Pro, a Zenith El Primero, a Breitling Chronograph (I can recall if its a Blackbird), and he never uses the chronograph function at all. He just likes the sporty appearance of a chronograph.

9. Keen

Keen Senior member

I use my chrono to time my rest between sets at the gym.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Dino, that VC is stunning. Those funky asymmetrical cases really strike my fancy. For some reason or another, I am drawn to watches with a little bit of quirkiness. The MUT Moon being something of an exception. I feel like I only bond with watches that have that certain element that distinguishes them from the rest of the pack. The MUT Moon has the recessed date wheel which I think really completes the watch. The Speedmaster has the hesalite crystal. I loved the overly thick bezel on the Master Control. Maybe I am just kind of odd like that.

And Stitchy--I have to admit, when you looking down at a running chronograph and every hand is going a different direction, I too have something of a minor freak out. But there is something cool about knowing all that is going into the function, and being able to watch it in motion. Something strangely romantic about being able to literally watch the time move.

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Purchased! Though it will not be on my wrist until April 11, 2014.
    [​IMG]

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

With my first chronograph, I thought the second timer hand is the actual second hand, and was wondering why I can stop it.... :embar: fun times.

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

The new GMT, that is a long wait time!

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Wedding gift even though I know what it is now

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

In the spirit of jbarwick's above post...

Purchased! Though it will not be on my wrist until early December 2013.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.