Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apropos

apropos Senior member

I got a Rolex from my parents when I reached the ripe old age of 21. Know another girl who got a Rolex after she graduated from college. Have no idea why I felt like sharing all that, but when I think about it now and look back, I led a pretty sheltered life pre-parental emancipation. Hmm... :embar:
    Great watch. The Cotes de Soliere finishing on the back is great to gawk at in real life. Love how they decided to go all stealth with the tourby, not unlike PP. For me it's a toss up between that one or the platinum Sun Moon as my one and only platinum Reverso/rectangular watch. Have to admit thought that the price difference ($15k for the SM vs $55k for the tourby) is somewhat biasing me towards the SM... Unless of course JLC releases a platinum cased Reverso with a white enamel dial and solid caseback... :slayer:
    That company was Citizen, that specific watch line was "Eco Drive Thermo", and they discontinued the line some time ago.
    Pretty sure JLC has never made a "Atmos" style watch. You may be thinking of the "Futurematic" watches in which the selling point was that the watch had no crown - no need to wind the watch!! ZOMG!!! At the time of release nearly all watches were manual winds so it was pretty amazeballs at the time. (the Futurematic was actually just an automatic bumper movement, heh.) Also the Atmos movement is pretty finicky to setup in a clock, can't imagine how it will hold up to the greater stresses watches experience. Second the Atmos movements are so energy-poor (well, they do live off air) that the pendulum within it (equivalent to the balance wheel/spring in a watch) only rotates twice a minute and is different from the usual clock pendulums which swing back/forth.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Nuke! Wash your mouth out with soap!!!

There are definitely plenty of watches on here worth more than everything I own. But ten pairs of shoes...isn't that...normal?

Quite.

This must be the only thread on SF where a moral principle has ever been expressed. Amen!

I have never seen that before. It is absolutely breathtaking. Thanks OM!

Well if you are keeping it to ten, that looks like a pretty good ten to have! But why are you lugging them around? Stop moving and start rotating!

Oh my word, yes please!

3. NonServiam

NonServiam Senior member

I have one, my only Speedmaster in fact. The case shape is perhaps a bit dated, but still rather cool. The original bracelet is a flimsy affair, an Omega mesh is however perfect both for looks and comfort.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

4. apropos

apropos Senior member

5. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Oh no--that is just a small fraction. I have around 30 pairs right now :nodding:. I just meant that I live a fairly transitory life right now. I have moved to a different apartment every year for the last... 7 years or so? It is just a pain in the ass to move all those shoes around!

And so it looks like I am having a little bit of a problem with my JLC :butbut:

It looks like it keeps on dying at 11:45 p.m., right before midnight. I am guessing it is a problem with not having enough power to go through with the date transfer. Going to do a few more experiments, but it has died at 11:45 several days in a row now.

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

Nuke, that is a lot of shoes! I have 14 pairs of leather shoes that I actually wear. :D

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No worries about . Always interesting to hear what some of our first good watches were and the occasion that marked them. I have a few pieces that marked special occasions, law school, first real job, anniversary etc.
    Sorry Mimo, I'll try not to let it happen again [​IMG]
    I like some of the 70's designs. I think they are quirky and fun. I'd have not problem enjoying a Speedy Mark II. As for the original bracelet...very few bracelets were great back in the 70s. Maybe the three best bracelets I've seen from the 70s were on the AP RO, PP Nautilus, and VC 222...but even they had the inexpensive stamped steel folding inner blade that you would find on Rolex watches back then.
    If people love a particular watch they should definitely go for it. Roger asked to be talked out of it, I tried to do so without going over the top. Public opinion means very little since only the buyer has to wear it. Minerva was/is a fine company, but IMHO purchasing Minerva does very little to add credibility, history, value, or beauty to Mont Blanc watches. Porsche Design bought Eterna so they could be a manufacturer... but it hasn't done anything for them in terms of creating beautiful designs, coherent collections, desirability, resale, or a perception of good value.

I've always found Mont Blanc watches overpriced, glitzy, and lacking enough substance to truly set them apart from or make them a meaningful competitor with similarly priced watches. So there are other brands I'd much prefer to own. If an MB some how fills a void in someone's collection, or they love the design, then the person should buy it. No watch can be everything to everyone. Even if someone posted a watch that isn't something I would choose to own I would still be happy for my SF Bro as its something that makes him happy.

8. jankoxxx

jankoxxx Member

Baume & Mecier on custom Shell Cordovan strap :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I know you've all been anxiously waiting for an update on my search for a dual time zone watch. Well, I believe that the JLC Master Geographic will be my next watch. For me it has proven to be the easiest to read and it provides a very simple mechanism to adjust time zones (although the mechanical memory Breguet for $78k was pretty sweet :slayer:). And like all JLCs that I've seen, the design and craftsmanship are impeccable.

I did look at a number of other pieces, several of which were intriguing (Frederique Constant seemed to be a great value; the AP Dual Time was impressive but I can't justify the price). The modern pieces that several members suggested were "interesting" but not for me. And several pieces (the JLC Hometime for instance) just didn't work for me - I still ended up "calculating" the time in the "other place" instead of just reading it (JLC's reverse 24 hour GMT dial - the "reference time indicator" - which is on the Hometime and the Reverso might as well have been in sanskrit). My wife and kids remind me periodically about my cognitive limitations - I don't need to spend big money for a watch which confirms what they say!

One [unsolicited] observation about the whole watch buying "process" - it really sucks. I am new to the "watch thing" and my prior purchases have been limited to a few Rolex models where I really knew what I wanted. This was different, I was looking for help and it oftentimes wasn't available. Tourneau/Chicago was the worst - it seems as if the salespeople believe that they can make up for their lack of knowledge with an unpleasant, condescending attitude. For the life of me, I can't understand how they sell anything. Oh well, I guess that's why there's vanilla and chocolate.

Next step is figuring out what to do with a two month old Explorer II....

Thanks to everyone for their input/suggestions. This thread is wonderful - extremely informative without drama or BS.

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:I think their horological credibility comes from designing and crafting a first rate in-house chronograph movement. How long did it take the likes of IWC to offer something better than the pedestrian Valjoux 7750 in their chronograph models? For how many decades now has Zenith been resting on their El Primero Laurels? That said, they are certainly a good way from achieving widesread acceptance among enthusiast circles where, let's face it, branding plays a huge role in purchase choices. That is something I only see improving for MB as time progresses. And the upside is that the prices for their better timepieces take a real dive on secondary market. At least, that's an upside if you are shopping the secondary market like I am. In fairness, I did ask to be talked out of it, and understand many of the reservations expressed by others even if I don't share them all.

11. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Yes! NonServiam! That's a great shot....love the fade on those hour markers.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

very awesome shoes. my shoe collection stands at about 12, and im happy there.

i have no beef with MB as a watch maker, but im not exactly enamored by them either. i just love that NR model cuz it beautiful.

as mentioned, the only thing close i know of are the JLC atmos clocks, which are friggin awesome.

congrats!!!!! awesome.

---

have some watches i am getting ready for sale, hope to share some nice pr0n later today. :slayer:

edit - NS, that omega looks great.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats on the Geographic. Simply a great watch, with superb quality and incredibly easy to adjust and read. If I did a lot of traveling, I would definitely buy one. I've tried out several GMT watches and world time watches, and I always come away thinking the Geographic is the simplest to adjust and easiest to read. I am sure you will be really happy with it. Congrats and enjoy!

I suppose you could always sell the Ex2 if you don't think you will use it or enjoy it. I have an old previous generation Ex2 that I like and wear often, but I don't have the issues with the GMT function that bother you.

As for Tourneau, no matter where they are in the country, its as though when they interview potential sales associates they only pick people that have the least knowledge and least interest in watches, but the biggest attitudes. Its a place you can go to window shop but that's about it. There are much better shops and sales associates you can deal with in almost any major area.

14. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Master Geo has the 12 and the 9 on it, right? Not just the 9? Must Google.

EDIT: Yes, I like that one.

Prestige has a nice close-up of the dial.

We want pictures when you get it, HorseHide.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I thought I was going to get to pick up my watch today, but due to a paperwork delay I won't get it until this coming Monday at the earliest, possibly Wednesday or Thursday.

:fu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.