Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

2. kungapa

kungapa Senior member

Big fan of the Nomos Weltzeit. Tried it on at Wempe and almost pulled the trigger - if it was 2mm smaller it might have been mine.

As for JLC world timers, there is the JLC's World Geographique which avoids the winking robot (damn you ChicagoRon - what has been seen can not be unseen).

Frilly - congratulations on becoming a US citizen!

3. mreister

mreister Active Member

Realize that this may not be in the budget, but every time someone brings up the idea of a dual-time watch, I can't help but think of the H. Moser & Cie Nomad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not only is it a beautiful watch, but the design is remarkably clever - the red hand, which marks the 2nd time zone (and can be set in 1-hour increments via the crown), can also be hidden behind the hour hand when not in use. More details at Hodinkee: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/introducing-the-h-moser-nomad but safe to say that I fell in love with this watch as soon as I saw it (which happened as part of this wonderful thread, although I can't find/remember who posted it originally). I've got to believe that they're hard to find, unfortunately, as the Hodinkee article says H. Moser & Cie only produces 1,200 watches / year in total.

I'm reasonably sure the girlfriend would strangle me if she knew how much I lusted after this watch...My savings in the short to medium-term need to be going towards other, shinier, one-time expenses...

4. dbln79

dbln79 Well-Known Member

I don't use the GMT function but I love my JLC Dualtime/Hometime:

[​IMG]

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

so much to catch up on! :bounce2:
    i think i have read it all also, but im not sure. i may have done some scanning through some parts, lol.
    thanks, keith. i hear ya about the fluted bezel (dressy) + numbers (sporty). but i think it fits with the overall look of the watch very well.
    for the most part :slayer: but sometimes its :fu: its not always fun and games. it is a job after all. but im very happy and thankful to have landed where i did. it wasnt always this way for me.
    thanks! i certainly will.
    thanks! and congrats again to you!!!!
    now, if i find an outfit to match one of his PPs, we can do a trade!! BRILLIANT!!!
    thanks again, so glad you enjoyed. excellent points there about things not always be quite what we remember them. ill try to write up a comparison post of babies after the new addition gets some wear time. im still trying to figure out how i will give them equal time. gotta be fair.
    thanks, dude!
    im slightly biased, but i love the JLC squadra hometime. :)

6. no frills

no frills Senior member

+1.

Speaking of JLC, I may just get myself another Jaeger LeCoultre because of how awesome I thought Guillermo del Toro's "Pacific Rim" was. Kaiju versus Jaegers - BOOM!

Disclaimer: I grew up in Asia on a steady diet of Godzilla, Mothra, Voltes V, Daimos, Mazinger Z, etc. I'm positively biased towards the themes from Pacific Rim.

7. in stitches

frilly, back up for a second. "another Jaeger LeCoultre" you say. what JLC(s) do you have now? i only know of your daytona and 3 PPs off the top of my head.

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Ah, true - I did get one JLC but it was for the missus. Guess what it was? And guess where I got the idea?

[​IMG]

That's right, Mr Squadra fan. You. [​IMG]

9. in stitches

oh, lol. i well remember that fantastic and well advised *cough cough haha* purchase.

i thought you meant you had some of your own. now, i know that you and your mrs share some of the frilly family time pieces, but i would imagine, and hope, that that particular JLC does not get any wrist time from you. : )

10. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I wore this to Pacific Rim, thought it was fitting both in namesake and in theme: [​IMG] I went to see it on Thursday night by myself, I'm a HUGE fan of the genre (Godzilla, Mazinger, Grendizer etc..), and while I wanted to love it (been waiting for it for over a year!) I was a little disappointed by some of the very dark action sequences (too much water/night time fighting), as well as lack of any real character development (and I'm not one to normally harp on this kind of thing..). Im a huge del toro fan though, and we certainly had glimpses of greatness through the movie. Hopefully it makes enough to warrant a sequel!

11. in stitches

love that JLC.

speaking of Guillermo del Toro, pans labyrinth is one of my favorite movies all time. amazing. i may watch it today as a matter of fact.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

In Stitches - Love the blue dial with red accents. That really pops for a DJ and stands out well. I actually like that one a lot.

Frills - Congrats on citizenship! I have had a couple friends recently become citizens. They threw big parties. Both were of Asian decent as well.

So yesterday I put my name on the short list for the new Blue/Black GMT. Did you guys know it has the nickname of "The Bruiser"? I told the guy I hadn't heard that but this is the only watch section I keep track of these days. They also have a Green bezel and face Sub. I am waiting on the GMT to come in as I work right around the corner so he said he would call everyone on the list and it is first come first serve. So I may be the owner of a new GMT soon but will not take possession until next April as it is a wedding gift from my fiancee.

I did have a question though. I have thought of waiting as I recently read a post on another website about some Canadian ADs offering discounts of up to 25% on Subs? Getting some brand new OTD for low 7's. Anyone heard of this? The reason I ask is that I am going to Montreal in a couple of months and may hold off on a Rolex purchase until then if this is true. May have to worry about import tax of some sort but I assume I could wear the watch back and ship the box to myself? If this is the case then I may wait and hold off on the GMT and get a Sub instead if discounts are that great.

The obvious question is which one is my heart set on more? A Black Sub does nothing for me but a Blue/Gold or Green sub are nice. As for GMTs I doubt they will be offering discounts on the new release of the GMT. Decisions decisions....

Don't know if we can cross post to other forums but here it is on WUS. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/just-bought-new-sub-c-25percent-off-875936.html

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013

13. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

My favorite dual time watch... http://www.ochsundjunior.ch/watches/two-time-zones/design/

[​IMG]

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Although I am not sure it is my favorite aesthetically, that may be the most useful dual time watch ever known to man kind.

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

JB: Looks like we have a likely contender to be the first blue/black GMT owner! I kind of like it more with the nickname too: maybe from the expression "beat someone black and blue". The watch of jet-setting thuggery?

Scott, that OJ is way cool. But I have to say the H&C Nomad, that I've never seen before, blew me away (thanks for that, mreister!)

Frilly: I know you're an educated man, but just for completeness: "jaeger" (from "jäger") is the German word for hunter - similar word in some other European languages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.