1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

This is great.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1

Hahahaha! Tempted many a time just by going to this darn thread. Glad to return the favor!

Hahaha guess so! Or more like "OMG let's get that shot before the light fades, who cares about setting the time...!"

I wanted to see if any of my TWAT brethren would catch the fakery and the poser-hood! You didn't disappoint!

NORMCORE!!! Guess it is, huh?

Way too common these days, dddrees. Also, you better get rid of those Edward Green Galways because, well, everyone on SF has them.

3. cats33cats

cats33cats Well-Known Member

Thanks! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

desk diving with my SubC

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Drat, I'll just have start working harder to chose more things that no one likes even if that includes myself. LOL

6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

No! I have told you enough times.

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

You know, I have to say, I do not really care for it. Aesthetically, AP dress watches do very little for me. I have no clue why, although I certainly wish it was not the case. Additionally, it kind of gives me the same feeling as my Master Control, which is no longer with me.

I also kind of want a manual wind dress watch. Although I have no qualms with automatic watches at a certain price-point (i.e., my JLC), I generally have a preference for manual wind watches. I find them more pure and more convenient, especially for a person who rotates watches with frequency.

With regards to the AP that you linked, I think I would have to see it in person to more intelligently form an opinion on it.

Is this it?

[​IMG]

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I just cancelled my Galway order because I went through the EG thread and saw way too many.

9. academe

academe Senior member

Yes; that's the one. I understand that not all watches really appeal, even if - objectively - you might appreciate them. For example, the FP Journes don't really do it for me, nor do PP (time-only) Calatravas or Laurent Ferrier watches, though I understand how well crafted they are. The Jules Audemars self-winding watches really have to been seen in person to be appreciated. Even then, they just might not resonate.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Smart move. Maybe they'll eventually become so disliked because they are so popular that we may eventually be able to like them again because they'll become so rare. LOL

11. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Oh of course!!! I'm sure I could find some purpose for those ultra common items...maybe use the papers as coaster for drinks, or as something to put my shoes on to dry when I come in from the rain. And the box, if I get rid of the inner stuff, maybe I can use it to store gum or shoe polish [​IMG]

12. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Good thinking. Maybe I should complete my order in case EG raises the prices when they become super rare and coveted.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

See now your thinking. But please remember to tell everyone in the meantime, how buying EG Galways are a HUGE MISTAKE!!! Way too popular, bad bad move.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Now why didn't I think of that?? Doh!!!

You know I might just have a use for this stuff after all. LOL

15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

That one actually looks quite lovely, although I would have to see it in person. Next year's New York tire-kicking will be much more purposeful. And that is very funny! Journe, time-only PP, and Laurent Ferrier all do it for me. In fact, I think that LF may be my favorite--personally, I think they are spectacular (if a little large--I would have to see it on the wrist). Before I make any rash decisions, I will be sure to shop around. There is no point in rushing such a large purchase!

1 person likes this.
  16. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I'm the same way with AP dress watches, they really do nothing for me. PP time only are hit or miss for me. VC runs away with it in this category as far as the big 3 go.

17. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Lange!

1 person likes this.
  18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

thats a shame. some of the AP thin dress watches in gold are my fave dress watches out there.

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I agree. That first AP that was posted was a 2 hander and it was gorgeous!

1 person likes this.
  20. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

Of course the ones to buy are the 0123678 model produced in 1992 with a 1¼ inch heel and purple thread. They only made 56 of them and I could sell you a pair for £9,500. Rarity is everything.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.