• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can anyone recommend a decent quartz watch for $600 and under?

i don't wanna pay for the service fees on automatic watches anymore..

please don't flame me! :hide:

If you didn't have the price restriction, you could go vintage oysterquartz.

If you want to pay $500 for a quartz watch, you can always buy a shinola...

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even quartz watches have to be serviced from time to time. True if it's a cheap one, you'll probably just throw it away when it stops working (that is if a battery replacement doesn't do the trick). But if you buy a more expensive quartz such as a Patek or Rolex quartz watch you'll want to get it serviced.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even quartz watches have to be serviced from time to time. True if it's a cheap one, you'll probably just throw it away when it stops working (that is if a battery replacement doesn't do the trick). But if you buy a more expensive quartz such as a Patek or Rolex quartz watch you'll want to get it serviced.

Why does a quartz watch need servicing?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable can speak more specifically as to why. But basically it needs to be looked at and cared for just like any other mechanical device made by man.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To maintain its water resistance, mainly. Unless it's something exotic, just swap out the battery when it's time let the movement run to failure.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable can speak more specifically as to why. But basically it needs to be looked at and cared for just like any other mechanical device made by man.
On something basic like a digital quartz watch...all you need to do is change the battery. However, a Rolex Oysterquartz is well beyond a disposable watch/movement. It has an 11 jewel movement, with a temperature compensator, and the pulse motor moves a pallet fork that turns the pallet wheel, which moves the second hand. Its these mechanical parts that distinguish it from ordinary quartz movements, and its also the cause of the loud ticking associated with the Oysterquartz models. Its interesting to note, that not only did Rolex once see their quartz watches as the future of Rolex, they were the most expensive models you could buy at one point. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, an all steel Oysterquartz cost several hundred dollars more than a Submariner Date, Sea-Dweller, GMT, Explorer 1 & 2 or a Daytona. They were also the most advanced watches they were producing, and were the only Rolex watches where the entire line up including the all steel models had saphire crystals, solid link bracelets, and they were more anti-magnetic than a Milgauss. As many of you will acrylic crystals were used on most steel Rolex watches through about the late 1980s, and solid link bracelets, those didn't appear on every steel Rolex until roughly the mid 2000s. Obviously, interests changed by the late 80s early 1990s and pricing of models eventually changed and Rolex began to focus again on its automatic watches. Largely ignored late in its production the OQ's now have a pretty regular cult following.

In the end an Oysterquartz doesn't need service as often as an oyster perpetual, but it still does eventually need the mechanical parts of its movement serviced. For more info on its movement check out this http://www.oysterquartz.net/the_5035_movement.htm

Below are a few quick pix of my ref 17000 Oysterquartz, purchased new just as they went out of production around 2003/4.

Last edited:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really need to start checking TWAT more often than once a day or every other day as so many good things get posted here and it's hard to catch up!

RogerP - enjoy that lovely piece! Thanks for posting pics!

Dino - happy AP birthday! May she continue to bring you joy and wonder.

Noodling around with my camera this morning and took this pic.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, gents. A few initial impressions on the Zenith:

1) As Dino mentioned earlier, the rose gold coloured hands and markers set off against the silver dial really float my aesthetic boat. And they make for a super-legible display - an increasingly important factor for me and my declining eyes.

2) The long hands - reaching right out to their respective registers - is another feature I like. "Hands too short" is a frequent deal-breaking issue for me.

3) Something that doesn't translate in pics - the soft satin sheen of this dial is really something special - almost like it is emitting a soft glow from within.

4) An already mentioned, this is one of the more successful renditions of the El Primero movement in a larger (42mm case). As we all know, this movement had its debut in 1969 - but what is less well known is that the MEN'S chronograph in which is was encased was all of 38mm in diameter. The hard points of the chronograph subdials cannot be changed, regardless of how big you make the case. Try to make them correspondingly larger, and they will overlap - a regrettable reality for a number of Zenith watches. The other solution is to remove one register and enlarge the remaining two - as with the Zenith Pilot chrono. In this watch, they managed to balance all thee subdials about as well as can be done.

5) I don't know who is making Zenith straps (I have heard Hermes, but don't know if this is so) but the quality is just outstanding. The rubber backed croc just reeks of quality and feels like it will last a good long time.

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5) I don't know who is making Zenith straps (I have heard Hermes, but don't know if this is so) but the quality is just outstanding. The rubber backed croc just reeks of quality and feels like it will last a good long time.

OoOoOoO this I must check out. A great move for sweaty guys like me, especially during the summer. Thanks for sharing!

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Frilly, what kind of camera are you screwing around with?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dino, most quartz wearers probably never bother to service a quartz watch. Really interesting information on the Oyster Quartz as well!
I've had my OQ since 2004, I bring it in to Rolex's NY service center every 2 years or so, they change the battery for free and according to them so far it hasn't needed anything. However, eventually it will need an actual service. Glad you enjoyed the info on the OQ, they are an interesting and important part of Rolex's history.
I really need to start checking TWAT more often than once a day or every other day as so many good things get posted here and it's hard to catch up!

Dino - happy AP birthday! May she continue to bring you joy and wonder.

Noodling around with my camera this morning and took this pic.

Hi Frills, thanks for the AP Bday wishes. I'm sure she will continue to put a smile on my face for many years.

The 3970P is a real stunner. Always fun to see pix.
Thanks for the comments, gents. A few initial impressions on the Zenith:

1) As Dino mentioned earlier, the rose gold coloured hands and markers set off against the silver dial really float my aesthetic boat. And they make for a super-legible display - an increasingly important factor for me and my declining eyes.

4) An already mentioned, this is one of the more successful renditions of the El Primero movement in a larger (42mm case). As we all know, this movement had its debut in 1969 - but what is less well known is that the MEN'S chronograph in which is was encased was all of 38mm in diameter. The hard points of the chronograph subdials cannot be changed, regardless of how big you make the case. Try to make them correspondingly larger, and they will overlap - a regrettable reality for a number of Zenith watches. The other solution is to remove one register and enlarge the remaining two - as with the Zenith Pilot chrono. In this watch, they managed to balance all thee subdials about as well as can be done.

I love the rose gold hands with silver dial and white metal case. The contrast of the hands and hour markers is warm and beautiful. Chrono sub dials and their placement/size does becomes a difficult issue when the movement was originally in a much smaller case. But overall they did a great job with your version. I think keeping the 3rd subdial over the 6 was a good choice. A friend of mine has a Zenith with El Primero movement with only 2 subdials (at 3 and 9) in a 42mm steel case, with white metal hands and a silver dial and his watch looks too baron and sterile. Yours looks just right especially with the splash of color from the rose markers and hands.

The rubber backed croc strap is a really nice idea. First company I saw using that was Blancpain, about 10-15 years ago. Not sure if they still do that, but its a great idea for warmer times of the year or for people living in very humid climates.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dino: The OysterQuartz is amazing both on the inside and on the 70s styled case- something Rolex seemed to have otherwise avoided. It is a great example of . . . something. I am not sure what the right word is but I like the way they have tried to couple their traditional mechanical overbuilding with "modern" electronics that in hindsight we know to be doomed to obsolescence (though not really true with something as simple as a watch movement). It reminds me of the old IBM computers or even, if you have ever seen photos, a nuclear reactor control room or a NASA facility. If you think about it, this is the reality of what steampunk pretends to. It is really quite cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads