Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

For some reason I can't multi quote at the moment.

LOLing...(better hope Dino shows up) . Thanks...I couldn't help but chuckle a bit.

I agree 100% regarding size. I would have to try something on that size to be sure I would be happy with it.

IMHO the AP movement is the better of the 2 movements. But others who have a strong PP bias might disagree. If the PP were an ultra thin auto, with as storied a history as cal 2020 (and its variations) it might level the playing field a bit more than just having PP's cache.

2. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Did get to the AP boutique on the Rue Saint-Honore today where the rather foxy agent let me fondle her ... 15400s and 15202s.

Probably going to hell for this, but I honestly prefer the new one. Standard length bracelet fits me to the millimeter, too. It must be a sign!

PS: Paris (or at least the 1st) as usual makes me feel fat, ugly, ill-dressed and poor. Other than that, I love it!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

3. mackmittonz

mackmittonz Well-Known Member

This response and the others thus far are exactly why I posted my question here. The info is extremely helpful and is not some sort of fanboy based drivel. I think I'm leaning toward the AP given the information on the movement. I would love to own a Patek but I thought the movement looked pretty pedestrian as well. I'm not own to just buy something based on the brand typically so I'll wait and grab another Patek when the opportunity arises.

As for the concerns about size, I have to confess that the primary wearer of the watch will be my wife. I typically wear silver colored belt buckles and brown shoes so my brown strap steel case watches get 99% of the wrist time. Maybe once every couple months I'll wear black chelseas and will need a watch and this one could work in a pinch.

Thanks again for everyone's information. It was definitely very helpful!

P.S. The Tiffany branding has nothing to do with why I chose these two watches. I just ended up finding these two and they both had the branding.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

it always makes me happy when we agree on things.

and yes, the time is now!

so our good friend belligero was the closest, in his post below, as far as the tennis connection. sadly for us all, he was off on the watch part.

the tennis champion rhyme was indeed none other than the famed and highly accomplished steffi graf. however, no lange for me.

it is going to be, unless i chicken out at the very last second......

....... a rolex DJ turn-o-graph! yay!

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

No pix of you fondling the foxy agent's....15400s and 15202s? Shame on you.

As for preferring the new one, its a really great watch. They make it because some people will make the mistake of not going to go for the classic 15202. [​IMG] So no worries, you are not going to hell....you just won't be going to heaven. All kidding aside, each RO variation is a beautiful, extremely well made watch...its just people have different preferences and requirements.

You could easily improve how you were dressed by leaving the boutique with an AP...although that might further add to making you feel poor [​IMG]

6. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

Make sure you look in to servicing costs on vintage watches before you finally pull the trigger if cost is a reason went the vintage route.

7. Flake

Flake Senior member

Thunderbird?

PICS!!!

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

In a tragic personal nadir, I rushed home with my overdue dinner, put it to one side to get cold, and instead opened this thread just to see what Stitchy had got. And there's no picture. I am going to hang myself now.

Or maybe eat my dinner.

9. in stitches

no thunderbird. its a 2011. i do like the thunderbird, but i like this one even bettar!!!

lol. sorry bout that.

no pics til next week! in the meantime ill soon share how it came to pass that i selected this model.

10. no frills

no frills Senior member

A Rollie turn-o-graph! Congratulations!

I'm glad you called Omega Male on that transgression, Dino. Sooner or later, someone else would have, if you didn't get there first.

I hope you're still going to be posting again at some point. How was dinner?

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

Hi there - Option 2 is the most basic, classic Calatrava in the line-up of models currently in production. From your picture I think it's the 5119J. It's a manual wind, so take that into consideration when thinking about your dad's preferences (so kind of you to do this, by the way).

The 5119 was my first Patek and it gave me great pleasure. However, I very quickly ramped up my preferences for complications, so through no fault of the 5119 I ended up trading it out easily for more complicated models. It is a very dressy watch but I had no problem wearing it with more informal get-ups; but, it depends on the kind of lifestyle your dad leads as to which one would suit him better.

I'm assuming your dad has no biases against yellow gold, given these two options. Personally I'd go for the AP - the chrono offers a complication that appeals to me aesthetically, and can be worn in more formal as well as informal events. Depending on where you live in Asia, and whether it gets extremely hot and humid, the bracelet will also come in handy versus the leather strap.

Hope this helps and let us know how you decide!

12. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Great choice Stitchy, the turnograph would be my choice if ever limited to just one watch...

13. in stitches

thanks, guys! methinks i will be quite happy with it.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I think Belligero and I should get joint credit for guessing. He was closest with the tennis match, I was closest by guessing it was a Datejust. Congrats on your new addition. Now remember...don't go selling this one like you did with the last DJ...unless of course it helps you swing a Blue/Black GMT [​IMG]
    My first thought was WTF??? How can we, his SF bro's properly appreciate his day without some hot pix from of the foxy AP agent's...pair of ...APs.
    +1, if its a very humid part of Asia a watch on a bracelet makes a lot of sense. Therefore, the RO on a bracelet is a good idea, and if considering a Patek perhaps he should think about a Nautilus model on a bracelet.

15. in stitches

IT IS OFFICIAL!!!! YOU WILL BOTH GET JOINT CREDIT!!!! here is the proof
    though you did not guess it was a turn-o-graph! :) funny thing is, last week the exact same model DJ that i had and sold crossed my desk. could not come to agreement with the client though, he wanted too much. he emailed me back the other day though that he wants to come in and accept my offer. nonetheless, i like the ToG more. ill explain my reasoning and thoughts behind that later when i type out how the purchase came to pass. also, i am definitely buying this with the thought that it will get me one step closer to that blue/black GMT some time down the road. :) where in the hell is newC?????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.