The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

that is pretty awesome. did you ask for the combo i offered? if not, please do and get back to me on the price. in all honestly though, if i had absurd amounts of money, i would have no problem paying extreme premiums for a one of kind personal PP model. millions if necessary.

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wempe has two versions of the Rolex Skydweller in its windows on 5th Ave. I was shocked that the watch and dial looks pretty good in person and not nearly as ugly as I thought from the promo photos. Seriously - I have only two complaints: One- it is a bit big (perhaps the movement, which is pretty complex, requires that); and two, I hate the cyclops date bubble. I will never, ever wear a watch with that bubble on it.
    But if you take away the cyclops, it is actually a nice looking watch in person. I was really surprised but how much different and better it looks. And, of course, the size is more a matter of personal taste and proportion. Since most people don't share my cyclops hate, and this is really a fantastic and useful movement, this watch ought to be a big seller.

3. in stitches

i just saw a few in person last week as well. did not hate them. some of the dial configs i actually quite like. i also dont mind a cyclops lens.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

By the way Dopey, thanks for the pics of the collection that you posted. I am always impressed by the diversity of your timepieces, very interesting! And some beautiful watches, I love the connies.

5. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

The PO is a great looking watch, I'm sure you've found a very worthy replacement!

on a side note, I've always been intrigued by Vulcain watches, and this is their new offering. I think it's quite well done. Some probably think 42 mm is too big, but that's the sweet spot for a watch like IMO, and I've heard great things about their alarm function (image borrowed from tz)

[​IMG]

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

My father showed me a recent interview of Thierry Stern that was in one of his magazines . He was asked about custom pieces. IIRC, he said they do them on occasion, but the work they will do is limited. They might modify a current design, in terms of its dial or case. He was not clear as to whether they would modify an existing movement. However, he made it clear they will not go as far as creating a movement for a one off watch. Aside from independents, VC is the only company I'm aware of that offers custom services such that they will create a complete one off watch and movement to suit a customer's wishes.

7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Sorry double post.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

8. in stitches

where there is a will unlimited funds, there is a way.
    ---
    ok, seems the ducks are lined up. now i just need to grab my balls and ready my hand to fork over the money. hint - blue dial.

9. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

:bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

Blue dial eh? Now that has certainly piqued my interest... I am drawing a blank now!

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

And then tell Mrs Stitches. Which presumably is where "duck" comes in.

On the subject of Frilly's future minute repeater, of course there are many options just a little cheaper than the PP (and as a side note, I just saw one on eBay for $750k - plus $150 for shipping!!!). I like the Breguet, there are many IWCs and of course lesser ones. And the platinum JLC Master MR is a beaut, under $100k so within Frilly territory(!) AP have one for half that.

But, dear Frilly (I must start addressing him directly here), there is something else that came to mind: Frills, you mentioned ages ago that you don't have a Reverso and might join that club. The Reverso minute repeater is pretty lovely and individual in my humble and uninformed opinion. And available for thirty something grand at the drop of a hat. A mere bagatelle for a man of your standing. So it occurs to me that you might take a look at one and perhaps kill two birds with one stone: live with a minute repeater for a while and see if it really fascinates you, without selling either of your children, and join the Friends of Stitchy Reverso club in some style. And if you don't like it, it's unusual enough for you to get your money back.

But surely anyone would like it. I mean, it's a rose gold Reverso with guilloche dial, blued hands, and something unusual poking through the corner that makes you go "ooh". I mean,

[​IMG]

11. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

This thread flies by quickly! I always try to catch up late at night and sometimes I miss 3 or 4 pages! I had a quick question after looking at the new Blue/Black GMT again, any idea if the SS/YG piece will get the split bezel or just the SS version? Looking through used Rolex sites I cannot find older Pepsi/Coke bezels on anything other than SS

12. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I think Dino might suggest this.

Or he and Frilly might open the club for these.

More realistically (and I seriously think about this a lot) would be this.

However, more aspirationally, I did recently raise the subject of this.

I doubt very much it would be this.

And although it would suit him, probably not even this.

Going back to your previous post, I never liked orange but have a guilty affection for the nonsense that is this.

But I doubt that's for Stitchy, and neither, given his earlier comments about old men, is this.

OK, I just have no idea what he is getting. But for the joy I somehow feel it would bring him, I kind of hope it's this.

(P.S. I like blue dials, and apart from "old men" second to last, have drooled over every one of these at some point in the last few months. Because TWAT has ruined my life.)

13. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I greatly enjoyed that post Mimo :).

You may be right about the AP RO...

I thought about the Nomos, but it sounds like this is used, and I doubt the blaugold is very prevalent on the used market... Hmmm.

I would love to see the FPJ Chronometre Bleu.

14. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Happy to be of assistance - just a quick review of my (secret shame - she made me do it) Pinterest board for anything blue (except the old man).

If it's used, yeah, the FPJ would be serious individual bragging rights. It's sooo beautiful! But a used RO, maybe just a touch more attainable but still so iconic and impressive...I rather hope that's it. :)

15. Flake

Flake Senior member

I recall several years ago, someone on Timez0ne (Anthony?) posting audio of several different MR models. The Breguet was the winner for me. It even helped bolster my affinity for the brand even more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.