The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

dino - what a shameful story. the worst of it being the lying and misrepresentation. but even from a business standpoint, the ADs shortsightedness in deciding to make a few dollars on a repair at the cost of losing a paying customer is absurd. some people are bad, some people are dumb, and some people are both.

medtech_expat - that who we use. very happy with them. but im not sure you can use them without having an account with them or if that costs anything?

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

It's been a few years since I've had to ship one of my watches, but I remember on TZ the recommendation was to use USPS Registered.
    I remember Brietling even recommended it when I sent something in for service.
    USPS site mentions Jewelry as being covered.
    http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/503.htm#1100045

3. no frills

no frills Senior member

Jayzus that sux.

Best wishes on shipping and that repair, Nuke. Sorry this happened to you.

(And before wurger comments on the severe weakening of my spelling skills, this is deliberate: sometimes I like spelling and abbreviating stuff 'coz imma kinda hip like dat, you dig?)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  4. in stitches

delayed reply:

smart man.

just want to clarify, when i said that, it wasnt a neg at you or customers in general. i didnt mean that no seller HAS to discount, to say that people shouldnt expect it. i meant it to say that no seller should feel like its something they have to do or not do. its a business decision like any other that should be properly thought through, and its the job of the business owner to make the right call for his situation.

and i agree that unless its a non-discounted item or if there is a certain prestige or experience that a person is willing to pay for, like shopping in tiffany, paying full MSRP for an item that is known to be discounted, is silly.

that was clear from the get go. i never meant to imply that i doubted your honesty in your situation.

agree 100%.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Rolex recommends the same. They tell you NOT to ship it at the end of the week so it won't spend a weekend at a warehouse. They also tell you write RUSA on the box not Rolex ...or the box will disappear!
    Good man!!! Also, heed Rolex's advice, send it out on a Monday so it isn't potentially spending the weekend in a warehouse.
    Yes, hard to imagine such petty behavior to make a few hundred dollars all at the expense of permanently loosing a customer's future business. Sadly it happens!

6. in stitches

and that makes me happy! :slayer:

7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

That sounds horrible, and there are certainly suspect AD's out there I suppose. Luckily I've been fortunate enough to get AD's that are completely professional and trustworthy. They give me the receipts/service manifest from JLC or Panerai (in the other instance I've used them), so there's no questions where my watches go.

Again, if you can deal directly with Manufacture, then I wish you nothing but the best, but my experience with my AD's have been invaluable and headache free

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

There are probably many good reputable ADs. Its just there are some that do some pretty underhanded stuff. You've found a good AD and that works for you. I'm a lawyer so I'm used to [​IMG]in my daily life. Not a big deal. In addition, I look at it that even in your case, you might have been stuck paying for a repair that should have been covered (maybe a grand tops)...in the cases of the 2 guys I know...their watches were really [email protected] up and they took huge losses selling/trading them in the condition in which the ADs returned the watches to them.

9. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Newcomer, very sorry to hear about this unfortunate malfunction.

I saw you had posted about it the other day, but was hoping that perhaps the situation had "resolved itself" and the watch was running properly....wishful thinking, I suppose.

Others have already given some excellent advice in terms of possibly dealing direct with the manufacturer, how to best insure your timepiece, the appropriate packing materials, etc.

Perhaps the only other recommendation I would have is that you should seriously consider catching the next available flight and personally returning your JLC directly back to Le Sentier.

I think you could manage, even if it were just a coach class ticket...you might enjoy the trip...

[​IMG]

10. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Sure, she might be on your flight (even in coach) but more likely you'll be sitting next to one of the people that I encounter on airplanes - you know the one with the back fat, wearing the wife beater? :uhoh: Yeah, that guy. Now that I've put that image in your head, shipping doesn't sound so bad, does it?

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Hey, I rarely fly transatlantic, and almost always wear a shirt on weekdays. [​IMG]

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

On my last international flight, I was with my girlfriend at the time and we were heading to beautiful Paris. All was well, until the odd gentleman next to us who did not say a word for 8 hours decided to expose himself. Just my luck.

Year after year, flight after flight, I PRAY I will sit next to someone like Ms. Upton. And year by year, flight by flight, I am let down.

If only JLC's warranty service included free flights :). I guess I could jump into the fedex box with the watch, and hope that they ship me.

13. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Don't know why, but the DJII with smooth dial and arabic numerals has been appealing to me as of late.

[​IMG]

14. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

I don't know why either. No offense, but that's a dog's breakfast.

[​IMG]

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Keith T - I have seen this picture many times and yet I do not tire of looking at it. Also, why do I feel like it is my moral obligation to reply to any post that includes a reference to Ms Upton?

No, seriously - did this really happen to you? Was said gentleman exposing himself to you or to your girlfriend or both? Sheez. Sorry, Nuke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.