1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Walking on the beach today...

[​IMG]

/M

Tha's my favourite watch, even though it's the most basic of the Seamaster's, I still love it. That was the watch worn in the best of the Pierce Brosnan Bond films, Goldeneye.

2. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Small PSA if you like to tinker with your watches:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9VK56

Can anyone with experience in this area let us know if these tool are any good?

3. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Walking on the beach today...

[​IMG]

/M

I have the Chrono version of this watch with the Valjoux 7750 movement in it. Thing is about a foot thick and weighs like 25 or 30 pounds. I wear it all the time and love it, but in retrospect I'd have probably preferred an auto version of this one.

4. Ahriman4891

Ahriman4891 Senior member

Can anyone with experience in this area let us know if these tool are any good?
    FWIW, watchmakers who post on Watchuseek forum strongly advise against cheap tools. I recently bought a cheap bracelet resizing tool (12 bucks or so). It works, but the actual "tool pin" that pushes the "bracelet pin" out of its hole bends very easily. I had to straighten it and be extra-careful on the next try. YMMV.

5. blofeld

blofeld Senior member

My first PAM. The 164...loving it. I'm already addicted to buying new straps! [​IMG]

6. Singular

Singular Senior member

Preparing for some racing fun...

[​IMG]

/M

7. jbmarine

jbmarine Senior member

Where Neverland Ranch, Santa Monica, and the land
    Does anyone have any experience with the U-Boat brand? I saw one and completely fell in love with it as it reminds me of some Pam's but much simpler.

[​IMG]

8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Looks horrendous IMO - and really completely ridiculous on the wrist.

9. bimmernate

bimmernate Senior member

Nice choice - wore my ref 5513 today on a leather NATO;

[​IMG]

/M

very pretty band, great watch

10. LRTuck

LRTuck New Member

My first post....
    Speaking specifically about these two watches, I prefer the Dornblueth mostly because I'm not a big fan of gold. In general though, I find the GOs more interesting. I feel like the case on the Dornbluth is just too plain Jane. I love the work that Dirk does on the movements to make them unique, and I love the low volume operation and the face. But everytime I look at that case I lose that "special feeling."

11. gdl203

I love the DD case personally but I can see someone being confused or turned off by the juxtaposition of the simple Bauhaus case and ornemented movement and hands.

12. jbmarine

jbmarine Senior member

Looks horrendous IMO - and really completely ridiculous on the wrist.

lol I'm not surprised that you would say that. I'm on the fence on it, though. I only got the seamaster about 5 months ago but I'm already yearning for a new one. If not that, then definitely a luminor marina..

Thoughts on the above?

13. gdl203

lol I'm not surprised that you would say that. I'm on the fence on it, though. I only got the seamaster about 5 months ago but I'm already yearning for a new one. If not that, then definitely a luminor marina..

Thoughts on the above?

If you go back to the first pages of this thread, you'll see that I'm a big fan of the historic Panerai, especially the Luminor Marina. So I would approve this pick. That said, I don't think 44mm PAMs are for everyone either - I've seen too many hockey pucks on puny wrists and owners don't seem to realize it just doesn't fit. So, if you like it and it "fits" your wrist, then by all means treat yourself to the watch you really want, without spending extra money on mediocre choices in between. [​IMG]

14. jbmarine

jbmarine Senior member

[​IMG][/IMG]

Well for size comparison, that's my seamaster on my wrist. What do you think?

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Thoughts on the above?

definitely the Panerai. that U-boat is, imo, a disgusting exaggerated copycat of Panerais.

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

My Raymond Weil Nabucco on a leather strap from Di-Modell. [​IMG]

17. quuz

quuz Senior member

My first "real" watch

[​IMG]

As Im a poor student I couldnt afford anything above 160 euro =( Alltough i love this one.

18. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

I recommended a Chris Ward watch to a friend for her hubby's wedding present. He loved it. Great quality. Unbelievable CS.

19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

My first "real" watch

[​IMG]

As Im a poor student I couldnt afford anything above 160 euro =( Alltough i love this one.

That looks great. Where did you get it?

20. quuz

quuz Senior member

That looks great. Where did you get it?

Thx, I got it from a local store in here in Sweden. I think I've seen a couple on ebay too for you americans. It's a gant park hill rose [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.