1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckseabreeze

chuckseabreeze Senior member

Greg is quite right by saying that the case wears high on the wrist. It's noticeable especially on my puny wrist. Me myself doesn't mind this at all. I had read about it being high on your wrist, but i wanted to see for myself and just tried it on. That would be my advice.

Thanks, and afterall, who is it that we really should aim to please, clothing and watch wise?

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

JLC Reverso duo is the ultimate drool watch for me. But $12K for the model I like would get me beaten by the gf, nevermind my CC company. In due time, I will wait patiently and pounce when the time is right. As Greg mentioned, it is a taller watch on the wrist, but I have extremely small wrists and I still thought it looked fine.

I was talking watches with one of the MD's at work and he handed me a $1,000 gift cart to Tourneau good for any JLC, IWC, Breitling, Corum, or Ebel. Worst timing in the world, I just moved in to a new apartment so no spare cash. I told him I'll venture around in the fall, I'm looking to snag an IWC.

3. spertia

spertia Senior member

I was talking watches with one of the MD's at work and he handed me a $1,000 gift cart to Tourneau good for any JLC, IWC, Breitling, Corum, or Ebel. Worst timing in the world, I just moved in to a new apartment so no spare cash. I told him I'll venture around in the fall, I'm looking to snag an IWC.

Wow, that's rather generous. Which IWC do you think you'll get?

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think those are phony money - doesn't it have a minimum purchase price in the fine print? Since they can't stack with typical discounts, it's just the equivalent of giving you a discount in store.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Wow, that's rather generous. Which IWC do you think you'll get?

honestly, I really dig the basic Portofino midsize. Simple, elegant, versatile, and it fits my tiny wrists great.

I think those are phony money - doesn't it have a minimum purchase price in the fine print? Since they can't stack with typical discounts, it's just the equivalent of giving you a discount in store.

No minimum purchase, but it has to be for the specified brands which are not cheap to begin with. It said not to be combined with clearance items or other sales, I'm not sure about the typical discounts they give. Still, the MSRP of the one I have my eye on is only like $2800, so $1000 off is a substantial amount. The story would certainly be different if it was for the $12K JLC I like.

6. Confucius

Confucius Senior member

[​IMG]

So er...how do you read this thing? Is the time 10 past 10 o'clock in this pic?

7. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So er...how do you read this thing? Is the time 10 past 10 o'clock in this pic?

yay! good job... you get a cookie [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(sorry I took a bite [​IMG])

8. Confucius

Confucius Senior member

Thanks! I'm not as dumb as my mum keeps telling me.

9. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior member

10. KtownGreg

KtownGreg Senior member

Here's to add some JLC love. Nice watch greg. Is that strap from ABP?

[​IMG]

JLC OEM, blue

Love, love, love the Reverso Grand Date. But Greg and Miguel, do you think that the watch wears too big to be a true dress watch, in your opinion? I really am just asking, as I have never handled or worn one in real life.

Perhaps depending on your true definition of dress. Would I wear it with a suit? Definitely. Tux? Perhaps? No hesitation but a black strap and gold face are called for.

Well of course, your 2 cents are probably worth more than anyone else's 2 cents around here when it comes to watches. I too like bigger watches, at least slightly larger proportional to wrist size, and have never handled a RGD in person, but feel like it wouldn't work well on my wrist either, and I probably have smaller wrists than you, Greg. Mine are just under 7 and I think you said once yours were like 7.25 -7.5. Beautiful watch though. As far as photos go, my favorite design, maybe even more so than some of the beautiful Lange's and FP Journes. Oh well, I won't stress about it too much [​IMG]

My wrist is 6.75inches. It is comforatable. I also wear an IWC Top Gun. I've had a few Panerais but they weren't keepers for me. This one has great appeal to my WIS tendencies. The fact that you can flip it over and just watch the movement is an added bonus.

11. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

12. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Lovely watch, the strap does nothing for me though.

13. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

My dream watch is a JLC Reverso Grande Date GMT...need to go try one on. Normal sized Reverso Duo felt a little small on the wrist.

14. chuckseabreeze

Lovely watch, the strap does nothing for me though.
    Disagree, I have that strap too and it is my favorite nato design thus far, very versatile IMO. Looks good Warren. And much better than the leather strap it came with.

15. inq89

inq89 Senior member

+1 on the NATO strap. Is it 18mm? Was thinking of getting one from gnomonwatches but its out of 18mm at this moment.

16. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

Actually it's 20mm.
    Thanks !

17. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Disagree, I have that strap too and it is my favorite nato design thus far, very versatile IMO. Looks good Warren. And much better than the leather strap it came with.

That's fine. I always prefer a metal bracelet myself, just my personal preference.

18. chuckseabreeze

That's fine. I always prefer a metal bracelet myself, just my personal preference.

Ha, no worries, I can appreciate a nice metal bracelet as well.

19. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Rose gold - the dial resembles the dials on my car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. PandArts

PandArts Senior member

Rose gold - the dial resembles the dials on my car.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.