1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yep, I agree. Even if a watch was in a safe for 5-7 years, for instance, I'd service it. Probably moreso than if it were used, actually.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks. [​IMG]

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Re: bespoke. Yup.

4. forex

forex Senior member

Anyone has a Rolex deepsea here? I want to get a diver and am drawn to Deepsea. Little concerned about weight though, I tried it and all but not sure if I will like it in the long run. As has been discussed, subs are too pedestrian so I don't want one :)

5. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thanks for the very detailed feedback, it makes very good sense. I have not really saved my watch in any way (IMO it doesn't make sense to buy an expensive watch if you can't wear it all the time), but then again I can't think of any recent event that should have caused the sudden loss of seconds. Anyway, I'll have too handle it in within a couple of months, and then hopefully it'll be accurate upon return (and for the next years to come). Again, thanks for the input!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  6. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

[​IMG]

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Have you thought about waiting for the Seadweller re-issue? It will be coming to ADs within the next couple of months.

1 person likes this.
  8. forex

forex Senior member

Not so interested in reissue of SD, not for that price anyways. I guess I already made up my mind on Deep Sea, just seeing if anyone can talk me out of it. It would be more of a weekend watch or for warm days when I just roll up my shirt sleeves.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

If your mind is made up then go for it. Personally, its one of my least favorite models available from Rolex. I would rather have the as you describe it pedestrian Sub or a new Sea-Dweller when its released. Not really, sure why you think the Deep-Sea is less pedestrian? I find it quite similar, just not as well designed as Subs.

As much as I like Rolex (I own several), I find the Deep-Sea to be very poorly balanced and poorly proportioned. I find it incredibly top heavy, and what is worse, at its gargantuan size, Rolex barely did anything about widening the bracelet so the bracelet looks puny relative to the case size. Its as though Rolex ran of of money when it came to completing the Deep-Sea's design and they simply grabbed an oyster bracelet off a much thinner and smaller Sub, and thought no one would notice. I also find that because its so top heavy, its just not that comfortable. IMHO with the exception of its movement, its simply about having an extra large Submariner.

But if that's your dream watch, go for it and enjoy.

2 people like this.
  10. forex

forex Senior member

I think that for every guy that thinks that it is top heavy, there is one that thinks that it is perfectly balanced. I wouldn't take any side but I compared it to some offerings from Omega, the recent Planet Oceans are gigantic and impractical. While I think that DSSD is a big watch, it is not as bad as some people make it to be. It surely is a fine piece of engineering and is definitely different from Sub. If nothing, then for the text in ring which I happen to like.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The issue with the DSSD isn't that its a big watch,...its that its a huge watch on a pathetically puny bracelet. It looks goofy. Its like seeing one of those steroid juiced guys at a gym with a gigantic body, but a small face and head. I'm not a fan of the Planet Ocean by any means, but it is better balanced and its bracelet is proportional to its watch case.

If the text ring has you sold on it...you should definitely buy this watch immediately!!! I can't think of any other watches with useless text rings...so it really has no competition.

12. no frills

no frills Senior member

I am quite enamored of my new Sub. But that don't mean I've lost any love for this one.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. no frills

no frills Senior member

forex, which "text in ring" are you referring to re: DSSD? The one that's present in my 114060 SubC ND too (common as Subs are and all that)?

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'm guessing he means the text saying "original gas escape valve / ring lock. " As that is the only text ring that a Sub does not possess.

15. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I find the Deepsea almost indistinguishable from the Sub in many ways. It's mostly just bigger, but also less good and refined as well. I feel Dino is right in his summation above. The Sub is the much better watch and the better buy I feel.

16. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

BEAUTIFUL watch...compliments

17. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Forex - as one of the very few DSSD on here (anyone?.. Anyone?..) I'll be happy to give my impressions. Keep in mind here in TWAT you won't find it gets much love so if you're looking for user reviews you should probably peruse one of the many Rolex forums. This is SF after all and well the DSSD is hardly stylish I must admit

The gripes about its size and bracelet are legitimate. I would've killed to have the bracelet be an extra 2 mm wider by the clasp. That being said it's still a wonderful bracelet and the glide lock is something I hope will one day become the standard. It's just amazing

I find it to be very comfortable on my wrist. It's heavy and thick but many of my other watches are as well. I don't find it nearly as top heavy as I'd have expected. It's actually extremely comfortable once you size the bracelet appropriately. I'll admit that I removed the divers extension to take advantage of the more flexible and curved regular bracelet links. (Sacrilege on a true diver!!).

The watch keeps amazingly accurate time and it's just an awesome timepiece. From your post I understand why you would want a DSSD. For me I preferred its size and weight over its 40 mm brothers. I have nothing bad to say about the Subs and SDs out there. They're classically proportioned and if you think you may one day tire of a big and thick watch then you should rethink your desire to get a DSSD. As others have stated the new SD coming out is probably a much better proportioned watch. I love my DSSD - I find it to be as very much Rolex as it happens to be unRolex. And there's plenty of room on the sandbox for everyone to get along. In the end it's your money and the watch needs to sing to you. As you know the DSSD ain't cheap and there are lots of options at this price point. What else are you considering?

1 person likes this.
  18. mimo

mimo Senior member

Of course I agree on the first point as mine is my "best" watch still, and certainly they are very cheap. I'm also not sure about that strap: yours has a much more interesting dial than mine, with the gold Arabic numbers, so I think perhaps less is more with the strap - I don't think it needs all that texture. The colour is nice, but perhaps something smooth and slick while still having some substance - cordovan?

Yes. All of those things. Unlike Nazi memorabilia, there is no sinister cause or political association represented here. It's just a curiosity, a tacky relic of an historical figure, that I did indeed post for amusement. I don't wear it - it sits with some other curios in my study. But it was also given to me with a hint of irony, as I was working for the British Government at the time. The former official in question was my friends' father, and we became quite close in his last years - a shared interest in politics and arguing! It seems it was always fate that ten years or more after I got this, I ended up working in Iraq myself - eventually for the post-Saddam Iraqi government too, during which time Saddam was hanged for his crimes.

There is something inherently funny about a man wanting his face printed on the face of a watch. That was the fundamental meaning of my post. :)

That is a very beautiful couple. If I ever burgle your house with someone else from TWAT, these are the two I want.

19. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Unlike Nazi memorabilia, there is no sinister cause or political association represented here.

Unless you are a Kurd or an indigenous marsh Arab.

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

There is no anti-Kurdish movement around the world that uses pictures of Saddam to represent an ideology, that's what I mean.

Though I'm starting to wish I had one with Mickey Mouse on instead.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.