The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Awesome, Congrats Sir!!!!!

2. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Hello there.

The green Bezel and Maxi Dial are just perfect if you ask me.[​IMG]

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Me too, thank you sir.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks, guys! much appreciated. as soon as get that cape cod cloth (shipped today from amazon), i will try and clean it up some more, and then bust out the DSLR for some nitty gritty pics to share. so far all i did was disassemble it, steam off the parts, and polish it with a standard polishing rag we have at the store.
    [​IMG]
    trip d and dino - great looking LVs :slayer:

5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thank you sir.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

What do you TWAT dwellers think of Rolex's Cellini line? I never see it discussed.

7. in stitches

i liek some, i disliek others. i absolutely fell in love with some of the reissues of the prince models with the exhibition back, a few years ago, but when i tried them on it was laughable how feminine it looked on my wrist. too bad.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Thanks Stitchy!
    Not a fan of them. For what they cost there are true dress watches from other manufacturers that I would prefer to own. Just like Stitchy mentioned, I too was curious to see their Prince line of watches when they released them. But upon seeing them in person I was very disappointed. Way too garish, not classic like the originals, and far too feminine.

9. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

One of the things Rolex does well is the dial, and I think that is someplace the Cellini watches I have seen look good. The designs themselves are not so impressive though some models are OK. What I was curious about is whether Rolex finishes the movement to the same standards as the other top watchmakers. I know they don't in their regular line, which is ok since I think of those as basically sports models (even the DJs) and you are basically buying for the robustness of the movement and the solid case design. But for the Cellinis to compete in the dress space, I would think they would need to do better on the movements. I don't know if they do.

That said, who buys them? I have never seen a Cellini on anyone's wrist.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Hahaha. Although that is only a logical comparison if months all came in multiples of 31, and more that one day in the month was commonly referred to by the same number. Dopey may well be a pedant, but his logic is impeccable. :)

And nor should you, Bromo Sapien. I liked it when I saw the early pics, I liked it more when I looked it up, and I love it on the wrist. It looks awesome on the fly; I'm delighted for you.
    Warning: likely ignorance ahead.

If I might chip in a belated two penn'rth: I agree totally on the Tudor; although a bum like me would be humbled with gratitude to receive one, a guy with two Rolexes already is going to be hard pushed to look suitably excited. Like a guy with two loaded Mercedes trying to look happy that his wife got him a Skoda. Whether it's nice or not is almost immaterial; it's a step down in the same thing.

BUT, if you're going that far up in budget, what about the Explorer (1)? It's just as tough as the Milgauss (Gauss rating notwithstanding), it's a nice size at 39mm for someone used to 40mm watches, and the lack of bezel and simplicity of design is both as practical as the Milgauss, and more versatile/dressy if needed than either of your options, or either of his existing watches. What's more, it doesn't have a lightning second hand - possibly a little tacky/frivolous in an older man's eyes - and even more impressively, Frilly has one. And it's a touch cheaper I think.

As for the Explorer II, I guess you know he likes the style because he already chose two sporty Rolexes with a bezel. But apart from the practicalities of the bezel, maybe there's too much of a good thing? Something that little more discreet and clean might be nice as an alternative that he doesn't already have.

If non-Rolex is still an option, I have to say from IWC I'd be hankering after a Portuguese chronograph myself - within budget, on a strap for variety, and he hasn't got a chrono. And I just think it's pretty. But there are a million options in that price range as mentioned: any number of Speedies and alternatives already mentioned, or if you want to keep the budget down while keeping some integrity, maybe go German: something completely different but with individual/iconic design, like a Sinn if you wanted a pilot watch, or a Nomos Zurich is my personal $3k pin-up.

However, I've a feeling you've reached a place in your mind where it has to be a Rolex. And I think, as a 41 year old man, that even though I like the Milgauss, the Explorer 1 is a little more stylish and versatile for a man of substance. But that's maybe just me.

12. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

The 16570 is excellent, the new one is meh IMHO. Maybe that explains the lack of explorer love...

13. in stitches

flip flopping the order here:

the cellini - my boss has one, but almost always wears a steel daytona. his is a round-ish face, gold model, on brown strap. its a nice size and actually a pretty watch. but as dino said, for a gold, thin dress watch, there are many others id lean towards first. though he did not exactly buy it. the store bought it from a customer, probably very cheap, and as an owner, he just kept it.

the movements - the prince movement was very pretty when i saw it, though it was a small window to a small movement. the regular models are not embellished at all like the high end stuff we love to ogle, but pound for pound, imo it is one of the best movements out there. the technology is quite advanced, the reliability is tops, and the QC is tops. its truly a fantastic movement from what i have read about it, and my experience owning them.

so, as far as quality, i think they finish their movements very similarly to top brands, but not as far as beauty and embellishing goes.

:inlove: thank you kindly, hombre.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Mimo...I liked your disclaimer...it made me laugh.

Just a quick note...his Dad has a VC Chronograph...so he does have a chronograph.

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I have little else to contribute to this thread, for now - glad I can entertain in some way!

There are not many lovelier things to have in one's life than a VC chronograph, I imagine...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.