1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurger

wurger Senior member

Even Gianni Cerutti didn't post his usual beautiful comments, though he did like the post :facepalm:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. academe

academe Senior member

True; I was going by what seems to generate the most chatter and the overall tone of the conversation. Except for the Oysterquartz, most of the discussion has been of mechanical watches because this is what people put value on in this thread. I think we'd have been more interested to discuss the Blancpain and not the Technomarine, even if it did have high service costs!

1 person likes this.
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Even as a VC owner and fan, I'm not sure I'd say VC's finish exceeds that of Piaget. In some instances, I'd say Piaget's finish is nicer than on some VCs. That being said, they are all superb watches. I haven't actually looked at the new VC Malte small seconds in person, so I can't really say too much about its movement at this point. I would definitely give that watch some serious consideration...although, on this piece I really would have been all over this piece if they had made the movement either rectangular or tonneau shaped rather than just putting a round movement in it. Still that's a very small matter and most companies do that. I think the Malte small seconds gives you not only a beautiful dress watch, but it adds some diversity both in terms of brand and case shape to your collection. If you already have a rectangular watch, a proper tonneau case might be a great piece for you.

I love the case of the Toledo, but I am a tad disappointed with the dial. The use of sticks with Arabics is signficantly less elegant that previous versions of this time only watch. It previously was a manual wind back in the early 1990s (later it became an automatic with a seconds hand and a date window, I didn't like the date window), but the markers used to be applied gold Romans and pyramids which seemed a bit more elegant.

There isn't anything wrong with it. If it fits your needs then that is what matters. Wanting to convince people that it is as good as a Blancpain based on its lower cost, simply isn't going to work. Your rational seems a bit like saying that a Volvo is a good as an Aston Martin because it costs less to service, and gets you from point A to point B. Sure both will get you to the same place but one uses top quality materials, is engineered for a greater degree of performance, and is more exclusive. The fact that your current watch is Swiss doesn't really mean anything. There are average and inexpensive Swiss watches also.

As for it not costing a fortune to service, that's because there really isn't anything of substance inside. Sure a Rolex, a Blancpain or other higher end brand often costs more to service because there is usually a real movement that must be taken apart, cleaned, reassembled, etc. Again, nothing wrong with your watch choice, its just more of a fashion watch rather than what tends to interest people on this forum.

Its actually, surprising how expensive their Historiques pieces have become. Years ago, they generally ranged in price from $5,000-12,000 with just a few more complicated piece closer to $20K. I guess they really are gunning to be priced more like Pateks.

[​IMG] Very true! I got a good laugh from your comment. Thanks.

2 people like this.
  4. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I had a laugh at the Volvo/Aston compare due to the famous swapping of parts when they were part of the same company [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

It has arrived! The watch itself is beautiful and keeping good time. The movement is soooooo smooth to wind, I don't have much experience with high end pieces but compared to the basic JLC Reverso classic I tried on at my AD this movement is much smoother. Feels much more like a classic Cartier tank than I'd expected, I assumed it might feel a bit sportier like the Reverso but nope this is pure dress watch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one downside is the seller didn't disclose that the band was incorrectly sized [​IMG] 19mm when the Basculante needs a 20mm, to make matters worse the 19mm band has a 16mm Cartier deployment. So, being skeptical, I immediately called my Cartier AD to have them authenticate via the serial number with Cartier. After a day or two of anxious waiting the all clear came back, Cartier says it's their baby. But now I'm forced with the decision to buy a new strap and deployment to fit for an additional $800 or use this one and be slightly bothered by the 1mm discrepancy...

3 people like this.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats, the Tank Basculante is a very cool watch, and the F.Piguet movement inside is very nice. Enjoy your new Tank, it looks great !

1 person likes this.
  7. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Congrats, MZ. Very elegant Cartier

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

+1 … Looks great MZ!

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Very cool MZ! Wear it in good health!

10. robw

robw Senior member

Congratulations. Very nice watch. FWIW, you can but a very nice aftermarket 20/16 strap and keep your deployant. You can buy a camille fournet or have one made by ABP Paris. All top quality. While not cheap, you still save some $. There are even less expensive options out there as well. Enjoy

3 people like this.
  11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Splendid MZh, splendid :nodding:

12. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Good to know, I'll check into them both.

13. academe

academe Senior member

Nice one!

MZ: Let us know your experiences with Camile Fournet or ABP Paris. I've heard of both, but not used their services.

14. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

I just reached out to CF to see if they can accommodate a Cartier deployment. I saw the minimum thickness listed was 2mm, the deployment requires 1mm, and it also needs to have no holes.
    If they can't I'll go with ABP but they seem nearly twice the cost right off the bat.

15. academe

academe Senior member

Watches are not a cheap hobby. And much though I like deployants, they do tend to tie you into a manufacturers supply chain, with fewer options...

1 person likes this.
  16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

18. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

Yeah I saw that earlier today. Kind of crazy.

19. mimo

mimo Senior member

[​IMG]

But seriously...that is indeed most cool, congratulations! Seconded on the custom strap, and as you know what you want, shop around a little: there seem to be a lot of independent leather workers out there who will do a custom job, on Etsy and no doubt on every watch forum. There's even a guy on this forum whose user name I forget but I saw the name in his display pic in a thread about shoes or something, and checked it out. Seems reasonable and worth an email?

P.S. Is that jacket from Canali? Your wrist shot is spookily similar to some of mine:

[​IMG]

(Alas, the watch is not mine...)

1 person likes this.
  20. luvmalik

luvmalik Senior member

got my panerai watch today, absolutely loving it. what a beauty.

thanku everyone in this thread, as i was inspired to buy a panerai by going thru this thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.