The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

Yes, I have seen a BLNR selling for $9,500 even if Hodinkee reported that retail will be under $9,000. Rarity and all that fun stuff (for now).

+1.

Wearing this today.

[​IMG]

Not bad for a 46 year old watch, 'no? Darn lack of quick-set date means this is on a winder.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

frills - very nice. did not know you had that in the stable. whats your full collection consist of these days? if i may be so bold.

3. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

There was a BLNR for sale on the rolexforums.com for $9,200 if I'm not mistaken. Sold very quickly...

4. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

You trying to melt the internet, stitchy? He's got his Patek, another Patek, and then his other, other Patek....

rnguy: nice Pilot...enjoy your day off.

Re: Breitling, a guy in the office has the time-only version of that Transocean model....he's got the silver dial, with a polished mesh bracelet. Pretty decent as far as a simple, versatile 3-hander. Not really lust-worthy, at least for me, but it looks good on his wrist.

Is it really all the Bentley/ co-branded stuff that keeps Breitling from getting more love around here? You just don't see very many of them in the TWAT thread. I'd say for their legitimate aviation heritage and their overall brand exposure (read: print ads, billboards, ambassadors like Travolta, Beckham, etc) they are quite under-represented.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

5. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Thank you!

6. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

A while ago while bored in an airport, I tried on a few Rolexes to pass the time (and the equally bored assistants didn't seem to mind my saying so, at 4am...). Apart from the nice ladies from Sri Lanka and the Philippines, it was the Sub and the DSSD that stuck in my mind. Generally speaking, I do tend towards "more is more" in my natural instincts. I totally get the Panerai thing, having tried them recently. And I retain a guilty and foolish lust for the unnecessarily over-sized Omega Planet Ocean Ti. Although I'm trying to learn moderation with age, the "it's kind of a Sub, but with way more numbers" factor, made me ask to try the DSSD first.

Until Dino pointed out the proportions of the strap recently, I didn't really get what was wrong with it, but he's right: I've nothing against bigger watches in principle, especially when they're as purposeful and functional as this one. But it is a horribly proportioned beast. It just didn't sit right. So I tried the Sub, and almost to my disappointment, the slightly more modest, rather cheaper, less dick-waving watch looked absolutely peachy. It just sits so nicely, the proportions are so iconic and balanced, and it gives a great feeling of robust presence while remaining one with the wrist. The DSSD feels like it's hanging off you like a drunk on the upper deck of a bus.

The no date Sub is, to my untutored eye, simply a perfect thing. In my distant wish list, it is merely one of many options, possibles or improbables to juggle. But in itself, I feel certain that there simply is nothing wrong with the Rolex Submariner. Now an older SD, the same sort of size...that might be competition. But it's hard to look past that particular "fungus" and say anything else would be inherently "better", at least unless you really were a professional diver. In which case the Omega Ploprof is both more tool-like and more orange. For mortals, the Sub seems like design perfection, and even though I know nothing, I'm sure I'm right. :)

7. in stitches

that is my lifes goal.

not sure why the dont get a ton of love here, but i think they have a great heritage, and did, and still do make, some excellent watches. presumably you are correct, and their monster and uber blingy watches are what hurts them in the TWAT.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Never pay over list for a GMT. Great watch, but once supply catches up with demand they will be selling at list all day long! I've seen this craze where people run out and pay over list to be the first to get a steel and platinum yachtys, an Explorer 114270, the 42mm Explorer 2s etc. Once supply catches up, frequently the people that paid over list take a bath unless they flipped it to another sucker very quickly, or unless they keep it a very long time. The only watch they made that had a long standing history of selling for over list (for nearly 2 decades) was the SS Daytona. No matter what the hype was about any Rolex I wanted, I always eventually found them available new from an AD without paying over list.

I have never been a Breitling guy. A college buddy has 2 or 3 Breitlings, in addition to other brands. I always thought the designs, even several of the non-Bentley pieces were too blingy, with too many polished shiny surfaces, too busy looking compared to other chronographs, and for many years they were all Valjoux 7750 or ETA movements (which are fine, but not unusual).

However, I have to admit that for a simple time only watch sport watch, I do think the Transocean is a very good option. Classic sports watch design, not at all blingy, and reasonably priced.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You get it !!! For me the problem isn't that the DSSD is a big watch. I understand that many people like and want bigger watches. In general, they aren't my thing, but if its done well it can be a great watch. The problem is the DSSD is so poorly proportioned that it doesn't feel good because its so top heavy, nor does look good when its on someone's wrist. When I see a guy wearing one I always feel like he has this over engineered hockey puck watch case with a sad, emaciated bracelet. ! Its like they spent all of their R&D money on the watch case and then ran out of money when it came to the bracelet.

I'll take a Sub or GMT any day over a DSSD. They are much more wearable, have better proportions, and look like a well thought out complete design.

10. in stitches

when i was at wempe the list price on the blue/black GMT was 8950. even with MDs relatively low 6% sales tax that is $9,487.00. assuming the aforementioned prices included tax, the full price should be well north of 9k, and i cant imagine seeing any discounts from ADs on a new desirable model where the current demand exceeds the available supply. especially when the official rule from rolex is no discounting at all on all steel models.

11. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Spot on. I don't mind big watches at all - big sports watches anyway - but the DSSD just seems like a poorly proportioned mess. And then there's the (read somewhere on the internet) 120 characters of mostly superfluous and self-congratulatory text plastered all over the dial. I know most Rolex models suffer from this to some extent, but this one seems the worst offender by a good measure.

The Ploprof is one freaking cool watch. Regrattably, I am not sufficiently cool enough to pull it off.

That no-date Sub.... I tell ya, I better stop visiting the AD or the inevitable will happen.

12. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

You'll appreciate the date when yer old blind and cranky...

[​IMG]

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

Have you ever tried putting together a collage of seven pictures? Not very easy. But maybe I am not very creative.

Aside from the 1967 DJ I posted, here's a "family pic."

[​IMG]

"Just" seven pieces but boy am I happy and satiated. I still look around at other pieces but haven't felt that burning urge to just chase one down. Dino will probably be disappointed but I've held off on getting that double red Sub. However, I am meeting with my dealer tomorrow as a family member wants me to look at a piece she's interested in getting, and I did ask him to bring that double red Sub/SD again just so I can look at it one more time....... [​IMG]

I would consider the 116520 white dial Daytona to be part of this family - except the missus has co-opted it. To "get back at her" I started wearing that 36mm blue dial DJ, which was the first piece I bought for her. Why do l have this sinking feeling that she came out ahead in that exchange, especially since she can take back that DJ anytime she wants anyway........
    Nice intro and write-up overall. Really have to try these things before you're able to make any kind of judgment call regarding aesthetics, "general feel," etc.
    Absolutely agree.

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The good thing about tax is I will buy from a store here in Nashville and they usually throw in free shipping out of state so I save on god awful 9.25% sales tax in Tennessee. Now the LV is tickling my fancy

15. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I think the BLNR went for over list for maybe 1 month tops because I am now seeing them for sale on forums for retail and actually just an hour ago I was at the local AD and they had one not on display but available for sale. Tried it on... stunning piece. Not worth the premium over the LN, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.