The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, but even Frills stated the kind of people wanting PP to make custom watches are shrewd negotiators. They aren't giving PP Carte Blanche with their wallets. Blue dial... Hmmm I was thinking blue dial Reverso? Or maybe a blue dial Datejust as you often lament having sold your last DJ. Beyond those...I'm not sure what is within your sights... But I'm dying to find out!
    I love the Reverso, but I don't love their MR version. Also as for easily getting your money out of it if you tire of it...maybe but it might not be easy. A friend found out the hard way that the used market for higher end JLCs can be tough. He was selling a nearly new ltd Ed. Master series watch in platinum and more than one place told him they wouldn't even make an offer on it. They said high end preowned JLCs are tough to move and none of their clients are interested in them so they won't buy them. They said, Patek, Lange, and some Rolex, AP, and Cartiers they can move all day . That might not be everywhere, but at least in some markets a pricier JLC may not be as easy as you would think it would be to get your $ out of if one tires of it.
    Rolex did do a bi-color bezel steel & gold GMT years ago (but not Coke or Pepsi), it was bronze (brown) & yellow often called "Root beer," but it was unpopular when new. Now they have some appeal to collectors. My former local AD hated them. He said they couldn't give them away. But it's been many years since they offered a bi color bezel on a GMT in steel & gold and I'm not sure they would bother to do it again. While bi-color bezels remained in production throughout the production life of the last generation steel GMTs.

2. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Wise words, I'm sure. I was surprised at the range in prices after a very brief search: no doubt for the reasons you suggest.

Good job nobody listens to me. I must stop sharing half-assed ideas when bored. :)

3. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

The new JLC Reverso?

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:)
    no joke, this is the biggest issue at hand. i have no idea how i am going to make this fly. the mrs usually has a n idea when a new watch is on the way. this is out of the blue. i think im just gonna wear it and hope she doesnt say anything!
    if he is gonna get a JLC repeater it beter be the hybris.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    one of the most beautiful backs all time and a true marvel of minute repeating mechanics. the only of its kind. one hitch, they have orders for the entire run, so he might have to do some fancy footwork to get one. also, at 2.5 mil it comes with the Gyrotourbillon and the Reverso a Tryptique! a deal if ever there was one. TWO FREE GRANDE COMPLICATIONS!!!! WHY THAT IS UNHEARD OF!!!! there is also this marvel, the repetition minutes a rideau. :)
    [​IMG]
    that was truly an amazing post. sadly, none are correct. i wish it was an RO or nautilus, but it aint.
    SOON i will also say, that i do have in the back of my mind to potentially use this as leverage towards a blue black GMT in the future. it is a ways off, but its only a matter of time before we start seeing them on the second hand market. also, i like the root beer rolex!
    nope!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  5. no frills

no frills Senior member

Why do I love this thread so much? The kind of exchange that just happened in the last 1-2 pages. That's why.

[​IMG]

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Blue dial = Nautilus?

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks. Amazingly, the oldest Connie is my daily wear! I do want to get the Speedmaster up and running (I have one other cal 321 Speedy, but couldn't find it; in any event it doesn't have the old-style seconds hand)

9. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

Quick hit. Roughly $10K pre-owned, 15300 Royal Oak or 16520 Daytona?

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I can't think there would possibly be anything quick about the answer to that question.

11. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

12. in stitches

:bounce2:
    if you can spot me about 15k, i will change my plans just so your guess will be right. i think tho, i have overhyped this and the reveal will be a letdown. :(
    that is not a quick question, and neither is wrong. at this very moment, id go RO. but next week that could change.

13. Devoti

Devoti Well-Known Member

I think I would be quite satisfied in life if I was able to commission my own Vacheron Constantin.

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Looking forward to seeing what is incoming! Monetary diff in vs. out is always in the dealers favor [​IMG].
    I'd never get away with that! Mrs. Dino has eagle eyes and wouldn't miss a watch, an item of clothing, or anything else if I wore it.
    Really tough question. Each is so different. I love my 16520. I find the dial a tad more elegant with the smaller luminous markers than on the new 116520s. I also prefer its subdial for continuous second at 9 o'clock. Its movement was thoroughly re-worked and modified by Rolex, so it has more hand workmanship that most do today, and it was the most accurate watch I ever owned. Not as practical as the modern 116520 which has a much longer power reserve, and better built bracelet and clasp...but I still like the 16520 a lot. I like each version of Daytona enough that I kept my oldie and also picked up the current model.

The RO, is an iconic design, cal 3120 is beautiful in house movement, which you can actually view through the saphire glass back. Gives you a date if that matters. Its more finely finished than the 16520, but I find most ROs (other than maybe an Offshore Scuba) a bit more delicate. Its from a brand that many consider far more elite than Rolex.

If the AP were a Jumbo, then I'd go AP. I think on this one, I'd go Daytona. I love the looks of the 16520, and it was in production for less time than any other Daytonas, and also had a lot of re-working of the movement. Also, I know its trivia...but the sweep second hand on the 15300 has always bothered me. I don't like the tail end of it. Small, silly detail I know...but its the details that often make or break a decision for me.

+1
    [​IMG]
    VC's standard production watches are beautiful...but to be able to commission my own "Dino Edition" VC...that would be amazing!

15. in stitches

yeah, same here. but a man can dream cant he?!?

outside of that i have no idea how i wont end up on the porch for a month.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.