The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Not a fan of the DSSD in photos or in person. It's just too un-Rolex with the excessive depth rating, at least for actually wearing. The 16600 is great, as are all Sea-Dwellers. I'd consider the 116610 and 114060 as well, as they offer all the latest and greatest stuff in a more wearable and better-looking package than the 3900-metre-rated overkill.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

I would generally concur with this. However, Charlize Theron looks great with the DSSD IMHO.

[​IMG]

It should also be noted, however, that most items will probably look phenomenal when Charlize wears them. Like, if Charlize wears a bikini, the bikini will look fantastic. But if I wear the same bikini, I will look like sh*t.

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

Reference is 3511.80

4. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I like the look of the superocean heritage. Strangely their presence seems to elude most as I see them for sale on the forums quite a bit. I wonder why they don't impress?

Love this transocean though.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=6565699&rid=0#msg_6565699

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1

I really like Rolex watches, but to be honest I despise the DSSD. I've owned Subs, and my father owned a 16600 for several years. Its a grotesque joke so that they can be part of the we oversized watch club. IMHO, I found it very poorly proportioned. The head is far too top heavy, and the bracelet is too narrow for the new case size. Although the bracelet is new, from a top downward view or from the side, to me it looks so narrow it makes me feel like they kept the old size bracelet for this new wider case (although I know its not true). To me they made a mess of the Sea-Dweller with the 116600, and I'd never buy one. I'd much rather have a vintage SD, Sub, or maybe a current Sub Date or non-Date Sub...but the DSSD...no thanks. Also back in 2009 my Father who has had several Rolex watches Ex2, Sub, SD, GMTs, and Daytonas...tried one on and walked out the door with a SS Daytona instead. He thought the DSSD was over priced, and much like I said was too top heavy, and the proportions are all wrong.

My advice go with a Sub, or if you really want a SD...go vintage!

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yeah, idk. its a great watch and comes in a ton of variations.

that transocean is awesome. i love panda color scheme dials.

7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

DSSD would be my pick (full disclosure - I don't own one though). I have no problem with the case size, I think it's an interesting variation on the tried and true SD for those that want something beefier/bigger.

My biggest gripe would be the taper on the bracelet, but from what I hear from owners it's not as big a deal once you own/wear one.

Great watch! Love the size, the dial layout and color scheme. Honestly Breitling really nailed it with this one. I think a lot of people kind of pass on it because of the stigma that Breitling sometimes gets (from all their Bentley/blinged out variations). But talking to various AD's it seems unanimous that Breitling offers some of the best customer service out there. Throw in a great looking watch, and I can see the appeal!

8. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Ahh... I meant to say 116600 vs 16610 :brick:

And on that note, I have a friend with a DSSD and I agree with all the sentiments echoed thus far about it being too big/top heavy/disproportionate/etc. Cool watch for someone looking to sidestep from a Super Avenger or another grotesque monstrosity in the 44mm+ club.

I've been flip-flopping worse than Dwight Howard but as of right now I'm zeroing in on a 16610LV. I was originally going to pull the trigger on a GMT LN but I want a BLNR so the LN would be too redundant. The only downside of the LV, for me at least, is that I prefer the ceramic bezel and updated case (I know I'm in the minority when it comes to this). Also, if I went the LN route, it would only cost me another $1,000 and I would receive a brand new Rolex with my name on the papers. This is what I'm struggling with most at the moment.

I really wish I knew how you guys do it. Short of a condo, I've never had this much difficulty with a purchase.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013

9. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The SOH. Is a nice enough watch, but I've never been inspired to actually pull the trigger on one. The Transocean flat out rocks. The no-date Sub is growing on me like a fungus.

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

And that's what makes this hobby so damn awesome!

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

a rare day off for me, hanging out with the family. and a rarity for TWAT - 46+ [​IMG]

12. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Awesome, maybe if you have $60k to blow on a bunch of watches. Not so awesome when you have 1/10th of that and can only purchase one :embar:

13. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

My fiancee likes the look of the LV and the BLNR so we have been discussing while waiting on the call for the BLNR to arrive so I can go try it on in person. Seems like they are going for over $9K when the old model list was for $8500. Can always wait for the hype to die down as well as it will not be on my wrist until next April 11th....

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Rnguy - go BIG or go home! Cool pilot.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

if/when i get a sub, it would be no date in steel, or nipple dial in gold.
    --

rn - looking sharp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.