The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Congrats my man, Im sure it's gonna be awesome judging by your track record

Mind if I take a guess?

Omega POC? (Titanium)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i was going to guess a breitling, but i think thats too easy of a guess.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

3. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Would have to say negatory here. Although the 3717 is a fine watch, not in the same bracket as the new Speedy.

Also, not sure but I don't think there's much love lost between RogerP and the modern day IWC's.. :D

5. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I was thinking Breitling too actually. Maybe the new Transocean

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on the new additions Roger and MZ! You guys will owe us some wrist shots.

7. onehotchili

onehotchili Senior member

Thanks Dino for the thoughtful response. I only found this forum maybe a year ago and really enjoy the insight of the folks here. My personal "watch journey" started maybe a couple of years ago. I've always enjoyed watches but seemed to spend my $$$ on other toys like bikes, skis, etc before getting a "serious" watch. I debated between modern vs vintage as a first real watch and eventually I did pick up a 4-line 14060m but really didn't connect with it. I then stumbled across my current 5513 which is my birth year (within a couple of months) and knew that was THE watch. It is far from a quality piece but I like it and it is my daily wearer for 80% of the time.... although I am definitely careful at times. That is why I am now getting the itch for another daily watch to split duties.... but one that I can truly wear in all conditions if necessary. I will definitely take some time at my "local" AD 45 mins away and see if the either the 116520 or 116000 connects with me. I might have to simply take a leap of faith with the 114270 because I doubt I will actually find one to fondle in person near me....
    Yup.... I've been here 11+ years and while the outdoor recreation is world class, it is far from being the mecca for horology. [​IMG]
    Frills - Like others have said on this forum.... you have a very impressive quiver of watches. And honestly a path I am likely to follow since I am also becoming fond of PPs. My wife actually despises my latest watch obsession but is slowly starting to come around. I think a SS Daytona would look good on her.... so maybe in the future. Actually I am in a pretty fortunate position in that my company I co-founded, has literally sky rocketed the last couple of years. We turned down a couple of acquisition offers last year. While there are no guarantees in life, I truly believe I am sitting on a "winning lottery" ticket which will come to fruition in the next 1-2 years.... at which point I could see pieces like the PP 5270p in my future. If that does happen.... I'll be coming to NYC so you can introduce me to your dealers [​IMG]. Anyhow I am in no rush.... and I think I might be leaning more towards the 114270 to satisfy my current itch and then next Spring the 116200 for a "b-day" present for the wife. Ha!
    Yeah I like to mix it up every other month or so. With a drawer fully of Natos and vintage leather straps... I feel like I have a new watch whenever I make the change!

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great story about not really connecting with the 14060M, and then stumbling across your 5513 and knowing it was "THE watch." When its the right watch, you just kind of know it. I think that is what you will find by trying a few pieces on at an AD or reputable vintage watch shop (provided there are some in your area). I'm sure you will make the right choice. Any of the ones you are considering are up to the tasks you will put them through. I guess its simply a matter of what you are looking for, and what you are comfortable with as a daily wearer.

I hope you will continue to visit us here and let us know how the journey for your next watch is going. I think my wife became more interested in my watch hobby when she realized that most of my watches are worth more than I paid for them. She has actually developed a keen eye and will let me know if she saw someone at a meeting wearing a nice watch. Good luck on your hunt for the next watch.

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Good guesses, but none correct.

rnguy - I'm not down on contemporary IWCs in any generalized sense. I just think their ETA /Sellita powered watches aren't a great value, and wish their extended power reserve watches kept better time. But there are many contemporary IWC watches I would happily call my own, including the terrific Yacht Club chrono. Which is also not what I'm actually getting.

10. in stitches

2 random guesses. cartier or GP chrono?

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

No and no. It is somewhat on the dressier side of the scale, as chronos go. Certainly dressier than the Speedy.

12. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

JLC Master Chronograph?

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Doubtful...I think that's more expensive than a Speedy...and I thought Roger mentioned its priced about the same as a Speedy.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

A reasonable guess (but wrong) - retail price of the new one is comparable to that of the Speedy 9300 - which is itself a good deal more than the regular Speedy hand-wind.

15. in stitches

but this is pre-owned, so that put a lot more in the hat no?

now i guess GO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.