The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

It wears a bit bigger than the older version Sub, but about the same as the current version Sub or GMT. But the thing that really bugged me about the SD was the hump on the back. I found this a bit uncomfortable.

2. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

A question about servicing , which I've done my best to avoid until now. Just bought a Lemania/Elvstrom regatta watch, just like the one that fell overboard 20 years ago. (Price has been adjusted for inflation, sadly.) It appears to be NOS, and works fine but makes a bit of unexpected noise when being wound. Is this necessarily a problem, and if so are there shops you'd trust to pull it apart and put it back in a water-tight sort of way?

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Some great posts today guys! Congrats to both Wurger and Stitchy. I really enjoyed the review Wurger. I will have to look over everything more intently later. The thread has not been this active with new pieces in a little while!

And Frills. Just spectacular collection.

I do have a question though. Do you find that with your acquisition of your Patek perp-cal chronos, that your perpetual calendars have been rendered... obsolete? Or is there enough love in your heart for all of them? Personally, I have always been challenged by that concept. I am more of a single love kind of guy.

4. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

That is sexxxxxxy

5. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

My 3714 just back from major Service
    I have worn this pretty much everyday for the last 7 years and the case polish job they did was amazing.
    Delivered 3 weeks early and the SA also threw in a couple of Baseball Caps.
    The NYC Boutique are a super professional outfit.
    I have now had two pieces serviced via them with no issues (preferable to shipping to Fort Worth myself).....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks! just a heads up, i dont think the wrist shots will be as forthcoming as i had hoped. while the watch is in excellent condition, there are more lines/slight scratches and swirlies to the high polish areas of the steel than i had first realized. i ordered a cape cod cloth and when it arrives i will try and clean it up real nice. then we can has pics! apologies for all the delays. :(

solid question you point out there regarding owning both annual and perpetual calendars. while from a utilitarian standpoint, the perp obviously covers everything the annual does, and more, from an aesthetic standpoint, the models are certainly different, and lend to very different looks. most strikingly that the perps are far busier on the dials that annuals tend to be, as well as they are usually ticker cased watches if my memory serves me.

i mean, if a person can enjoy multiple perp cals just for aesthetic variation, there is certainly room for annuals too. if i were a collector, there are defo some annual calendars that i would want for their looks even if i had perps lines out the wazoo.

just my opinion. YMMV.

looks like new. what an awesome feeling right? enjoy it!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Likey very much. Great looking watch. Personally I'd wear it on a nice croc strap instead of the mesh. Hear nothing but great things about that B1 movement as well. Keep us posted my man

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Taking a cape cod cloth to it eh? That has always scared me!

Maybe I will pick one up to touch up my Mako. My MUT Moon is back at the mothership, as an aside. So far, JLC customer service has been nothing short of divine.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

According to my references old synthetic saphire crystal SDs are between 14.6 and 15mm, and Subs of the same period were between 12.8 and 13mm depending on the reference. So there is definitely a thickness difference of about 1.5 to 2 mm.
    Stitchy, in your excitement about your new watch...I think you misread Nuke's question. It was directed toward Frills and asked about Perpetual Calendars vs. Perpetual Calendar Chronographs. Frills doesn't own an Annual Calendar (at least not that I'm aware of).

Personally, I don't care for annual calendars. Yes, less expensive and allows more people to get close to owning a "Perpetual Calendar"...but to me go big or go home! If I can't afford the real deal, I don't want a near imitator. I know not everyone will like that answer, but that's where I stand on that issue. YMMV.

If one considers Perpetual Calendars vs. Perpetual Calendar Chronograph, at least the ones Frills has there is enough diversity to like each of them (Although the 3970 is the same, just in diff metals). With the Perpetual Calendars he has he gets an automatic movement, classic design with the 3940, the tonneau case gives its sibling a completely different feel...and the 3970s cover all the bases...and gives one some additional personal time winding the crown to get its day started with your own.

I think Nuke's question was interesting...but if he truly is a 1 watch love kind of guy...I would think that would necessitate his always liquidating and trading, and not actually building a collection. It could be financially more sound and better for ones wallet, provided each new watch does not become significantly more expensive requiring one to continue to add funds to the purchase. It would also make sure one gets their money's worth when it comes to wrist time. However, it doesn't leave room for versatility, such as a pure sports watch or a pure dress watch. Rather one has to find a jack of all trades. Some watches can straddle that line well, but still there are times a really dress watch is the best choice and times a very rugged sports watch makes the most sense.

10. in stitches

i have some polishing cloths, but never used a cape cod. derek said he uses them and they make his watches look like new. i have seen his watches, and they look like new. so ill gently give it a try on some of the high polish areas to clean them up.

really happy that JLC is coming through for you. always makes me smile to hear more good things about my beloved JLC.

11. in stitches

opps, yeah, my speed reading made me look the fool there. :embar:

my answer stays the same though. just visa versa. while the perp cal chrono is function wise the same and more than a perp cal, there are enough model variations that would warrant both imo.

as to your point on annual calendars, im afraid i dont see it that way. for example, JLC and blancpain both make beautiful annual calendars that imo have nothing to do with a perp cal, and are in no way failing to go big. they are wonderful watches that provide the day, date and month, and as a bonus they provide the convenience of once yearly only adjusting.

now, there are certainly annuals that look like a poor mans perpetual, but i find those are in general the ones that are all sub dials, like many of the PP annual calendars. those do usually fall flat for me, and do seem to be almost what they want to be but not quite. however, the ones that use windows and arrows are often really nice and instead of a poor mans perp, they are more like a rich mans day date.

just my opinion as a poor man.  

agree with this for sure. and i think most one watch guys, who are truly watch guys, end up going from one to the next as their one watch. rare for a watch lover to have a one watch and truly stick to it.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  12. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Funny . . . that is how I feel about date mechanisms generally. They don't really work and having to adust them at the end of every other month is proof. You wouldn't think the time keeping mechanism of a watch worked if it was off by an hour every other day and you had to adjust it yourself. Same with a date mechanism that doesn't know how many days there are in a month.
    So are you o.k. with ordinary 31 day date wheels?

13. wurger

wurger Senior member

Congraz Stitchy, waiting for a photo gallery or a review! haha

14. wurger

wurger Senior member

Wurger Congrats!!! That's a beauty. Retrogrades are very cool. I'm sure you will really enjoy it. That is a really thick watch, but often times when there are lots of complications a watch does get quite thick. I don't believe your watch would qualify as a grand complication. Granted it has several functions, but my understanding was that grand complications are a particular category of watches that combine some very difficult to make complications. Watches that are grand complications tend to combine Chronograph or Spit Second Chronographs, with Perpetual Calendars, Minute Repeaters, (maybe Equation of Time), and any combination of those functions. If you check wiki, they state it must have at least 1 item from a chart they have with timing complications (chronographs of some sort), astronomical complications ( perpetual calendar, equation of time, moon phase etc), and a striking complication (minute repeater, alarm etc). So if going by their definition, your watch is missing a chronograph and chiming device of some sort. I don't know that it necessarily needs a complication from all three categories, however all of the complications on yours fall under 1 category. In the end you bought a watch you really like, its very handsome and your will enjoy it so that's what really matters. [/quote] Thanks Dino, yeah, I read up on the wiki and Europa star article, very informative. I absolutely love this watch, and will take it for what it is! Can anyone answer why having external pushers compare to inserted pushers cost more? Does that complicates the movement?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  15. in stitches

im totally cool with a regular date function. i use it multiple times each day and find it far more convenient than having to find and grab my phone and press the home key to see the date. having to change it once a month, or when i switch watches is no biggie.

i actually enjoy setting and tinkering with my watches. part of the enjoyment for me is doing that, and feeling how smoothly and nicely the adjustments are and feeling like i am using the tool part of the watch, not just the jewelry part. and bye the by, anyone who thinks luxury watches are not jewelry is only fooling them-self

thanks, but dont hold your breath, might be a week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.