1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yep. Don't tell them how much it cost and don't give enough information to be able to google it, haha.

2. onehotchili

onehotchili Senior member

Nuke -
    I think you should get the JLC Geophysic ;). I just dropped an email to my AD to see about getting on a list to order etc.

Personally the Steel Geo fits a niche that I've been looking at for quite a while. Last June I almost pulled the trigger on the JLC Master Control while in St. Thomas. I held off, because it didn't quite feel like an "everyday" watch with my active lifestyle. With the 100m water resistance and other features of the Geo, I think it fills that gap. My alternative is a Rolex Explorer 1, but I already have a vintage birth year Sub that I wear as my daily.... so this one looks distinctly different enough to add more variety to my very small collection.

Anyhow, enough rambling. Time to get back to work to pay for the expensive hobby :)
    - ohc

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

You know, I think you are right D. I am sure I could persuade the future Mrs., whomever she may be, to splurge for a Rolex, JLC, etc. But a big piece... not so much. Let's keep each other honest on this one!

I guess I am in D's camp, except that I am moderately single. At the very least, I do not have anyone who is watching my bank account statements, and probably will not for quite some time. But all in all, my parents sure as hell do not understand the hobby, and I seriously doubt that any young lady that I date will understand it either. Even if we had the funds, the culture (at least down here) would definitely be against me making such a large purchase, especially on a watch. A new Porsche, and nobody would bat an eye. But a watch, God forbid!

4. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

So. Damn. True. And this exact point is something that I've used to 'defend' this hobby/passion/sickness in the past.

"If I really, really wanted a (insert vintage Corvette, 911 Cabriolet, whatever sports car here) I mean, if my heart was truly set on that-- if I would get a ton of satisfaction, and enjoyment, and years of use from that car? You wouldn't have a problem with my buying one, right? Great. I knew you wouldn't. Well, the fact is, if you took all the $$$ that I've spent to date on my whole watch collection, it wouldn't add up to a F-type Jaguar."

(NOTE: modify to indicate the appropriate car/watch budget accordingly).

"See, I'm SAVING you money...."

LOL.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Tried on the BLNR yesterday...hmmm:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Speaking of watches that are tempting...

7. mimo

mimo Senior member

^^ Suits you, Sir...I had a look at one last summer and it's definitely got some charisma about it.

I am really loving this page. The thorny issue of what's "reasonable" to spend is certainly one that I wrestle with, especially with the ups and downs (mostly downs) I've had over the last few years, and the fact that this is a very new interest for me. But the car analogy is an interesting one, as the relative questions of depreciation, pleasure, etc. are often similar equations: it might depreciate, but if you look after it and keep it pristine, it might become collectible and priceless. And in the mean time, best just get one you enjoy so you win either way.

But there is a key difference too: if I bought a Datograph, few would notice, and those that did would probably not know what they were noticing. And they'd be astounded at the cost. If I bought a Porsche Cayman for similar dough, they'd think I was living well. It seems to me the the fancy cars are going to impress more people, or at least get a reaction (even if it's only resentment/envy!), and that's a motivator for some. But the pretty watches are a pleasure to share only with other cogniscenti. I'm rather attracted to that. Although I also wouldn't mind a Porsche. I should have been a lawyer like Dino and got both. :)

Anyway, back to that Geophysic: yes indeed, Nuke, I'm an incorrigible vicarious enabler (I've asked to have my designation changed to "Pernicious Enabler" officially but no response yet). But there are good reasons in this case, as usual. I admit that when I put a MUT Moon on my wrist, it really is lovely and even the day counter didn't annoy me as I thought it might. But generally I've found the Master series to be just a whisker short on personality. After all, there is so much around in that price range. Perhaps JLC have an edge in having such a range of finely-made steel dress watches, but still, they have a lot of $7-10k watches that are, to me, merely nice. And value or not, nice isn't enough for that money in my book. The Reversos are great and I like some of the sporty JLCs, but the Masters are a bit flat for me. This Geophysic beast, though, has real character. I think you've got something very pretty in your MUT Moon. But with this, you've something that is more versatile and genuinely cool. I really like it. That is all.

1 person likes this.
  8. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I just can't get past the polished center links and the Maxi/Super case. Granted that bezel helps to distract me from those things, but in the long run I think they are more likely to irritate me than to grow on me. Still a very cool bezel and a more legible dial.

9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

kop now

1 person likes this.
  10. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Said stitchy, always.

3 people like this.
  11. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I have to admit it looks bad ass. I have two Explorer IIs (weird phase), one polar (white dial) and one black dial.

I figure obviously it'd be more versatile to have a BLNR and one of those Explorers, but would be super sad to get rid of the black dial. I think it's very understated. The white dial is more unique, however. (My wife and I are purchasing a new house, so timing wouldn't be too kosher to get a third rolex!) I could just stay put and focus on SLP instead. heh

12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i did not say that about the LV watch a little bit ago. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Ha, touche.

1 person likes this.
  14. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Just be equally supportive of her hobbies and interests (meaning you also commit to spend at the same level to support hers as yours). I do get a lot of "another one?!" with the watches and guitars, which is annoying, so I just stopped telling her. I buy a card, write a nice note and put a check in it to her equal to the amount of what I spent.

1 person likes this.
  15. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

TC is right, in addition let her have what she wants. You get what you want, simples.

We have the pleasure of celebrating our 25th year of marriage this September, I was a child bride groom!

2 people like this.
  16. academe

academe Senior member

Interesting conversation here...I think anytime you have a potentially expensive hobby (and here I'm thinking not only of money but of time, too), that becomes a potential point of conflict with a spouse/significant other. When I was concentrating on building my bespoke wardrobe I had to be very circumspect and careful about my expenditure to get it past the wife. Now I've moved on to watches, points of discussion/conflict are somewhat more spaced out, mostly because the watches I'm interested in now are so many greater multiples of the cost of jacket or suit that the waiting period is now several years rather than months (I now almost exclusively use an off-Row tailor outside London who has much lower overheads and a smaller operation to maintain, so I'm not talking about £5K Huntsman-level bespoke!). I have friends/family who are very passionate about sports or gaming or some other time consuming past-time - and this garners a similar level of ire from spouses/SOs/partners who don't fully share their interests.

Different families prioritise spending of disposable income in so many different ways, to some extent moderated by socio-economic background, etc. I am very conscious of the fact that my wife and I are from upper income families, because many of our friends are not and would not necessarily think that my hobbies in particular are..."normative" or normal. I almost never mention my interest in bespoke or watches to our friends, because it's something few of them would appreciate/understand. As it is, within our families there are very different attitudes to how disposable income should be dealt with; my family is more inclined to indulge hobbies like watch collecting, bespoke clothing and jewellery, art collecting, etc. My father for example is a serial art collector and loves bespoke furniture, while my uncle is a huge WIS whose large collection of complicated Pateks and gold/platinum Rolexes would put even Frills to shame ;) ...My wife's family is much more practically minded; they sink their disposable income into properties and world travel, and try to pay the minimum for clothing, watches, etc.

17. academe

academe Senior member

I must confess, I still don't quite get the hatred of polished centre links? Did I miss something?

18. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Academe, I hope you are very close with that uncle.

19. academe

academe Senior member

Sadly he has a son who loves watches... :(

20. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Polished center links: I just don't like them on a tool watch. I view the GMT as a tool watch. It just seems incongruent to me.

Convincing the wife: unlike TC and cleav, my better half gets equally upset when I spend large sums of money on her. I had to convince her in to letting me buy her pearls in Bora Bora. I spent less than I would have preferred on her rings because I know she would freak out. I'm also incapable of bending the truth with my wife, I just can't do it. I try, but I always come clean. The one thing we both agree to spend big bucks on is travel. If traveling wasn't so important to me, my watch collection would look a lot different. And bespoke gets me in a lot of trouble too, and I'm just a small timer at Ercole's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.