1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

^ :uhoh: I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure most of their watches are just ETA movements and only the top-of-the-line pieces use Zenith movements. That was a few years ago when they really began pushing their watches so they may have gone in-house since then. Regardless, I can't understand why one would overpay for one of their regular watches much less that world time monstrosity… yikes.

I'll take that bet! :happy:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I'm very curious to see how fashion houses like LV, RL, Hermes and Zegna are doing in the watch world. Some of their pieces don't look too bad but I can't think of any reason to buy one for the same cost as an Omega IWC or even JLC. I've never seen one in the wild either. Seems like a costly venture and I wonder how their return is so far.

Anyone have an idea?

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

flake, im a big fan of the panny metal bracelet. so hefty and manly.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  4. Kid Nickels

My aunt is an Hermes SA and according to her they've established some in house manufacture for the movements after previously using ETA (same as LV). Of course she gets discounts (sometimes wicked! discounts) so it doesn't really count.

I'd agree completely… why would you buy one for the same price as those mentioned above?

5. bings

bings Senior member

probably because you already have 3 rolexs, 3 Omegas, a JLC, an hublot, vintage this, titanium that.... and you're bored with tens of thousands of dollars in dispoable income every few months

or you're mid-level drug dealer and you need to get rid of a few grand in cash every month or so and bitches love LV

i saw the latter at the LV boutique the other day stacking paper on random gear.

6. academe

academe Senior member

Frills delivers again!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  7. academe

academe Senior member

Blustery Planet Ocean day. Will spring never come to Scotland?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

Definitely the latter. Even if you had all those things like the former, the lists of "this" and "that" before resorting to LV for your spare $50k, are a mile long - even for a watch noob like me. Only today I saw with my own eyes a Datograph, a PAM 423, a Reverso 1931, a Royal Oak Chronograph, a Lange 1 and a few other things, that would probably be in the first ten; definitely the first hundred....and several hundred before the LV kaleidoscope cereal packet novelty above.

Is that a poetic reference to separatism? I didn't know you were a Caledonian. I do like the PO, more than my brain tells me is right, but I'm pretty sure James Bond is a unionist. [​IMG]

9. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Fantastic images ... and great shoes!

10. academe

academe Senior member

Mimo I like the way you think :). Sadly I was being quite literal; it's been about 0-7 C the last couple of weeks, which is not so different from the weather we were having in December. I believe England has been enjoying temperatures in the 10-18 C range. Enough to make you want to move. I'm not Scottish; I just work here ;). And for the record, I think the Scottish National Party are a bit nutty to be suggesting independence, and don t seem to have a very convincing platform to base their ideas on (at least to me).

Re: PO
    I have a love-hate relationship with divers and sports chronographs. While I appreciate them, their ubiquity (as discussed before) makes it very hard for me to spend much on one. Call me snob, but I find it hard to spend more than low 4 figures on something that the average joe wouldn't be able tell apart from a Citizen or Timex or Technomarine. The PO was the closest I could get to scratching that particular itch. So far, I've been happy with it, accept for the fact that I find it a little top heavy. It's good for what I bought it for; t shirt, jeans, hiking, kicking a ball around with the kids, etc.

1 person likes this.
  11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Spoiler tags please...

3 people like this.
  12. suaviter

suaviter Senior member

this made me LOL.

1 person likes this.
  13. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Where's your cap?

14. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Nice report, Frills.

15. no frills

no frills Senior member

When my daughters are in danger - or if they need to use the potty - I spring into action. No super soldier serum or indestructible vibranium-iron unknown alloy shield required, just my Nautilus.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

The hands are capped!

17. no frills

no frills Senior member

[​IMG]

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

x infinity.

19. Kid Nickels

nope… still not convinced. & FTFY

20. mimo

mimo Senior member

Frilly, your posts are really quite peculiar sometimes.

I love that about you.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.