The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurger

wurger Senior member

touche, Dopey, I thought they are just called date displays, but upon searching, the term date function is used... and I agree with you, they don't function at all in attempt to calculate the correct date in the standard date display.

2. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I am surprised you allow yourself to use an hour counter that only works for half the day surely a watch like the Longines Twenty-Four Hours would be the only one for you.

Except it has a day counter.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

welp, starting goodfellas at 11:30 certainly didnt help things either. but its so good i could not resist.
    --

looks like the milgaus is the frontrunner here, as i called it. :bigstar:

4. in stitches

i just couldnt resist.....

[​IMG]

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a cool watch and the red makes it even cooler.
    So . . . what do you think your percentage of wear is going to be once the newness wears off? Between the JLC, Panie and this (am I missing anything), how often do you think each will get worn?

6. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Thanks to all of you guys who are helping with my decision, Stitchy, RogerP, Dino, No Frills, RNGuy, Wurger -- this type of thoughtfulness and willingness to spend time advising others makes this thread an absolute joy.

And you guys nailed it on the head regarding why I am entertaining the thought of stretching my budget for a Rolex -- my dad (with that uniquely Southern European immigrant mindset) won't really appreciate the Tudor for its own history and is a bit of a watch snob brand-wise, which makes me shy away slightly from the IWC. He likes what he likes.

What does surprise me is that more folks aren't into the Explorer II. I thought that would get a lot of love from you guys. I find that really interesting, as I really like the Explorer. It's a big bold watch and although for me personally, it wouldn't be my top choice, it is appealing and makes a statement.

I have a ton to think about. I will definitely keep you guys posted.

Also, I have a surprise wedding watch gift from my wife-to-be that I will unveil post-honeymoon (we worked on picking it out together with some great advice from Dino). I am so excited to finally get to wear it.

7. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Stitches, that is spectacular and fits a great niche in your collection. Great get!! :slayer:

8. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

well done!

but, why the sweater? I know I'm a few miles south of you, but it's still 80+ degrees here (beautiful actually for this area this time of year!)

im guessing your office is a freezer?

9. wurger

wurger Senior member

Nice watch!

10. in stitches

why thanks, dopey!

that is a splendid question, and i am having a hard time figuring out the answer myself. its actually the main reason i considered not kopping because id hate to end up with a watch just sitting. i already have that in my B&M capeland that my wife got me when we got engaged. i love the watch, but i just dont really wear it much.

what i can say i think is, that for the summer, the rolex will probably get most of the wrist time when i am wearing a more casual outfit because i much prefer a metal bracelet in the summer. doesnt get ruined by sweat and a quick rinse and dry and you are good to go. and in the winter, the panny will probably get more love with the casual fits. the JLC will remain the year round watch for my my more dressy days. that is how i would guess it will play out, but only time will tell. herp derp.

also, i am a bit lazy, and often, once i have a watch on, i forgo swapping it out because it means taking one out of the box and putting another away. yes. i am that lazy.

THANKS!
    ---

regarding your point about the ExII v the milgauss. sure, we all love the ExII, but i think for your circumstance people are saying milgauss is better suited. as for me, i love the milgauss far more than the ExII. one of my fave rolexes.

11. in stitches

thanks, man!!

pic is from yesterday. was about 60 degrees when i left the house in the AM, so i threw on a sweater. my office is a freezer tho, but that is because i like it that way. : )

thanks!!

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

after having a shower and some more thought, I think I have to retract this comment of mine about the use of the term date function.

I guess there are so many things that we take for granted with date functions on mechanical watches today that the achievements when it was first introduced and its various improvements are forgotten.

It was a great introduction back in 1945 when Rolex introduced Datejust, a function that automatically changed the date when the time moves to the next day, it's an automatic function.

In 1955, instantaneous date change was introduced by Rolex, whereas before, the date would begin to change hours before its midnight rendezvous. Some watches today still don't have this function.

In the late 70s, quick set date was introduced; before that, you have to rotate the hands over the 24hr span to advance the date, which can mean many rotations if it's a few dates away.

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

And yeah, a big thank you to everyone that helped me before the purchase of the Longines Retrograde, plus the comments and appreciation I got after the purchase and wearing. SF FTW :slayer:

14. in stitches

:nodding:

but ballers like dopey dont seem to appreciate this, and refer to it as bad engineering. for shame.

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yep. It's a great, well-designed day counter and has many uses. One awesome feature would be if, for example, you have a watch with a seven day reserve but no power indicator; you could wind it and then set your day counter to 31 and watch it count to seven days and you will know when your watch will run down. Or if you are going on a ten day trip and want to know when to catch your return flight - simply set your day counter and you will know when to go to the airport. When you order a new Annual Calendar watch and the dealer tells you it will be in in two to three weeks . . . Perfect. Set your day counter and watch the days go by until it is ready for pickup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.