• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided on a 114060m. Should be here on Wednesday. This marks 2 or 3 stressful months of searching for a watch. I wanted a stainless Rolex and ultimately the polished centre links of the GMT were too flashy for me (not to mention I find the bezel to be a bit busy). That said, I didn't want something terribly muted, so the cerachrome bezel with the brushed bracelet was a perfect compromise. Hoping to add an LVc before the end of the year as well.

Cheers!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided on a 114060m. Should be here on Wednesday. This marks 2 or 3 stressful months of searching for a watch. I wanted a stainless Rolex and ultimately the polished centre links of the GMT were too flashy for me (not to mention I find the bezel to be a bit busy). That said, I didn't want something terribly muted, so the cerachrome bezel with the brushed bracelet was a perfect compromise. Hoping to add an LVc before the end of the year as well.

Cheers!
Congrats! Sounds like a great choice. I look forward to seeing some wrist shots soon.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congrats!  Sounds like a great choice.  I look forward to seeing some wrist shots soon.  

Thank you! You've been incredibly helpful and patient with my posts in this thread so I appreciate the kind words.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your pictures and reading your impressions!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of G-love in here! I am now starting to realize right after work I take off my watch so it doesn't get more beat up when dealing with the dogs and other things. Am I talking myself into a G-Shock being useful? I look at my wrist and think, damn I wish I knew the time.

Is TWAT the justification here or is this a SF thing in general where justifying purchases is the normal?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
eroding my willpower.

Your....what?
crackup[1].gif

Decided on a 114060m.

As resident TWAT hobo, I have to say that this is increasingly the most prominent watch in my aspirations at the moment. For all the dozens of other objects of desire in my mind, and despite the obviousness of it, it's just...right. Ever since I put one on my wrist while bored in an airport, it's the one I always come back to as the "just one treat, when the next decent deal comes through...". Sure, there are vintage options and all sorts of other iconic classics. But there's just nothing wrong with it, is there? It's just something that however many times I look at it, it's still perfect. There's never that feeling of "if it only had x or came in y" that I can ask myself about other things. I love this, it's a brilliant choice in my ignorant opinion, and one day I will have one too, I'm sure of it! Congratulations on acquiring flawlessness!

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
About a Cheap Watch

Funny, I thought when I finally posted in here about buying a new watch, it would be for me, and something with a little more "TWAT-cred". But first, this.

My son is fourteen years old. He's a good boy and I'm proud of him. He's not especially interested in watches (then again, neither was I until a year ago..damn you, TWAT!)

However, he was intrigued by the idea of my father's old Omega, that I repaired last year, and have worn since (and, fatally, shared here...damn you, TWAT!). A few months ago, I gave him an old quartz watch that I'd had years ago, when I wasn't much older than him. He liked the idea of being handed down something, however simple. But that watch has seen it's last days as a functioning timepiece, and although it might follow him around for the rest of his days as a rusting curio (if he's anything like me), it turns out that it's no longer fit for wearing.

Now, I've been thinking for a while that I should replace that with something he can actually wear. I have been away for a long time without seeing him or his sisters, and will get back to them in the next couple of days for some long-anticipated time together - perfect time for a surprise gift. I did consider giving him my existing beater/back-up quartz, or even my bizarre dictator-kitsch Saddam Hussein Rodania. But the former isn't very special, and the latter not very wearable. So, I thought I'd buy one.

To be honest, it's been a ****** year for business, I've not had the cash for many treats (mine or theirs!), and the green shoots of recovery are only just appearing. Also, he got a tiny birthday present compared to his sisters', without a hint of complaint. So, with modest income restored and positive signs appearing for the future, it was time for a little gift that's been overdue to him, and today I went shopping.

The brief was pretty simple: I wanted a mechanical watch - his first "proper" watch, that was cheap enough for a young boy to wear regularly (i.e. potentially scratch and break!), but not Chinese. Enter the ubiquitous ETA. I wanted a bracelet for practicality, a simple, manly design that would still be wearable years from now (no novelty bright-coloured Sub imitiations etc), and a price that reflected the generic nature of the movement rather than some inflated sense of brand value. One obvious answer would have been Swatch's automatic range, which are very cheap. But I also wanted it to come in a proper box that looked like it was worth keeping, encouraging him to value the maintenance of the whole package for posterity - and perhaps add to it later on. The Swatch wasn't "proper" enough, somehow - though I did pick up a couple of quartz ones for the girls so they don't feel left out!

I have to say it felt pleasingly solid in the hand for that price, and the design, modest-but-real brand and overall presentation seemed just the thing to whet his interest and let him feel this was something worth taking care of - without breaking the bank.

Any sage advice / callous cries of "fool"? Give it to me straight! I can't help but wonder after reading the last couple of pages, if I should have got him a G-Shock and I'm instead imposing my conservative tastes! But then again he did like his suede brogues...and this, I hope, he won't outgrow.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About a Cheap Watch

Funny, I thought when I finally posted in here about buying a new watch, it would be for me, and something with a little more "TWAT-cred". But first, this.

My son is fourteen years old. He's a good boy and I'm proud of him. He's not especially interested in watches (then again, neither was I until a year ago..damn you, TWAT!)

However, he was intrigued by the idea of my father's old Omega, that I repaired last year, and have worn since (and, fatally, shared here...damn you, TWAT!). A few months ago, I gave him an old quartz watch that I'd had years ago, when I wasn't much older than him. He liked the idea of being handed down something, however simple. But that watch has seen it's last days as a functioning timepiece, and although it might follow him around for the rest of his days as a rusting curio (if he's anything like me), it turns out that it's no longer fit for wearing.

Now, I've been thinking for a while that I should replace that with something he can actually wear. I have been away for a long time without seeing him or his sisters, and will get back to them in the next couple of days for some long-anticipated time together - perfect time for a surprise gift. I did consider giving him my existing beater/back-up quartz, or even my bizarre dictator-kitsch Saddam Hussein Rodania. But the former isn't very special, and the latter not very wearable. So, I thought I'd buy one.

To be honest, it's been a ****** year for business, I've not had the cash for many treats (mine or theirs!), and the green shoots of recovery are only just appearing. Also, he got a tiny birthday present compared to his sisters', without a hint of complaint. So, with modest income restored and positive signs appearing for the future, it was time for a little gift that's been overdue to him, and today I went shopping.

The brief was pretty simple: I wanted a mechanical watch - his first "proper" watch, that was cheap enough for a young boy to wear regularly (i.e. potentially scratch and break!), but not Chinese. Enter the ubiquitous ETA. I wanted a bracelet for practicality, a simple, manly design that would still be wearable years from now (no novelty bright-coloured Sub imitiations etc), and a price that reflected the generic nature of the movement rather than some inflated sense of brand value. One obvious answer would have been Swatch's automatic range, which are very cheap. But I also wanted it to come in a proper box that looked like it was worth keeping, encouraging him to value the maintenance of the whole package for posterity - and perhaps add to it later on. The Swatch wasn't "proper" enough, somehow - though I did pick up a couple of quartz ones for the girls so they don't feel left out!

I have to say it felt pleasingly solid in the hand for that price, and the design, modest-but-real brand and overall presentation seemed just the thing to whet his interest and let him feel this was something worth taking care of - without breaking the bank.

Any sage advice / callous cries of "fool"? Give it to me straight! I can't help but wonder after reading the last couple of pages, if I should have got him a G-Shock and I'm instead imposing my conservative tastes! But then again he did like his suede brogues...and this, I hope, he won't outgrow.

What an awesome, lovely story, mimo! No callous cries of fool here - let us know how your son likes the piece!

I think it's an appropriate "starting" piece - certainly worth caring for, without breaking the bank. Now perhaps a G-Shock is in order for next year!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really a great choice Mimo. My good friend's girlfriend was looking for a watch for him for his graduation, and her and I went on the hunt. We actually picked out the same Tissot! I think it is a great mixture of being relatively inexpensive, versatile (it is sporty and dressy), youthful yet mature, and from an established brand with a solid pedigree. I think Tissot is about as good as it gets in that price range, I am sure that he will be very happy. He can easily swap the bracelet for a leather strap if he so desires as well!

Great choice, and lovely story. Hopefully we will see him on here in a couple years!

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We actually picked out the same Tissot!

Great choice, and lovely story. Hopefully we will see him on here in a couple years!

fistbump.gif

Visited G-Shock in Soho this afternoon. Fits pretty well on my eeny weeny wrist. Didn't get one. But then again they didn't have a Frogman in stock. Hmm....

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:fistbump:

Visited G-Shock in Soho this afternoon.  Fits pretty well on my eeny weeny wrist.  Didn't get one.  But then again they didn't have a Frogman in stock.  Hmm....

You know, the Frogman... intrigues me. However, I have heard it is absolutely GINORMOUS. Like Invicta Russian Diver big. Not sure if I am man enough to handle that.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Congrats!  Sounds like a great choice.  I look forward to seeing some wrist shots soon.  

+1. fantastic choice!

---

mimo - awesome story. very heartwarming. its a great looking watch, and more importantly, im sure it will be a meaningful item of his that will always make him think of his dad, fondly. well done, sir. well done indeed.

Kazimir

Reaction score
Regarding all this love for G-Shock, I remember the signature of a WIS member that made me sell most of the watches I liked, but didn't love.

"Never put on your wrist something that isn't useful or beautiful to you"- quoting with large approximation.

I have a specific watch for running that shows me the speed, beeps me if I slow the pace and does other things that mechanichal watches can't. But that's a tool to me, not a "watch". It's useful.

Other than that, I try to see that every moment of my life is unique and fleeting, and I try to spend it in the best company possible.

So if you really like the G-Shock or it's necessary for a purpose- by all means. If not, just wear your beautiful watches without fear of scratches, most likely they will outlast you anyway.

Just a humble opinion.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spot on, Speedy!

First day of work Monday!

And in regards to the G-Shocks... I have kind of wanted one lately as well. I just need to find one that I like now. Kind of want something completely "out there." Like one of the black analog ones.

This "King of the G-shocks" is suitably preposterous on my 7" wrist. I got it because it's not as common , and I liked the large rectangular shape. The purple and black version (Decepticon?) is cooler still.

That being said the G-Shock shown by Nuke is far more useful and comfortable IMO.

The GX-56! How large is this watch in terms of how it wears on your wrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads