• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungapa

Reaction score

Yes, but the Nomos still requires him to determine the time, same as an Explorer 2 or GMT2 would.  Which I thought is not what he wants. 
+1 great watch.

Not sure what you mean. It requires you to determine the time zone, not the time - you push the time zone until it corresponds to the one you are in (though admittedly I am not sure how it works with half hour time zones). Heimat is what always keeps the same - your home time.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only thing that bugs me off hand with some of those omegas is the date window. i dont why i have such a hard time with date windows, but when they have no lens or no depth or no border, just an open cut in the dial, they just seem horribly flat to me. they cheapen the look of the watch to me, and that makes me sad. outside of that, i quite like some of those models, 30K pricing aside.

Can't help but wonder if Frilly is now going to be overcome by the urge to collect a certain narrow and eye-wateringly expensive genre of rare toys.

what that again? :uhoh:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point about the Nomos Dino.

Also, just wanted to see if anyone could give me a lead--anyone have a suggestion regarding a good place to pick up a new tang buckle? The JLC deployant on the longer straps just fits a little bit funny, and I find tang buckles to be somewhat more comfortable.

And a good article on Hodinkee today: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-...dmaster-co-axial-1957-live-pics-pricing-specs

I have to say, this is one hell of a good looking Omega. Only 41.5mm as well with the Cal. 9300 movement. I am glad to see that they can fit the 9300 movement into a much smaller package.

Very sweet.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Well, if you make that decision that he should go, it may well mark the first time we'll meet - that is, if you offer a fellow SF TWAT brother first dibs.
biggrin.gif

And for a deal about a collectible no less!

Oh, you were just saying.....
mwink%5B1%5D.gif
Frills my bro...I'll certainly give you first dibs...it would definitely give us a good reason to meet up and chat watches etc.
Not sure what you mean. It requires you to determine the time zone, not the time - you push the time zone until it corresponds to the one you are in (though admittedly I am not sure how it works with half hour time zones). Heimat is what always keeps the same - your home time.
He does not want to have something that tells home time or a second time zone in military time. He seems to want a second "watch face" which is what one finds on a RO Dual Time, JLC Geographic or Hometime, or VC Overseas Dual Time. Yes, on the Nomos the pusher advances the ring with the cities. But according to Nuke's diagrammed photo, the home time is told at 3 O'Clock using a smaller ring with military time...hence that aspect of having to calculate from military time is no different than on an Explorer 2.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just found out a family member wants to give me a watch as a gift! :happy:

however, it must be a Rado. :plain:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just found out a family member wants to give me a watch as a gift! :happy:
however, it must be a Rado. :plain:

They made one that's not too bad lately — the somewhat unfortunately-named "D-Star".

It looks wearable to me, at least as a gift.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say, this is one hell of a good looking Omega. Only 41.5mm as well with the Cal. 9300 movement. I am glad to see that they can fit the 9300 movement into a much smaller package.

Applause for keeping it under 42 mm, although now the subdials are perhaps disproportionately large? For me, the most interesting current Speedy is the Sigma 7 limited edition at just under 40 mm (39.7 mm). Sensible size, cal. 1861 movement, wears great on that strap.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
however, it must be a Rado.
plain.gif

Someone's either got an agency or a vicious sense of humour. :)

I kind of like the clean design on this chrono (at about $3500). IT is pretty big at 45mm, though.

Or for half the price (and I don't like the date window, but..) this is also quite understated and classic-looking. And a sensible 40mm.

I don't really like the bezel and stuff on Belligero's above; looks cheap to me. But that's just my personal taste, and the proportions are quite nice if you like something a little sporty.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Handsome watch.

Would love to see it in 44 mm though, wondering if the subdials would be better proportioned at that size. Love the Blue/white scheme.

I forgot how damn expensive these Speedy's have become!

Very sweet.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morning TWATters. I am not sure that there is any better way to start the morning than with some dirty Piaget pr0n.

Just wow. A little out there design-wise, but surprisingly wearable given its dimensions.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a skeleton fan but love the look of Piaget's in general.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[...] A little out there design-wise, but surprisingly wearable given its dimensions...

...provided you ignore the fact that it's hanging over that wrist on both ends. :teach:

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

...provided you ignore the fact that it's hanging over that wrist on both ends. :teach:

Haha, true, but I am pretty sure the poster's wrist is ~6.25".

Let me rephrase. It looks wearable for a 48mm watch... :happy:

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always had an awkward man-crush on this watch. And now a local purchase opportunity presents itself. Somebody talk me off the ledge, please. I know it's very unconventional - but that is precisely what is appealing to me. I know it's (absurdly?) overpriced at retail, but I won't be paying retail. Please save me from myself.

For some reason the insert photo icon doesn't appear when I log on at work, so cut and paste the link below, or google 'Montblanc Nicolas Riuessec Chronograph' :

http://www.fototime.com/3EFB795436A443A/orig.jpg

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning TWATters. I am not sure that there is any better way to start the morning than with some dirty Piaget pr0n.

Just stunning! Piaget is one of my favorite brands. Don't own one yet, but I'd love to have one someday.
I've always had an awkward man-crush on this watch. And now a local purchase opportunity presents itself. Somebody talk me off the ledge, please. I know it's very unconventional - but that is precisely what is appealing to me. I know it's (absurdly?) overpriced at retail, but I won't be paying retail. Please save me from myself. For some reason the insert photo icon doesn't appear when I log on at work, so cut and paste the link below, or google 'Montblanc Nicolas Riuessec Chronograph' : http://www.fototime.com/3EFB795436A443A/orig.jpg
Sometimes the heart wants what the heart wants and resistance is futile. I personally, find it over stylized not very attractive. However, if the price is right and you love it, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads