1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExhibitA

ExhibitA Senior Member

send a wrist shot when it's in your possession. great choice, the TOG is really nice.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

2. no frills

no frills Distinguished Member

It's a great look - can't blame you for falling in love with that beautiful blue dial and red accents! 'Grats again - on the watch and the incoming bonus!

Haven't shared that tidbit with my TWAT brothers, so here goes: after 15 years in the US of A, finally became eligible for citizenship and took the oath this morning. Bam! In the words of that famous US citizen M.C. Hammer, I guess I had to prove I was legit! Too legit to quit!

[​IMG]

3. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Congrats, frilly.

Lookin' good.

#merica

4. Flake

Flake Senior Member

Awesome Frills! Congrats!

5. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

6. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Hey Frills, congrats on becoming a citizen! I just noticed that your suit, shirt, and tie are nearly a perfect match for Stitchy's new Turn-O-Graph!

7. no frills

Thanks a bunch, folks! Dino944 - an astute observation. I am sure you just missed it, but the shoes in that red shade ("vintage cherry") matches the TOG's red accents too.

Stitchy's choice is quite patriotic, it turns out! [​IMG]

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Just finished reading your little blurb stitchy--great story!

I think you made the right decision. The blue dial and red accents on the ToG are just spectacular. I cannot believe I never that watch even existed.

And you know, the funny thing about the one that got away is that sometimes she is not as great as you remember. Although I know that you always missed your old DJ, I think that this one is the perfect marriage between new and old. I think it will bring you lots of joy! The bracelet is a huge part of a sports watch, and if you do not love it, that is a bit bummer.

I could see it be very difficult to get rid of a Rolex. I think that I could bear with losing my JLC MUT Moon over my Speedmaster. Although I certainly prefer my MUT Moon, as it is objectively a better watch, I love the fact that I can strap on the Speedmaster and do whatever I want with it.

I look forward to seeing some wrist pics! Especially some comparison pics with your PAM.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

9. JonF

JonF Senior Member

Absolutely stunning! Congrats!

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Congratulations, Frilly! Maybe your watch "dealer" had a word with the IRS "Yeah, this guy's definitely a keeper, believe me..."

Does this mean I can't call you "Imelda" any more? :)

11. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

I actually, looked at the shoes in the photo, but couldn't tell if they were more brown than red...sometimes monitor setting can what things look like on the screen vs in person, however they definitely work well with what you were wearing. You should have no doubt, I knew that Mr. Bruce Wayne would have shoes that perfectly matched his outfit.

12. no frills

Hah hah - maybe! You never know who the IRS is looking into these days... as for "Imelda" and other monikers, it's always an honor whatever you call me. Was it you that also coined the term "frillyvolous?" I love that!

You're right! It's far closer to red - here's a better close-up pic.

[​IMG]

Watch-wise I don't really have a strap that "goes perfectly" with "vintage cherry" but I think that matching everything means I'm probably trying too hard (perfectly matching belt color? matching underwear...?! Heh heh).

The general theme was "red, white and blue" (surprise!), so I chose the white metal 3970P even though it was on a black strap (which is eminently adaptable anyway).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Those Deco last actually looks a lot better on the foot than I thought it would. The Collcutt is my favorite of the bunch as well!

14. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior Member

Question from a long-time lurker: I travel a fair amount and have been looking for a good work watch that helps me juggle different time zones. I picked up the new white dial Explorer II (I'm a Rolex fan - I have a Daytona and Sub) but the GMT feature isn't doing it for me. I find myself "calculating" what time it is in the other city and I don't need a complication to do that (unless I'm in India where they are a half hour off UTC - usually I'm so jet lagged when I'm there that knowing what time it is back home is the least of my worries). I'm fast coming to the conclusion that my brain isn't wired to work with a GMT watch.

So that leads me to dual time watches. I plan to look at the AP RO Dual Time (I know there's a lot of love for the RO among this group and I appreciate the craftsmanship but I've never been drawn to them before now) and a couple of the JLCs (Dual Time, World Geographic and Reverso Duo). Thoughts on these? Any others I should check out? Thanks.

15. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Distinguished Member

The Jaeger Master Home Time or Master Geographique would fit the bill for you, and are the nicest/most versatile of that bunch, IMO. The World Geo is a little busy, I think, and the Breitling world time watch is a little less so. In the RO price range, you could also probably get a pre-owned PP world time.

I was recently in the market for a similar watch and picked up a Frederique Constant World Time. Much less cachet to the brand, but also much less costly. I couldn't get past the fact that the JLC Master Geo looks a little like a winking robot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.