The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

While others might think a Calatrava is "too plain" (it certainly has no complications), the 7119 (which is the 31mm version of the 36mm men's 5119) is really very nicely done. You've got to see it in person to appreciate the enamel-like dial, the exquisite hobnailed bezel - and unlike its predecessor the 3919 it has a delicious display back that shows the lovely manually wound cal 215. And on a bracelet it's just really lovely - especially for ladies.

So - you gonna get it for her?

2. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

+1.

I've had a few wobblers and haven't minded them one bit.

3. wurger

wurger Senior member

I will get used to it, haha, since I love the watch, even more reason to appreciate it.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

holy moly so many great rolex pics ya'll. to many to quote, but all fantastic!

great looking explorer.

thanks for teh kind words. i got lucky here with teh weather for a day. rare to have a sweater day in teh bmore summer.

thanks, newC! but the cape cod has not even arrived yet. i hope it makes it even more fresh looking.

fantastic news on the exam finishing and i look forward to seeing more of you here!

DOOOD!!! great news!!!

thanks, NS. appreciate that! the bezel is unreal in the sun, reflects the light beautifully.

GREAT patek. would love to have one of those in the stable one day.

thanks, mang!!! here is a full pic. :hide:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  5. wurger

wurger Senior member

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

The root beer (or bronze GMT as it was called at a number of ADs years ago), was never one of my favorite combinations for a GMT. However, with some time out of production, and not having seen one in a long time, its fun seeing one again and I've come to appreciate it more than I did years ago.
    Sorry Hayward, but it looks like sh*t. There's nothing rare or unusual about watches that have led a rough life. Why not buy one that's at least in reasonable cosmetic shape and then create your own memories and battle scars, rather than having some one else do it for you? Or in the alternative, buy a brand new one, tie it to the back you your car and drag down the street for a few miles. It will look the same pretty soon.
    It works for the ladies version...the men's version, I hate the lugs. Sadly, in the men's version the lugs are just cheaply soldered on, and easy to break off (it may be a classic case for them, but not a good design). I've been at a Patek AD when one showed up to get a lug soldered back on after the owner accidentally hit it against a doorway. The AD told us they've seen this several times and never to purchase a version with the soldered lugs. If I were buying a Calatrava, it would have to have a more solid lug that's more integrated into the case. However, as a ladies watch on a bracelet its really beautiful.
    Wow...Stitchy goes all GQ for us! Sweater weather in Bmore, this time of year...you must be too used to the 90+ degree weather and 95% humidity, and I'll guess the temps dropped down to an icey 82 [​IMG]. I lived in DC for 3 years...I don't know how you can wear a sweater in Bmore this time of year. I'm roasting to death just thinking about it. Great shoes...but the watch can't be seen in your GQ photo shoot!

8. in stitches

That would be my daughter. :) Very cute longines double pic by the way.
    Thanks, dino! It was actually a chilly 60° the morning that I wore that. I could not believe the temperature dropped that low in the middle of July in Baltimore. But you better believe I was going to take advantage of that LOL. Sorry that the watch didn't show up in the full pic, I wish it had. I just wanted to show frills the entirety of the outfit that he was complementing me on. :satisfied:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  9. no frills

no frills Senior member

And I'm glad you posted that pic! Were those G&G's you were sporting in that pic? Those aren't the new ones you ordered from Nick, were they? (Yes, as you know I lurk and surface every now and then in the G&G thread)... Looks great!

And yes, it got a bit cold in NYC this weekend too. Still, wore a shirt and shorts yesterday, so not GQ-ish like Stitchy. Had to put the three year old through her paces in a quick playground workout - go for the burn!

[​IMG]

Dino will note that I'm wearing my 114270 in this pic. Heh heh.

10. in stitches

thanks! lol @ me being GQ, you guys. they are GGs, but not the ones from nick. they are the arrans, a chukka boot. the shoes from nick are a modified st. james II. and they have not arrived yet. but soon!! great pic with your kid. very sweet.

11. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Agreed on all counts. 5227 for me please.

12. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

I miss the playground days. Good times.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Nice to see the 114270 getting a workout and wrist time, since it sounds like now the Daytona is getting lots of wrist time from Mrs. Frills! Maybe you need a Sub LV to make up for the Daytona's migration to your wife's watch rotation. In addition, it would give you an excuse to add some green to you wardrobe!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  14. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Came across this in the metal on the wrist for the first time tonight.

[​IMG]

Oh, mama!

15. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I'm a little rusty with the new models. Is that the 1815 Chronograph? It is a beauty!!

Dang I just realized I haven't post in this thread in awhile. It's always good to see a healthy Rolex discussion. As much I love my GMT IIc, I can really see myself adding a 1675 pretty soon.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.