The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

1) The Black Bay is polarizing - some love the striking colour combinations (me) - others definitely don't dig it at all. If you don't know where your Dad stands, I'd pass on that one.

2) A safe choice and a lovely pilots watch. I don't find that IWC's ETA / Sellita-powered watches present a compelling value equation (i.e., you can get comparable aesthetics and overall quality for a good deal less elsewhere). Then again, it's a gift, so value for money isn't likely going to impact how well it is received.

3) He's a Rolex man. He owns several for a reason - he likes the brand and likes the product. If you can swing it, this would be the way to go.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Milgauss gets my vote!

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

The Milgauss gets my vote as well.

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Fabulous, very nice indeed.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

CHRK33 - I would skip the Tudor. Nice watch, but not being able to return it if he isn't in love with it would be an issue for me. Not to mention, I know a few older guys that own Rolex watches, and right or wrong...they look at a Tudor as a half a Rolex. Not sure if that's how your Dad would feel about it, and I'm sure he would be happy you got him something, but if he is really a Rolex guy this might not be the best choice. I'd either go with something that is not Rolex related at all or a Rolex.

I like the idea of the IWC, whether as Roger suggest there is value in it, using a ETA or Sellita movement is something only you can decide. However, its a nice gift and stays within your budget, and you never know what unexpected expenses newly weds will encounter.

If considering an Explorer 2 or a Milgauss for someone working in a restaurant, I say go for the Milgauss. The Ex2 can handle the same abuse, but the few guy I know that have owned restaurants really bang the hell out of their watches. When the Milgauss goes in for service they will be able to easily polish and clean up the entire watch, including the smooth bezel. The Ex2's engraved and brushed finish bezel, will get a ton of scratches in a kitchen, possibly dinged, and there is nothing that can really be done to fix it short of replacing the actual bezel. For someone that isn't too rough with their watches an Ex2 would be a fine choice...as an occasional scratch isn't going to matter. But the stuff that happens in a busy restaurant or kitchen would make me choose the Milgauss.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

6. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Well said Wurger!

Agree with RP and Dino here. I think the Tudor is nice, but as a Rolex guy especially, there's the threat that Tudor is seen as the bargain Rolex (right or wrong...). Coupled with the fact that it'd be difficult/impossible to return and the risk seems too great here IMO.

The IWC is a handsome watch, and I'm sure would make a wonderful gift. At a VERY generous discount it becomes appealing. As others have said, not the best value..

A Milgauss would be an amazing gift. Make sure it's within your budget (I know it's a gift for dad but still..), and make sure he won't miss the date.. :smarmy:

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

CHRK33

While the politically correct thing to say is that the thought matters the most.

But knowing your Dad is a Rolex person, for a very good reason I also suspect, would the Tutor or IWC get much wrist time?

What I am trying to say, and of course if budget allows, would the reason for your dad to wear the watch:

1. wears the watch because his caring son got it for him

2. loves the watch and also his caring son got it for him

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Wearing this one today.
    [​IMG]

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^Very nice. Love the splash of colour.

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Of course. I agree that this is just a matter of opinion and we have different values so different things bother us in different ways. I am certainly not suggesting that you stop using the day counter as a proxy for a date function if that is useful to you. I just don't like the idea that a wheel that can only keep blindly counting to 31 is considered a date function when the actual function would require it to variably count to 28, 30 and 31 in normal usage. To me, it is a kind of a cheap engineering patch for a problem that is more complicated. Others could see it as a simple, cost-efficient, elegant solution that get the job done most of the time in a way that is simple for users to correct. That is fine with me. I just wanted to explain why it bugs me and I don't want them on my watches if I can avoid it. But it's not like I want them banned or think others should avoid them.

Now, it is true that I would like to see them called day counters, since that is what they are, rather than date functions, which they really aren't. But I don't expect that will happen.

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

touche, Dopey, I thought they are just called date displays, but upon searching, the term date function is used... and I agree with you, they don't function at all in attempt to calculate the correct date in the standard date display.

12. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I am surprised you allow yourself to use an hour counter that only works for half the day surely a watch like the Longines Twenty-Four Hours would be the only one for you.

Except it has a day counter.

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

welp, starting goodfellas at 11:30 certainly didnt help things either. but its so good i could not resist.
    --

looks like the milgaus is the frontrunner here, as i called it. :bigstar:

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i just couldnt resist.....

[​IMG]

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's a cool watch and the red makes it even cooler.
    So . . . what do you think your percentage of wear is going to be once the newness wears off? Between the JLC, Panie and this (am I missing anything), how often do you think each will get worn?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.