The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] The Rolex PIMP/Dino slice of the market... thanks for the laugh.

I know lots of people whine about Daytonas and Speedy Pro's not having dates but I say Thank Goodness!!! Sadly IMHO many great watch designs are ruined with date windows.
    Ah...that's too funny. Yes, my parents paid $120 or $125 for it back in 1983. By then I was a little old for it and didn't play with it much, so its in great shape. I had no idea as to values until a friend that collects toy robots and has some Voltes Vs in lesser condition (and paid a lot more) told me that they had become collectible. My wife can understand collecting watches, but she thinks toy robots are a bit silly and that it should find a new home. Oh well, I guess we shall see whether he stays or goes.

2. no frills

no frills Senior member

Quote:
    Well, if you make that decision that he should go, it may well mark the first time we'll meet - that is, if you offer a fellow SF TWAT brother first dibs. [​IMG]

And for a deal about a collectible no less!

Oh, you were just saying..... [​IMG]

3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

That's a good-looking watch. I like these sword hands better than the old broad arrow hands. With the broad arrow and, the subdials can get obscured by the hour hand.

4. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Not sure what you mean. It requires you to determine the time zone, not the time - you push the time zone until it corresponds to the one you are in (though admittedly I am not sure how it works with half hour time zones). Heimat is what always keeps the same - your home time.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

the only thing that bugs me off hand with some of those omegas is the date window. i dont why i have such a hard time with date windows, but when they have no lens or no depth or no border, just an open cut in the dial, they just seem horribly flat to me. they cheapen the look of the watch to me, and that makes me sad. outside of that, i quite like some of those models, 30K pricing aside.

what that again? :uhoh:

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Very sweet.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Frills my bro...I'll certainly give you first dibs...it would definitely give us a good reason to meet up and chat watches etc.
    He does not want to have something that tells home time or a second time zone in military time. He seems to want a second "watch face" which is what one finds on a RO Dual Time, JLC Geographic or Hometime, or VC Overseas Dual Time. Yes, on the Nomos the pusher advances the ring with the cities. But according to Nuke's diagrammed photo, the home time is told at 3 O'Clock using a smaller ring with military time...hence that aspect of having to calculate from military time is no different than on an Explorer 2.

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

just found out a family member wants to give me a watch as a gift! :happy:

however, it must be a Rado. :plain:

9. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

They made one that's not too bad lately — the somewhat unfortunately-named "D-Star".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks wearable to me, at least as a gift.

10. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Applause for keeping it under 42 mm, although now the subdials are perhaps disproportionately large? For me, the most interesting current Speedy is the Sigma 7 limited edition at just under 40 mm (39.7 mm). Sensible size, cal. 1861 movement, wears great on that strap.

[​IMG]

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Someone's either got an agency or a vicious sense of humour. :)

I kind of like the clean design on this chrono (at about $3500). IT is pretty big at 45mm, though.

Or for half the price (and I don't like the date window, but..) this is also quite understated and classic-looking. And a sensible 40mm.

I don't really like the bezel and stuff on Belligero's above; looks cheap to me. But that's just my personal taste, and the proportions are quite nice if you like something a little sporty.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

12. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Handsome watch.

Would love to see it in 44 mm though, wondering if the subdials would be better proportioned at that size. Love the Blue/white scheme.

I forgot how damn expensive these Speedy's have become!

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Morning TWATters. I am not sure that there is any better way to start the morning than with some dirty Piaget pr0n.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just wow. A little out there design-wise, but surprisingly wearable given its dimensions.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Not a skeleton fan but love the look of Piaget's in general.

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

...provided you ignore the fact that it's hanging over that wrist on both ends. :teach:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.