The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Heck, no - go for it.

You can easily have different watches for different situations.

I've only got a vintage Heuer and a couple of Omegas, so I don't have a great collection, but I also have a G-Shock and a Nike watch, and they're great for mountain-biking, running and playing in the park with my kids.

Different watches for different roles. I don't wear the G-Shock with a suit, and I don't wear my vintage Heuer Carrera when I'm rolling down some fire trails as I don't want to scratch the heck out of it if I crash!

2. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Nice watches. I suppose I would have just bought the extra faceplate and had them switch them. I don't think I ever really thought they would do an outright 1 for 1 switch.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Glad you got a good laugh out of it.

Hi Dopey,

No, I didn't realize that so much had been replaced over the years. But still, I think its great you've kept it going, especially since its been through so much and you've shared lots of adventures with it. It's when a watch goes beyond the sum of its parts, and becomes so much more... it becomes so familiar its like an old friend or relative. I hope it lasts you at least another 25 years.!

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Some companies ONLY do a 1 for 1switch. I'm not sure how Patek deals with parts requests. You should contact them and find out what what their policies are.

5. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

So, I was going to post a long response after reading the back and forth yesterday, but instead, I walked up to the bar and got a drink (okay a few). Once again, a form of TWAT is encouraging my alcohol dependency.
    [​IMG]

6. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Can someone please repost that short fim that explains watches? The one with the journalist who is in search of the perfect watch. Features Richard Mille, etc

7. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

It looks like you're eating a mason jar of jellied moonshine with a knife. Which would be pretty hardcore, even for this group.

8. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. But I think that one was mostly tequila, ginger beer, and guava nectar.

9. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

That reminds me, I need a drink.

[​IMG]

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

here

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

also, i just bought (for work) a dominos pizza rolex. dont recall buying one of those before, lol.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  12. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hope the session proved therapeutic!

13. Cylon

Cylon Senior member

ME TOO!!

its funny that NonServiam posted his just recently but I have been of the same mind for a few weeks now!

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

[​IMG]

First day of work Monday!

And in regards to the G Shocks... I have kind of wanted one lately as well. I just need to find one that I like now. Kind of want something completely "out there." Like one of the black analog ones.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

The GX-56! How large is this watch in terms of how it wears on your wrist?

Yes, I guess I've done a bit of research and I know model / reference numbers..... [​IMG]

Thanks for the encouragement! Yeah, I'm thinking of activities like running, stuff that potentially involves tons of sweat, possibly mud and sand. For kicks I do the Tough Mudder races and I'm not sure I want to wear my other mechanicals doing that. The G-Shock looks like it's built for that.

You know my problem? Apparently Casio just opened a G-Shock store in SoHo in NYC, which is about two subway stops from me.

So much for any resolve I might have had to hold off on a purchase... On the plus side, these things are relatively cheap compared to some of the pieces we discuss in TWAT!

Hah, Belli - you always come up with the most entertaining of pics! But yes, although I am not a surfer and I don't ski much, I'm thinking that running an hours-long race in the mud would disqualify most of the watches in my stable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.