The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

2. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

You are funny mister. Maybe half, but probably not.

3. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

That Reverso is superb. I love the movement. Not a Stitchy-style tourby, but even he may get behind this one :).

5. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

thanks for the suggestions fellas... I agree either go for the full-on blacked out ceramic or perhaps the D-Star. the relative has suggested he prefers the automatic (as do I) but either way I'll have to go try a few on for size. of course I'm appreciative and I wouldn't turn it down.... but jeez, I can't deny I wish he had said "hey, I'd love to buy you a JLC... why don't you pick one out!" :happy:

when I narrow it down I'll post a couple pix before I decide... cheers!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why are they giving yoiu a Rado in particular? Are they getting a special deal on; are they friend with the dealer it or is there some other reason?
    It is odd to give you a choice but specify only one brand. I remember when my dad bought me a watch for my 21st, he said I could choose either an Omega, a Heuer or a Breitling because those were real, honest watch brands.
    Obviously, he had his idea of values he wanted to impart, but he gave me some choice.

7. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

Never seen one of these before, but happened to be browsing eBay and saw a braille watch made by Sinn. Looks like the door opens so that you can feel the time.

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

have them get you whatever model you can resale for the most money. :devil:
    BUY THAT WATCH THIS INSTANT OR I WILL BEAT YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH A POOL CUE!!! i love that watch. saw it for the first time in person in nashville and it only made me love it more. sorry i was unable to talk you off the ledge. forgive me.
    dont say that.
    you may say that.
    dood. that is one of my many many grails. LOVE it. have loved that for a while. especially love the tower shaped tourbillon back situation. gimme.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Dopey, it could be a family thing, a cultural thing (a friend from India told me its a big brand for gifts among Indian people), the right price range, or the giver just likes the brand. No matter what the reason for the chosen brand, its very nice of that family member or friend to offer such a gift. I hope you are not implying Kid should ask if he could have a choice of other brands. I think that would be very inappropriate, and possibly insulting to the giver. The fact that your Dad offered to let you choise from a few brands is nice, but not really relevant. Even if a Rado isn't his grail watch it could have special meaning to him because of who gives it to him. While we all tend to be brutally honest here and joke around a lot, I think this is a situation where Kid should pick something in line with the giver's wishes and be thankful.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

A really understated but fantastic Reverso!

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was just curious. Obviously, when someone offers you a gift, you say thank you, and I wasn't suggesting he say anything else. It just seemed odd. It also seems odd that Rado would have some significnce as a gift in India. I would love to hear about that. A personal idiosyncratic favorite of the gift giver makes some sense. But that a whole country likes it is bizarre. Maybe Koreans give Hublots and Saudis give Ebels (actually, there is some truth to that -Ebel used to be very popular in the Middle East for a while).

12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry Dopey, I'm not Indian nor have I had lots of friends from India. So I can't really shed much light on why its popular with people from India. What I can tell you is a friend who was Indian and who's family owned a high end watch and jewelry store for 20 years (carried Lange, VC, Rolex, GP, BP, Panerai, Piaget, Breitling, Omega, Tag, Rado etc), told me Rado is really popular among Indians, and it is often a gift for special occasions. That's all I can say about that.

When I was growing up I knew a few kids that got a Rolex for graduating from high school, college, or grad school. It's just what their parents liked and often they owned one themselves.

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Here was the state of my collection a good couple years ago, and it has... grown since then. I have at least one shoe from each brand represented that I would care to own, and to be honest, with as much as I have moved around lately... lugging around 30 shoes in their boxes has grown OLD. During my last move, I did a shoe trip in my car. That is embarrassing. I barely wear each pair more than a dozen times a year. Most of them I wear less. The beautiful thing about watches is that even if you own 5, 6, 7, whatever, you can rotate them much easier. After I reached 30 some odd pairs of shoes, rotating them is just a hassle.

[​IMG]

And that Reverso really is spectacular! I am glad we are on board together on this one.

And I am with you on the Montblanc. I love that model.

Also, I am kind of surprised that people are disavowing MB as a watch manufacture. I understand that they make pens. But with the purchase of Minerva, they have some pretty serious horological street cred. Plus, they have enough of a financial backing that I would not be too concerned with parts availability. They seem to be pumping out great watches with interesting complications at incredibly reasonably prices.

14. Kai

Kai Senior member

Some years ago, I saw several articles about a watch that winds itself as a result of changes in temperature. There's some temperature sensitive metal spring inside that coils and uncoils as a result of very small changes in temperature.

At the time, folks seemed very excited about this technology, and it was the next big thing.

Anyone ever seen a watch that incorporates these principles?

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Not sure - My grandparents bought a JLC for my dad in Switzerland in the 70's and it broke on the plane on the way home. I am pretty sure it was an Atmospheric movement, but I can't find any record of that having existed in a wrist watch either... anyone know this one either?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.