The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

I would vote for an ExII 16570 white dial even though it doesn't have green.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Some random contemporary dress watch suggestions in no particular order:

1) Glashutte Original Senator Sixties
    2) Zenith Captain Central Seconds
    3) Glashutte Original Senator Automatic
    4) Nomos tangomat.
    5) Chronoswiss Orea
    6) Chopard L.U.C. 1937.

I think both the basic Reverso and the Omega DeVille are fine choices. I own the latter. On a strap it serves very well in a pure dress watch role. On the supple mesh-look OE bracelet, it transitions well to sporty casual. The Reverso is and always will be THE iconic JLC. Can't go wrong there. Plus you can play with the case when you're bored.

My favourite dress watches tend to be quality vintage pieces, however. Unsurpassed value for money in the genre, IMO. It takes a bit more looking and some homework but the results are more than worth the effort.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Bawlin - I looked at a Hulk when I stopped in the store the other day. The green is mesmerizing. I like the green face better than the 50th Anniversary black face. I don't think I would call the watch subtle but I would wear it with a suit no problem.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Nuke - that mvmnt pic was delicious.

Dino & Nuke - lol @ the airplane stories.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Great for casual, not great with a suit. But if you really don't wear suits that often, maybe you can get a dressy watch for suits at a later date.
    If you wants something very dressy for a suit, I like the idea of a JLC Reverso. Classic, elegant, and a rectangular watch is a bit off the beaten path. The bulk of people buy round watches. Stick with a GT size case and you should be fine. If I were getting a JLC, the Reverso is so iconic it would be the piece I would have to own. In a GT size case it is a manual wind. Not sure if that matters to you, or if you would prefer an automatic.

If you want a go anywhere, do anything kind of watch, the Rolex Datejust is ideal. Its movement is not as finely finished as the JLC, but its a good quality in house movement, its an automatic, and its versatile enough that you can wear it easily with a suit or jeans and a T-shirt. In addition, unlike the Reverso, you could also wear it to go swimming and at the beach.

Roger also had some interesting alternatives.
    The green face is cool, but I don't find the green bezel is as attractive as the green bezels of the old 50th Anniversary watches. I think the first watch Rolex has done a great job with in terms of creating a colored bezel is the Blue/Black GMT 2.
    I don't think its a matter of them not matching up. They are just different and different people here may have different preferences. The DeVille is a nice watch but wouldn't be my taste. I think the JLC's movement finishing is finer than what you will find on a Rolex DJ or DeVille. But I find the DJ, a more rugged and more versatile watch than a MUT/Master Control...and as I already mentioned I'd opt for a Reverso if getting a JLC.

6. kayhill

kayhill Senior member

That is one beautiful watch. JLC is very good value for money.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Stitch, Glad you liked the airplane story. Although, I think Mrs. Dino and I were luckier than Nuke, since the person next to us kept his clothes on, and indirectly paid the Mrs. a compliment.

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I just think that for a dress watch, JLC is just the best option in that price range. The DJ and the DeVille are great watches in themselves, but they are definitely more along the sporty end of the spectrum. If you want a do it all watch, those are definitely great options (as is the 38.5mm aqua terra). But I think that for a dress watch in that price range, JLC just presents a great value proposition. And that movement is just phenomenal.

The Reverso is also great, and I agree with everything Dino said. The only thing about the Reverso is that my favorite models may be a bit too large for your wrist. Otherwise, I think the Reverso is a superb option.

I also really like Roger's suggestions. I would advise looking around a little bit more until you determine what suits you best!

9. in stitches

HA! too true.

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

11. Bams

Bams Active Member

Thank you Newcomer, Roger and Dino for your comments, suggestions and knowledge.
    I actually like a lot of the watches you suggested, and unlike shoes i cannot really buy 2 or 3 at a time, so it's a tough choice. But that's a luxury problem. I'll take my time and go and see those you have listed in person.

I wish there was a vintage or even simply second hand watch shop around where I live. After a good service I am sure I would feel very comfortable buying used or vintage.

Until I make my purchase I will continue getting my watch daily fix from your pictures on this thread

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

12. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

^^^ That's a good plan - see as many as you can and get something you truly love - you'll know it when you see it on your wrist. There are no dogs among the various suggestions. Here is a vintage pic for you that I trot out at the slightest provocation whenever dress watches are discussed: http://www.fototime.com/F155BD999D6197A/orig.jpg

13. Bams

Bams Active Member

That is a nice one, which model is it?
    I have seen pictures of vintage seamasters that I really liked. I have tried on a new seamaster aqua terra, and even though it was nice it did not have the same charm

14. ericdw

ericdw Member

I'm never really on SF, but this is a great thread. Here's what's been getting the heaviest wear on my wrist lately

[​IMG]

JLC Reserve de Marche
    Blancpain Villeret Ultrathin No-date 40
    JLC Deepsea Chrono
    1979 Rolex GMT

15. in stitches

great collection. especially like the JLC deepsea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.