Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

While I am not about to deny anyone their justification for buying a new watch, Is there any logical reason why a GMT watch can't be used as a dual time watch? When you're away from home set the GMT hand to home time and the 12 hour hand to local time.

2. Flake

Flake Senior member

Still hoping he gets to do At The Mountains of Madness.

3. wurger

wurger Senior member

I can't think of any, GMT is designed for that, I guess a dual zone zone might slightly easier to read, but both takes time to adjust when flying to locations with different time zones.

4. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

Just by a brand new one on TimeZone from a good seller and forget about taxes and import fees :) I found this to be the easiest way to get watches I want at the prices I can afford.

5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah yes! I actually speak German, and the movie was kind enough to explain "jaeger = hunter" in the beginning.

Jaegerkaizu right here:

[​IMG]

Boom!

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

firstly, thanks for the compliments, much appreciated.

as to your quandary, i think you really answered your own question. the canadian discounts sound great, and we all love saving $, but buy what your heart desires, not what you can the best deal on.

7. doter

doter New Member

I know it has been quite some time since this post, but I was wondering about your Nomos Orion Rose. I am wondering how "pink" it looks in person. Thanks.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

There are several great choices available, but I think you have to decide the type of watch you want, dressy, sporty, or something in between.

I found the Master Geographic is one of the easiest to use to use world time watches. Although, I will admit that I find the original version's dial more attractive. The Master Hometime is also a great watch,...one that I find maybe a bit less busy than a Master Geographic, and maybe the one I would choose if going for a JLC. I think its also a very versatile watch that transitions well from casual to dress clothing.

The Moser that someone posted is really beautiful, but I would find it a bit delicate and dressy if I need one watch to do everything when traveling. The same of Patek's 5134 Travel Time. As for Patek's world time watches such as ref 5110, I know there are lots of fans of them, but its one design I have never cared for from Patek.

The Royal Oak Dual Time and VC Overseas Dual Time, both use the JLC Master Geographic's movement as their base. IIRC, it was used in RO, back when AP still owned 40% of JLC. Its a great movement, and works well in the AP and the VC. I believe the one thing that does annoy some people about the RO Dual Time is the lack of a quickset date feature. I think that is one thing VC's version does have, but I find the asymmetric crown at 2 o'clock annoying, and I find its bracelet too flashy, and more like a brand advertisement. I am a big RO fan, and I did give the Dual Time some thought. I think its a really versatile design that can work well for a traveler on the go.

You definitely, need to try on a bunch of these watches and figure out which one speaks to you. I think more so than many other types of watches, dual time and GMT watches require trying them on person to see what it takes to use them, how legible they are, and to determine which design fits your needs best.
    Yes, but the Nomos still requires him to determine the time, same as an Explorer 2 or GMT2 would. Which I thought is not what he wants.
    +1 great watch.
    So funny, I remember those too. I had a Mazinger Z robot when growing up. Not sure what happened to it. However, I still have a Voltes V robot in mint condition in the box, my parents bought it for me at FOA Shwarz during a trip to NYC years ago. Its now in the "Man Cave."
    I was in Montreal about 2 years ago. At least back then there were no great deals to be had on Rolex, JLC or AP. Dealing with the Canadian tax, or the import tax of getting it home, (some dealers will not let you just ship the boxes to avoid their taxes...as its mail fraud, so boxes and watch must be shipped together). Just seemed to create a big headache without any great benefit. I basically discovered I could get the same or better deals at home. Also, the fines involved if they determine you are wearing a new watch you are wearing into the country while trying to evade the import tax could be unpleasant. A friend warned me about that a while ago, so I brought a miniaturized copy of the sales receipt for my Explorer 2 (wedding gift), so I would have proof this new looking watch was not purchased overseas when I re-entered the country.

Yes, I had heard the Bruiser nickname for the black& blue GMT. I find it a little silly, but I guess people like coming up with nicknames for some of the new Rolex models.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Good point about the Nomos Dino.

Also, just wanted to see if anyone could give me a lead--anyone have a suggestion regarding a good place to pick up a new tang buckle? The JLC deployant on the longer straps just fits a little bit funny, and I find tang buckles to be somewhat more comfortable.

And a good article on Hodinkee today: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-...dmaster-co-axial-1957-live-pics-pricing-specs

I have to say, this is one hell of a good looking Omega. Only 41.5mm as well with the Cal. 9300 movement. I am glad to see that they can fit the 9300 movement into a much smaller package.

[​IMG]

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

I do not think it is by conscious design, but the whole "family sharing timepieces" only goes one way: from mine to her. I do not wear her watches (I have a small wrist but her 26mm ladies Rolexes are a bit too small even for me), but she can wear my watches all the time!

I see what you're saying. It didn't quite do well in the US box office. But check out this crazy glowing review from the Guardian in the UK:

"And it's what makes so many modern-day blockbusters so slack: they haven't the imagination for failure. They are glinting, 24-carot dreams of success – quite literal power trips. The new Man of Steel has very little time for Clark Kent, only for Superman, Kal-el, this time reimagined as a demi-God. The Transformer movies are boring precisely to the extent that watching two equal, opposed forces thrash it out is boring: only narrative sleights of hand and deus ex machinas will tip the fight. And why Pacific Rim is the most consistently thrilling bit of blockbuster sublimity since Avatar."

Hah hah hah - now I don't know if I liked the movie THAT much, but here's the full review for your pleasure:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2013/jul/12/pacific-rim-guillermo-del-toro-blockbuster

WAIT. You have a mint Voltes V that came mostly in diecast metal? The one that "volts in" in exactly the same fashion as the cartoon? That's pretty spectacular. Certainly worthy of its place in the Man Cave!!!

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

The purists will probably not like the date function but I must admit I did a double take when I saw the images in this article. Still, $30,000 for the yellow and rose gold versions means they'll be competing in tough territory, IMHO.

12. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yeah, $30,000 for any of the mid-level luxury brands is a bit of a joke in my opinion. But you know, there are those that think Rolex and Omega are the ne plus ultra of the watch world.

i.e., those that think that the only differences between a $10,000 watch, a $30,000 watch, and a $100,000 watch are the metal that is used and the diamonds that can be stuffed into the bezel.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

+1
    Spot on Frills.
    Yes, mint condition, mostly diecast metal (with box & booklet). I even put all the small parts in a ziplock bag so they wouldn't (and didn't get lost).
    [​IMG]
    more photos below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Can't help but wonder if Frilly is now going to be overcome by the urge to collect a certain narrow and eye-wateringly expensive genre of rare toys. I am 100% certain that the thought has crossed his mind today. [​IMG]

Have to agree on the Omega pricing. Apart from anything else, that really does go head to head with Rolex for the pimp/Dino slice of the market. [​IMG]

(And I do hate the little date window; would be so much cooler without it: I liked the picture a lot, but as soon as I saw the date I had this feeling of disappointment and disgust, as if woman I was admiring had just shown me her testicles).

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hot dang Dino - that's the original Godaikin Voltes V. I had that back in the early 1980s when we had family friends from Japan give me one as a gift, but I probably promptly destroyed it as a young lad. The construction is solid, mostly diecast metal, and the detailing is incredible. These things tend to trade for anywhere from $1,200 to well above that number, likely a multiple of what your parents paid for it in FAO Schwarz back in the day. Check out this video review from a collector who's enthralled by it hah hah.

I am a bit annoyed that he keeps referring to it as "Voltes V" and not "Voltes FIVE." WTF! Hah hah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.